Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmackowiakSGSN

Salisbury University men's lacrosse senior defenseman selected with the 58th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2018 MLL Draft

https://thesuflyer.com/2018/04/18/mlax-salisburys-tucker-selected-in-2018-mll-draft/

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 18, 2018, 06:37:14 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 18, 2018, 01:35:16 PM

Vandy... I've got good news for you ... your wish has been heard.

Dave,

People don't listen to me very often but it's good when they choose the right time to do it.  That is very good news.  Here's hoping that a 'CAC team is among the elite group you'll be covering.

I was actually given a choice (that's never happened before)... I loved both choices and it would have been a blast at either, but I wanted to return to WLAX. It also fits far better into what has, THANKFULLY(!), become a rather busy schedule in May and beyond (you don't know how much I needed it to be busy).

I look forward to being on the call. I am hoping my color commentator is who I think it is - we go WAY back. If not, we will still do our very best to the viewers while enjoying the beauty of the Roanoke Valley once again.

I suspect a NESCAC school will be there (I can't go 'CAC; I played college soccer in the actual CAC LOL), but I do agree... we can only hope.

In the meantime, I will focus on honing my call the rest of the season (been calling McDaniel WLAX once again this year).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Amherst's Lax teams keep on rolling along.  Watched the second half of Mddlebury's big win over Tufts in Medford. Looks like Amherst and Midd are going to meet again in the Nescac Tourny...WLax...as Vandy predicted.  Seems The Panthers wait for the second half to blow their opponents away.

PolarCat

Big wins for Bowdoin and Trinity in the first round of the NESCAC WLAX tournament yesterday, with the Angry Chickens knocking off the Jumbos in Medford.  Middlebury and Amherst also prevailed, setting up a great weekend of lax, craft-beer-sipping and cow-tipping in Vermont next week.  Hopefully all four teams will get NCAA bids.

ephoops

Quote from: PolarCat on April 29, 2018, 08:01:05 AM
Big wins for Bowdoin and Trinity in the first round of the NESCAC WLAX tournament yesterday, with the Angry Chickens knocking off the Jumbos in Medford.  Middlebury and Amherst also prevailed, setting up a great weekend of lax, craft-beer-sipping and cow-tipping in Vermont next week.  Hopefully all four teams will get NCAA bids.

Agree on all points.  I expect three great games at Midd this weekend. 

My expectation is that Amherst rolls Bowdoin.  The Midd v Trinity game should be a barnburner.  I expect a lot of back and forth action with Midd prevailing in the end.

An Amherst v Midd final could be a epic battle for the NESCAC championship.

I expect all four teams to get a bid.  The winner of the NESCACs will be in a position to be one of four hosts for the second weekend of the tournament.  (I assume that the Committee is looking at TCNJ, Gettysburg, Salisbury and the NESCAC champ as the four hosts for the 2nd weekend.)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

At least the women's committee tends to spread the wealth and good teams around... men love to put together horrific tournaments, but I digress.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

cmackowiakSGSN

Salisbury University men's & women's lacrosse are both headed to the 2018 NCAA DIII Tournament after winning their respective conference titles. I give info on their placements in the brackets below:
https://thesuflyer.com/2018/05/06/su-mlax-discovers-path-to-third-straight-national-title/
https://thesuflyer.com/2018/05/06/su-wlaxs-path-to-fourth-program-title/

amh63

Followed the lax games...both MLax and WLax..overthe weekend a bit.  My qualifier is due to tech problems with my new toy...big IPad Pro.  Had some software issues vice hardware. May require another trip to the Apple store for a new toy...under warranty soon.  Cannot get the video feels.
Anyway, as other followers on this board are aware, the Nescac got six...yes six teams into the women's ncaa Tourny.  Most all will host games in the 2nd round.  There are three men's teams going into the post season.  Amherst will have both men and women teams hosting games. 
Congrats to Polarcat's WLax team great play in the CAC title game. 
A slight regret is the Title final 4 in WLax in Salem, Va. is on the wrong weekend for me.  Seems I will be up at Amherst for my last formal reunion...with all my kids and their families.
For non Nescac posters, the Nescac teams in the postseason can be found on Nescac.org and on the Amherst.edu web sites.

amh63

Kind of quiet on this board!  Guess it is due in part to graduation plans, etc.  Still, there are 4 Nescac teams playing this Sat.wrt WLax.  Have not decided to attend the Amherst game in Gettysburg or watch the Amherst vs Wesleyan match on-line. 
There is a problem for a number of teams that comes up this time of year.  Seniors travel time.  Will they attend graduation or play if their team wins.  I discussed this situation with some fathers many years ago.  Their sons were key players in baseball.  Both players went to graduation.
Some schools have early graduation for seniors who play on teams, like Tufts in the past and Gettysburg presently.  Some schools have graduation later and some early.  Midd has a later graduation date and is hosting a sectional.  Amherst has several seniors that are key players.  Seniors must attend some events on Fri.  Graduation is on Sunday morning.  Still, there is no time to join their teammates if Amherst wins on Sat. 
Would be interesting to hear from conflicted parent PolarCat on this matter.

Gray Fox

Quote from: amh63 on March 25, 2018, 09:44:39 AM
Back again, one eye done another eye in a couple of weeks.  Did follow some lacrosse games in the Northeast...cold weather.  Amherst teams seem to be rolling.  Did not see Hannah Fox, the Soph point guard... WBB all-American...get into a lacrosse game yet.  If she improves on the field like she did on the hardwood floor, Amherst may finish very high in the conference this season.

+k for the cataract surgery.  Halo effect.  I recently had mine done.  What a revelation. 
Fierce When Roused

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 07, 2018, 11:41:55 AM
Followed the lax games...both MLax and WLax..overthe weekend a bit.  My qualifier is due to tech problems with my new toy...big IPad Pro.  Had some software issues vice hardware. May require another trip to the Apple store for a new toy...under warranty soon.  Cannot get the video feels.
Anyway, as other followers on this board are aware, the Nescac got six...yes six teams into the women's ncaa Tourny.  Most all will host games in the 2nd round.  There are three men's teams going into the post season.  Amherst will have both men and women teams hosting games. 
Congrats to Polarcat's WLax team great play in the CAC title game. 
A slight regret is the Title final 4 in WLax in Salem, Va. is on the wrong weekend for me.  Seems I will be up at Amherst for my last formal reunion...with all my kids and their families.
For non Nescac posters, the Nescac teams in the postseason can be found on Nescac.org and on the Amherst.edu web sites.

amh63,

Do some conference schools still require attendance at graduation ceremonies over post season play?  This sounds very much like the administrative attitude twenty years ago when permission to play in NCAA tournaments had finally been granted by the powers that be.  Not sure if the rule is still enforced but I could be wrong.  I have a problem similar to your own, btw  I'll be missing this coming weekend's action as I plan on attending my niece's graduation from Amherst on Sunday.

It has been too quiet on this board lately and I'm as guilty as anyone for it.   It's always made me a bit uncomfortable that this seems to be only a NESCAC forum.  Each season some posters with rooting interests elsewhere show up early in the season but seldom stay.  It would have been good for cmackowiackSGSN to have kept posting about Salisbury lacrosse especially since the Seagulls are a force in both the man's and women's game.  As deep as the NESCAC is in quality teams, particularly on the women's side, it's been Salisbury, Gettysburg and Franklin & Marshall earning the top prize most often over the past decade.  Hamilton's 2008 victory and perhaps even their 2010 runner-up status was achieved while they still represented the Liberty League. 

Posters rooting for "west" region programs would be more than welcome.  The sport is growing and improving rapidly there.  What Mount Union's inaugural class accomplished in their four seasons makes the biblical David look like a slacker by comparison, as I so noted in a post two seasons back.  Denison, no doubt stunned to learn that neither they nor any of their NCAC brethren were the best team in Ohio responded by taking on Gettysburg and Dickinson this season as well as the top teams in the CCIW, SCIAC, OAC and always strong independent Colorado College.  They face Salisbury on Saturday.  Illinois Wesleyan owned the CCIW this season where Augustana, albeit rebuilding this year, was impressive a few seasons back when they traveled west to defeat SCIAC champion Redlands on a Wednesday and faced then defending champ Trinity in Hartford, CT three days later.  IWU is still alive and faces Middlebury on Saturday  This season's SCIAC champion Claremont-Mudd-Scripps opened their schedule against DI UC-Davis.  Colorado College, with a Final Four appearance on it's resume avenged a regular season loss to C-M-S on Sunday and faces Franklin & Marshall in the next round.  Wesleyan is still alive as this season's Cinderella and Bowdoin, after a slow start in conference competition, has looked like a team on a mission since early April and takes on TCNJ this Saturday.

There's a lot of great women's lacrosse still left to be played.

amh63

Vandy74...good to hear from you.  Wow, your niece is graduating!  How time flies...thought in my mind she was a junior.  If her classmate and good friend from Naples Florida? is also crossing the stage on Sunday, I have a favor to ask of you.  In case that friend's grandfather..Bob Landon'62..is introduced, please say hi to him for me :).  He was a frat brother and a roommate.  We sometimes double dated.  Very successful Harvard educated estate lawyer, I recall.  Going over the Holyoke notch/gap in his two seat convertible car with dates was a challenge...like "stuffing a telephone booth" ;D
There maybe a chance that you could meet the author of "Foxtrot"...one of your favorite authors. Amherst is preparing the Quad for outdoor graduation today.

amh63

Back again.  Got ok to attend Amherst vs Wesleyan game in Gettysburg on Sat.  Rain is predicted...ugh. Was at a game in Gettysburg in 2015 where I met a bunch of Vandy's relationships :) during a rain delayed event.  Left early as the game delay dragged on.  Tornadoes touched down where My sons presently live near Patterson NY last night.  My oldest son was caught in traffic for several hours near the Newburgh Bridge in NY.  Hope no posters here suffered damages, etc.
Checked on Polarcats' graduation schedule.  His twins graduations are on different days!.  Bates and Bowdoin must have met his conditions ;D.

MUC57

Vandy74

Saw your earlier comment about this being mostly a NESCAC board.
Those teams are always among the top in the country. Those of us in "the west" know what region of the country dominates every year. Our respective schools don't have the academic reputation yours do. And we haven't acquired the lacrosse tradition you have. We're still working on it.
And, if you recall, I posted on here a few years back. I wanted to learn more about this great sport, which I hadn't even heard of growing up. You were very nice and helpful to me. Then here is "PolarCat". He enjoyed attacking the Mount Union program and me. He even mentioned me in a diragatory manner just a few weeks back. Kind of takes the fun out of posting. Don't know what his problem is, but, as you probably noticed, I quit posting on this board.
Mount Union women had a good year. 17-0 up to the NCAA tournament. But then, the dreaded matchup with an "east team". Mary Washington showed them why they were ranked no. 5 in the nation. Wow. Damn, they're good.
But, I digress. That's why I don't post here anymore.
Enjoy your summer. Best to all your teams, in any sport. ☠🇺🇸
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: amh63 on May 16, 2018, 11:50:16 AM
Back again.  Got ok to attend Amherst vs Wesleyan game in Gettysburg on Sat.  Rain is predicted...ugh. Was at a game in Gettysburg in 2015 where I met a bunch of Vandy's relationships :) during a rain delayed event.  Left early as the game delay dragged on.  Tornadoes touched down where My sons presently live near Patterson NY last night.  My oldest son was caught in traffic for several hours near the Newburgh Bridge in NY.  Hope no posters here suffered damages, etc.
Checked on Polarcats' graduation schedule.  His twins graduations are on different days!.  Bates and Bowdoin must have met his conditions ;D.

I called the men's Gettysburg game when both events were delayed... first by a fake-out and second by an actual event.

Don't believe I will make the games this weekend. I thought about being there on Saturday (after my son's lax came about 45 minutes away), but not sure with the weather it is worth the hassle. I can't be there Sunday as I will be at Navy as the PA announcer for the D1 men's lacrosse quarterfinals.