Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

Quote from: cush on June 18, 2007, 06:40:40 PM
Well, if there is a split i think you would have to pencil in the SCAC to go to d4. My guess is your also looking at some conference membership changes if a d4 happens. For instance, I'd agree with the assumption that  Oglethorpe might not stick with the scac. Barring emory or wash u leaving the UAA, not gonna happen unless the uaa has major issues with going to d4,  i'd think UofDallas would get an invite to the SCAC. Also could see the ncac change up and no doubt depauw probably would like to land a spot there which would open another invite for the scac to get back to 12. In that case if Centenary  really is going d3-4, than they probably would land in the scac.

I don't foresee any changes to the NCAC as they rush headlong towards D4.  I get the impression that these ten colleges form a pretty unified group.

Warren Thompson

DC:

You mean to say that Witt and Wooster would be content to play with the "elites"?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: David Collinge on June 18, 2007, 07:06:58 PM
Well, if there is a split i think you would have to pencil in the SCAC to go to d4. My guess is your also looking at some conference membership changes if a d4 happens. For instance, I'd agree with the assumption that  Oglethorpe might not stick with the scac. Barring emory or wash u leaving the UAA, not gonna happen unless the uaa has major issues with going to d4,  i'd think UofDallas would get an invite to the SCAC. Also could see the ncac change up and no doubt depauw probably would like to land a spot there which would open another invite for the scac to get back to 12. In that case if Centenary  really is going d3-4, than they probably would land in the scac.

I don't foresee any changes to the NCAC as they rush headlong towards D4.  I get the impression that these ten colleges form a pretty unified group.

Your alma mater is part of this Haverford Group that is quoted above.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

David Collinge

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 18, 2007, 07:51:42 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on June 18, 2007, 07:06:58 PM

Your alma mater is part of this Haverford Group that is quoted above.

The individual schools may have their own opinions and desires, but I think the conference will stand as a whole whatever happens.  That's just my impression.

Pat Coleman

I think we will see more than a few conferences split apart if the division splits. Can't say I have any special knowledge of the NCAC, however.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

cush, welcome aboard!   :)

UDallas needs to add one more women's sport and two more men.

Possible candidates might be indoor track for both or tennis for both or adding men's lacrosse to the women's program.

I think that UDallas is most likely to add Lacrosse outside the SCAC schools, but finding enough lacrosse players in Texas in 2007 is still tough.

Ralph Turner

johnnie_esq reports on some of the votes in the document as they occurred in the 2006 convention.

+1!  :)

snowboy40

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 18, 2007, 11:29:47 PM
cush, welcome aboard!   :)

UDallas needs to add one more women's sport and two more men.

Possible candidates might be indoor track for both or tennis for both or adding men's lacrosse to the women's program.

I think that UDallas is most likely to add Lacrosse outside the SCAC schools, but finding enough lacrosse players in Texas in 2007 is still tough.

snowboy40

....sorry about that last non-post.....what i meant to say was, if a school like dallas was to add lacrosse as a sport, they may not have that hard of a time coming up with players. there are 64 high school teams in texas plus if you include "bordering states" like colorado (48 teams) and missouri (32 teams), that's really not such a bad pool for your average d3 team especially since, at this point, you are only competing against club teams in the state( not that there's anything wrong with club teams). i did find it interesting (if i read that d3/d4 report correctly) that the projected 10 year growth for lacrosse at the d3 level was one more program. i can't really say i know much about the gathering of statistics, but a ludicrous projection like that makes me wonder how much else in that report is skewered one direction or another.

Pat Coleman

That report is only talking about programs coming from the NAIA.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 19, 2007, 09:56:59 AM
That report is only talking about programs coming from the NAIA.

The NAIA is kind of like the Sundance Film Channel.  Every once in a while a movie comes on that you've heard of but usually its a bunch of wierd group of projects.

Wydown Blvd.

I was a little confused by the previous talk about the documents. You guys are so knowledgable about d3 and the NCAA that the lingo was a bit out of my league. (thats a complimnent not a criticism by any means) For anyone else like me, (who is clueless about d3 football) you can check this link for a couple documents from the NYT that explain everything in layman's terms.
Working Group Document

(Note-- I have modified the post for better "fit" on the screen.  Thanks for the NYT link! -- Ralph Turner)

cush

Nice finds, those pretty much explain the situation. There does seem to be a civil war going on in d3 which is somewhat confusing since the elite school's have already separated from the non-elites with conference affiliations in d3, don't see the need  to break those conferences out of d3. It could be a real mess with who goes where if a d4 happens. Speaking of changes, after reading those documents, if Berea College goes d3, i could see them get a spot if an opening happens in the scac.

Pat Coleman

Interesting that the 20 people Pennington references cite 150 schools would move over. That doesn't seem to coincide with the 11 conferences that the NCAA survey suggests.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on June 19, 2007, 02:50:51 PM
Speaking of changes, after reading those documents, if Berea College goes d3, i could see them get a spot if an opening happens in the scac.
cush, I will assume that you have a reasonable knowledge of Berea.

I know they have the endowment.

But would they want to spend that much time on the airplanes to Texas and Colorado and the Deep South versus the Heartland for D3 or the NCAC for D4?