Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Yes, MIT is also a member of the Assoc of Amer Universities.  MIT, CalTech, and Hopkins are the only private, non-UAA, D3 members of the AAU (although Hopkins was a founding member)
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Trailer Dog on September 30, 2006, 02:41:01 AM
Quote from: David Collinge on October 13, 2005, 03:33:41 PM

The UAA schools share an academic philosophy that very few other D3 schools share (perhaps limited to CalTech and Johns Hopkins): the national research-oriented university.

Would you label the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Chicago as "national research-oriented universit(ies)"?

UAA History

As CWRU70 said, Johns Hopkins has been a member.

Gregory Sager

The University of Chicago is not only a national research-oriented university, it is the national research-oriented university. The U of C's list of 79 Nobel Prize laureates easily outdistances that of any other American university, and the school is considered to be America's pacesetter in physics and economics as far as research institutions are concerned. It's also highly-renowned on the graduate level in the fields of literary criticism, sociology, and archaelogy. Grad students outnumber undergrads 2 to 1 on the U of C campus.

The University of Chicago is where the first self-sustaining nuclear reaction was conducted (aptly for this website's purposes, that first nuclear pile was constructed under the stands of the U of C's football field). I don't know how much more quintessential an example of a research university at work you can get than that.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

While I can't provide the detail that Sager can, spending even an hour on the campus of MIT will convince just about anyone of their "research" credentials.  I was a doubter myself until my first trip there.

I was amazed at the quality and production of the "other" schools at MIT.  They have one of the finest history programs in the country, for one.  I'm not sure of their graduate to undergraduate ratio, but it's certainly much higher than any other school I've been around.

The least "research oriented" school in the UAA is Brandeis and it is certainly no slouch.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

The D-III Championships Committee meeting on September 17-19 discussed some interesting issues:

1)  the possibility of increasing multiyear agreements with championship hosts  (to encourage capital improvements to the championship site, maybe even a new Luxury Suite/Skybox for the D3football crew in Salem,VA  ;D ).

2) the growing difficulty of accommodating institutions with written policies against competition on days of religious observance.

3)  a desire by some institutions to obtain automatic qualification to championships through single-sport conferences.  (The Illini-Badger and the New England football Conference are the only two remaining that were "grandfathered" in football  in 1998.  The Freedom FC has disbanded and the Atlantic Coast Football Conference has never had enough members since its formation.)

4)  whether AQ might be granted to single-sport conferences in specific situations (for example, for emerging or geographically isolated sports).

Now that is sufficiently vague to prompt much speculation, but the Committee Report will be published on October 9th.

Pat Coleman

The ACFC missed the grandfathering deadline. Number of members is not a factor.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So the alternative for the New England football teams is a Pool B scenario?

Pat Coleman

No, they could align under the MASCAC banner or any existing multi-sport conference or any new multi-sport conference, just not as a new single-sport conference.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Oh, ok.  I guess I mis-understood what Ralph was saying.  I thought they were considering getting rid of the single-sport conferences altogether, even the grandfathered ones.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hoops Fan on October 04, 2006, 01:12:06 PM

Oh, ok.  I guess I mis-understood what Ralph was saying.  I thought they were considering getting rid of the single-sport conferences altogether, even the grandfathered ones.

No, no!  They are apparently still in good standing as conferences, and Pat was right about the ACFC missing the deadline.  (In 1998, I was just trying to get used to the fact that the (NAIA) TIAA was now the D3 ASC, and I had not discovered D3Hoops.com!)

I am still trying to figure out what new geographically isolated single sport conferences they mean.  Men's and Women's Lacrosse?  Men's and Women's Water Polo?  Men's Volleyball?  Men's and Women's Golf?  Emerging Sports like Women's Rugby?   ???

David Collinge

Quote from: Trailer Dog on September 30, 2006, 02:41:01 AM
Quote from: David Collinge on October 13, 2005, 03:33:41 PM

The UAA schools share an academic philosophy that very few other D3 schools share (perhaps limited to CalTech and Johns Hopkins): the national research-oriented university.

Would you label the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Chicago as "national research-oriented universit(ies)"?

Chicago is in the UAA, Trailer Dog.  I must have forgotten about MIT when I posted this a year ago.  I can't name all of the D3 schools off the top of my head, even if I might like to be able to do so.  :) Anyway, I stand by my original assertion that very few D3 schools outside the UAA are national research-oriented universities.

Ralph Turner

A little academic trivia,

Name a land grant college in New York?  in Massachusetts?

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 04, 2006, 07:57:09 PM
A little academic trivia,

Name a land grant college in New York?  in Massachusetts?

I don't know about MA, but I believe Cornell, at least part of it, is a land-grant institution (as strange as that might be for an Ivy venue).

Ralph Turner

Cornell!

A hint for Massachusetts; it is D3.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 04, 2006, 09:04:35 PM
Cornell!

A hint for Massachusetts; it is D3.

MIT (but I confess I looked it up   :-[) and UMass (I looked that up, as well  :-[).