Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilburt

Does this scrimmage rule apply to track and field, cross country and tennis?
Fisk University: Founded by Missionaries, Saved by Students.

Six time SIAC Football Champions 1913, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1973 and 1975.

Six NFL draft picks and one Pro Bowler!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I would assume it applies across the board, what with the NCAA being all egalitarian and stuff.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

diehardfan

uhm, how exactly does one regulate cross country... and why would one even care? don't you just run? why would it help to have a guy there? ???
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 09, 2006, 11:50:56 AMGood to know.  I'm glad I didn't contribute to any NCAA violations, although that might be something fun to brag about, like the time I was kicked out of Canada.

Got a little too grabby when you went to see the Windsor Ballet, eh?  ;)

Quote from: diehardfan on August 10, 2006, 12:30:14 AM
uhm, how exactly does one regulate cross country... and why would one even care? don't you just run? why would it help to have a guy there? ???

Perhaps women's cross-country coaches enlist the best-looking male on campus to run ahead of the women and give them something to chase, a la the electric rabbit at the dog track. Or perhaps the coaches enlist the worst-looking male on campus to chase the female harriers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

diehardfan

it would have to be a piano playing d3fan and theologian who likes art, theatre, poetry, nature and hiking to make the chase worth it in my book :P

if it was just a good looking guy with no substance, I'd just stand there and roll my eyes  ::)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess that's why you don't run cross-country.

wilburt

Nice discussion about X-Country but what about swimming?  Can't have different sexes practicing in the same pool now can we :o

But seriously, at many schools the Men and Women Cross Country and Track teams share the same Head Coach and "practice" together.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wilburt on August 10, 2006, 09:23:38 AM
Nice discussion about X-Country but what about swimming?  Can't have different sexes practicing in the same pool now can we :o

Now Wilburt, you may be just old enough to remember your grandmother's concerns about "mixed" bathing as our friends the Baptists would call it.

My Baptist friends who went off to Church camp were not permitted to swim at the same time as the opposite gender.

wilburt

Have the Southern Baptists taken over the NCAA?  If so, then that would explain the scrimmage rule  :D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah but for sports such as swimming or cross country where the men's and women's teams and seasons coincide, the men practicing with the women are on the men's team.  I think this rule is for non-participating athletes.

wilburt

I don't think the proposed rule makes that distinction Hoops Fan, but I could be wrong.

I was just trying to point out how silly some of the NCAA rules can be if taken/applied to its logical extreme...

To me the rule was intended to apply to "contact" sports like basketball, lacrosse and volleyball (maybe a stretch there) rather than to "non-contact" sports like track, tennis and swimming.  But that's just me  ;D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yes but when two teams use the same facilities to practice at the same time, they are not necessarily practicing together.  I would extend that to the course or the pool.  Just because the two teams occupy the same space, does not mean they are practicing together.

And that concludes my contribution to today's pointless semantics debate.  Funny how often those pop up around the NCAA, huh?

Knightstalker

All these silly semantics are why my nephew enjoys coaching at an NAIA school more fun than coaching at an NCAA school.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Gregory Sager

Quote from: knightstalker on August 10, 2006, 10:55:06 PM
All these silly semantics are why my nephew enjoys coaching at an NAIA school more fun than coaching at an NCAA school.

That's because at NAIA schools they think "semantics" was the nose-twitching babe that was married to Darren on Bewitched.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

frank uible

Proposed Rules of Thumb: Less NCAA is more. No NCAA is nirvana.