Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

But, at least supposedly (and apparently usually in fact), they are not paid any more so than any other student in similar circumstances is paid.

Someone posted the results of a survey on this issue a few weeks (months?) back which suggested that, if anything, fear of NCAA sanctions may mean that many colleges are giving athletes LESS than they are entitled to (alas, I can't locate that thread, though I would guess it is here in the general dIII issues board somewhere).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 26, 2006, 08:04:40 PM
But, at least supposedly (and apparently usually in fact), they are not paid any more so than any other student in similar circumstances is paid.

Someone posted the results of a survey on this issue a few weeks (months?) back which suggested that, if anything, fear of NCAA sanctions may mean that many colleges are giving athletes LESS than they are entitled to (alas, I can't locate that thread, though I would guess it is here in the general dIII issues board somewhere).

Mr Ypsi, you are correct to remember that string which was started by johnnie esq in his post

http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=3880.340

Pat Coleman

Warren:

What happens if that student-athlete decides to stop playing sports? :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 26, 2006, 09:15:52 PM
Warren:

That's when I think the school has done its job.  I'm not saying no one should be playing sports, but that the ability to give up something that has been such a large part of your life up to this point in favor of something that will be a large part of your life in the future is the sort of thing college should be teaching.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 26, 2006, 09:15:52 PM
Warren:

In that case, the financial aid arrangements continue; he/she is then being "paid" (merely?) to be a good student. That's the joy of D3.  ;)

Pat Coleman

That's my point exactly. That's why it's not the same as D-I. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 27, 2006, 01:40:57 AM
That's my point exactly. That's why it's not the same as D-I. :)

Guess I was pretty good at restating the obvious, huh?  :-[

Knightstalker

But does the financial aid if fact continue, or could it be that when an athlete at a D-III school stops playing the next academic year their financial aid status changes and they get less aid?  Has this happened? I don't know for sure but the cynic in me thinks that this is a very strong possibility at some schools.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not sure there status is allowed to change, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that it does at some schools.

If they are really being compliant, it shouldn't matter whether the athlete stops playing or not.  Even the schools that give those "leadership" or "activity" scholarships to athletes justify them based on their high school extra-curriculars.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hoops Fan on May 30, 2006, 10:28:47 AM

I'm not sure there status is allowed to change, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that it does at some schools.

If they are really being compliant, it shouldn't matter whether the athlete stops playing or not.  Even the schools that give those "leadership" or "activity" scholarships to athletes justify them based on their high school extra-curriculars.

I agree with HoopsFan.  I am sure that the Leadership Scholarships are among the first that are considered in any statistical treatment, 33% athletes in the student body, 33% composition of the leadership scholarships and continued followup on the "Leadership Scholarship Renewals and Retention"  thruout their academic course.

Knightstalker

That is why I asked the question, my financial aid status was reviewed every year.  I did not have scholarships but I did have grants and other types of aid that were reviewable.  At NJCU I know that several departments scholarships were reviewable year by year.  This is the type of aid I was wondering about.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Joe-Man

Since we're talking about the future, I think that Calvin will do alot better if they get Matt Veltema. He's actually my friend's older brother, and I think once he's trained up a bit more, he could lead Calvin to the NCAA Tournament... and maybe even win!
"Life is like a 3 pointer, whether you miss it or not,  take the shot."~Joe-Man

jdean

dateline 5-30-07.
Among rulings released by the Supreme Court this morning was the controversial case involving the attempt by the NCAA to ban the use of Indian nicknames and logos by member schools. In a unanimous ruling, the court said "not only are these nicknames and logos offensive to the Tribes that they mock, they violate the Tribe's right to privacy." In a ruling that will create chaos and unrest for schools at all levels, Judge Thomas went on to say "The court also finds that from this point forward nicknames and logos may only be selected from an approved list of vegetables, fruits and body parts."
The ACLU was quick to applaud the ruling. Lead Attorney Howard Stern said "We will be filing a suit tomorrow requesting all churches, schools, universities, hospitals, any entity that has a religious name attached to it, be ordered to delete any religious attachment from their name." Mr Stern went on to say "the atheist and agnostic citizens of this country also have a right to privacy. They are confronted with these names on every street corner, newspaper, TV, radio and on the internet. Its time these institutions learn how much damage their names are doing to the majority of this country."
Mr Stern said they will be seeking $600 trillion dollars in damages unless every offending name is changed to vanilla, hooters or library. He said if they are successful with that case they will then seek to reduce air pollution by requiring sermons to be given in Braille.
The Pope was not available for comment. Pat Robertson said he will be advising his followers to team up with foreign terrorists and the Nation of Islam to declare a jihad on the ACLU and all attorneys.
The White House will provide its view "when its had an opportunity to study the ruling." Sen Kennedy said he is preparing a bill to outlaw all thought, study, speech or practice of religion. "Its nothing but a brainwashing scheme to extort money from the weak", he said from a bar stool at the Neighborhood Inn.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Opposing the ACLU in this matter will be lawyers from the ACLU... it should be quite a battle.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

BSC into the SCAC already.  You have to imagine this was basically a done deal before BSC would venture into the unknown, so to speak.  They must have had extensive contact with the SCAC while considering the move, right?