MIAC 2017

Started by MinnesotaSoccer10, August 30, 2017, 12:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaSoccer10

Hopefully a good MIAC thread can get going this year for us nerds. In anticipation of games starting this weekend I figured I would get a thread going.

Hopefully we'll have another exciting season for the conference and I look forward to some discussion/banter on here!

MinnesotaSoccer10

I will do some brief analysis in order of the MIAC Coaches poll that was released Monday.

St. Thomas: Rightfully the number 1 team to start. There is a lot of talent on the team, but they need to prepare a back 4 from last year that was the foundation of their final 4 run. they do return their midfield and attacks, and added some transfers to their front 6 as well. As long as they can manage all those mouths to feed, and replace their backline they should win the conference.

Macalaster: They lost a few key players, but they should be very solid once again. They play a tough brand of soccer that makes them very hard to beat. Arguably the lost less than UST and they should challenge for the title as well.

Augsburg: Holker has done wonders for the program. They played well last year, but lost some key players for this year. Their play last year relied heavily on athletic wing backs to cover a lot of space, so replacing those two spots will be tough. Also the loss of Kohl (who isn't currently fostered) will hurt as well. But an already great Vang will be exciting to watch again as he enters his sophomore year.

Gustavus: Started slow last year but played well in conference. They did not lose much to graduation, but their success will rely on young guys stepping up to the plate in their sophomore and junior years. Only time will tell if GAC is on the decline or has just had a few rougher seasons these last 2 years.

St. John's: Always a tough and physical side to play against. They graduated a lot, and need to replace their backbone which is a lot to ask. They still have some goal scorers left, but will need new guys to step up for them to compete for a title.

Carleton: Another case of graduating some key players without direct heirs in their sight. Will need to replace Phelp's offense to compete. But Carleton usually does well enough to make the playoffs and that is definitely achievable.

St. Olaf: Their terrible joke pitch is always hard for road teams. They need to replace some key players as well, but they keep their pace in attack. It will be interesting to see what kind of quality they have this season.

Hamline: Only graduated 1, but he was one of their best players and a leader. They will need people to make strides again this year to crack the playoffs, but I think it is still possible for them as it will be a tight race for the last 2 playoffs spots.

Bethel: Played extremely well last year, but need to replace Jaderholm's production. They lack the full squad and first 11 depth to compete throughout the whole season, but can beat anyone if they play well.

Concordia: Worst pitch in the MIAC and a terribly long trip make for a tough away game. Beyond that, they don't have the quality to compete, and do any damage really.

St. Mary's: Surprisingly picked last, they played well last year. They packed it in with a 5 back system and hit long balls. This tactic got them points, but they weren't threatening enough in attack to grab enough points to make the playoffs. Expect more frustrating and boring soccer this season.

This is my round up, I obviously don't have all the info on every team, and I did my best to stay unbiased. I would love to hear others opinions as wel!

repete

Johnnies have a lot of work to do, but eked out an OT win over an overmatched IIAC team in their opener. I guess disorganization was to be expected, but they need to get their communication and back line down before they face any strong opponent. A typical Loras team would feast on their mistakes today. And what's with passes from the keeper barely clearing the 18?

Part of that may be that long grass. It may be a necessity given the long, hard season, but it really slows the game in Collegeville. I turned from that game to Maryland-UCLA on the bermuda at Ludwig Field. Not fair to compare the levels, of course, but the perfect turf there really made it a much more watchable game and just a bit of a cut would speed things up (if SJU wanted to).

It was nice to see former Johnnie Tudor Flintham with a head coaching gig.

MinnesotaSoccer10

Not a great showing for some MIAC teams yesterday as Bethel falls to Crown and Hamline falls to Northwestern. Not a great look for either team.

CarlEtonDad

Not a great look is the understatement of the year. I would use the word 'embarrassing', but I am accustomed to a higher standard of soccer. Good to see the Knights out of the blocks well so far. They are looking especially strong defensively having yet to surrender.

gustiefan04

Gusties out of the gate with a stronger start than last year, picking up 2 wins against the top two teams in the UMAC. Offensively, the Gusties didn't set the world on fire. Hopefully they can find a way to finish a few more goals as they move into a tough week of games. I had the opportunity to watch part of the game vs. CSS, and GAC looked very good defensively.

Looking forward to see how the Gusties stack up against Luther and Wartburg this weekend. Should be an exciting weekend in St. Peter.

CarlEtonDad

Dream strike from the first year Knight to top GAC in overtime in what appeared to be an even game! First win to lead off conference play since 2011 for CarlEton. Strange stat for a team who has been a mainstay in the postseason for the last decade.

CarlEtonDad

The Knights took a gut punch last night at the hands of Mac. CarlEton went up 1-0 late with a brilliant free kick from Tashi.o only to surrender a few minutes later and then fall immediately in the overtime period. Mac were the better side as they were first to the ball, getting through tackles, and winning the aerial game. The Scots had two or three great chances to get their noses in front early but poor finishing and strong goalkeeping from Hilliard kept them at bay. But the Knights withstood the pressure and looked dangerous on the counter attack. The loss will sting for the Knights as they will feel they had the game in their hands with 15 minutes to play.

It will be interesting to see how both teams fare in the rest of the MIAC season. Macalester (2-0) don't look to be as strong as they have been the last two seasons but have a way of getting results. I see them finishing 2nd this year. CarlEton (1-2) is a very young team that is playing good soccer and improving with each game. They will need to outwork their opponents and DEFEND, DEFEND, DEFEND! Both are things they can do with the pieces they have. I expect to see the Knights finishing in 4th or 5th.

MinnesotaSoccer10

With a little over half of the conference season gone, things are starting to shape up in the conference. St. Thomas seems to be running away with the conference, with a 10-0 season looking very likely. Macalaster is looking likely for 2nd, while the top 4 seems to be rounded out with Gustavus and Hamline. The final 2 playoff spots are up for grabs with anyone right now. With only 4 point separating 5th and the bottom.

Nobody in the conference outside of UST and Mac seem to be consistently getting expected results, making for the conference this year looking a bit top heavy, and very jumbled at the bottom. It will be very interesting to see how things shake out.

gustiefan04

It was announced yesterday that Gustavus Coach, Mike Middleton has decided to retire. A national search for his replacement is underway.

https://athletics.blog.gustavus.edu/2018/02/27/mike-middleton-announces-retirement-as-gustavus-mens-soccer-coach/