MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Also, the presser said that over 1,920 turned out for the NYU-Rochester game.  That is a massive UAA crowd.  Bravo NYU!

jaybird44

Indeed, kudos to the Violets for the win and the big crowd!  Wash-U should have a big crowd of its own next Friday on Eliot Night.  I'm told a certain someone American Idol contestant will be singing the national anthem...

Both the Wash-U men and women played what I thought were the best 1st halves of basketball all season.  The Bears' men end up with 28 assists and only 7 turnovers, and held Carnegie to 3-15 shooting from 3-point land in the 2nd half.  Overall, they held the Tartans to under 40% shooting.

With Rochester's loss tightening the UAA standings, Wash-U is in a good situation--with 4 of its last 6 games at home.  But, can't take anything for granted.  Case first, tomorrow.  Then, Emory and Rochester at home next weekend...

Charles

Quote from: jaybird44 on February 02, 2013, 11:43:58 AM
Indeed, kudos to the Violets for the win and the big crowd!  Wash-U should have a big crowd of its own next Friday on Eliot Night.  I'm told a certain someone American Idol contestant will be singing the national anthem...

Both the Wash-U men and women played what I thought were the best 1st halves of basketball all season.  The Bears' men end up with 28 assists and only 7 turnovers, and held Carnegie to 3-15 shooting from 3-point land in the 2nd half.  Overall, they held the Tartans to under 40% shooting.

With Rochester's loss tightening the UAA standings, Wash-U is in a good situation--with 4 of its last 6 games at home.  But, can't take anything for granted.  Case first, tomorrow.  Then, Emory and Rochester at home next weekend...

So not impressed with Rochester. Not sure how they became #1. NYU played great all night. Quicker on offense and defense the whole game.

howardjp

Rochester leads Brandeis in Waltham, 32-20 at the half with a late run. 'Deis seems listless so far, biggest problem is 2 early fouls on Alex Stoyle, the hero of Friday night's win. Team is getting little from Moten, Retos and Dascy so far.  Again, no Jay Freeman, no Alex Schmidt (am I missing something?).

Refs calling a lot on both teams as the best players on both teams have had to sit for a while. Gentlemen, the game is not about you.

In thinking about the second half, I can just ponder the word of Gene Hackman in the Replacements as his team was losing - "Coach, what do you think in the 2nd half? Heart, miles and miles and miles of heart"

We'll see ...

Question for Alan, or Pat, or anyone at game - is there a crowd? can't tell from the video.

Note to WBRS - thank you for the upgraded broadcast, a fellow alum also noted the unlistenable game on Friday

howardjp

Bang! Bang! Stoyle and Retos 3's and we have a 5 point game with 7 to play.

Update - still 5 with 2:49 TO, Retos missed a tying 3, then lost the ball for a DB layup, still up for grabs ...

In the end, congrats to Rochester, Judges played about 8-10 minutes of solid hustling ball, that took them to down one, before falling back.  Alex Stoyle's presence in the 2nd half was a major factor in the run, as well as putting Gabe Moten on DB.  Stoyle is clearly the "go to" guy at this point.

What does Brandeis need at this point for post season consideration:

1. Due diligence on next weekend's road trip to Case and Carnegie, no slip ups;
2. Hold court at home, especially vs Wash U
3. Beware the last game at NYU, which may be the decider.
4. Come up with a better rotation of players, going 4 on five on offense doesn't work, nor does lackadaisical work inside.

WUPHF

Washington University completes the season sweep of Carnegie Mellon and Case Western Reserve.  The Bears had a much easier go of it than a week ago.  The Spartans had three players in double figures, but only shot 3-16 from free point range compared to 11-21 a week ago.  Overall, two good tune-ups for next week when Emory and Rochester visit the Field House.

Klimek was quiet today, but spent much of the game on the bench, only to return when the Bears were pulling away.  Aboona led all scorers with 18 and Rob Burnett had yet another big game (16 points, 11 rebounds).  I am beginning to think that Matt Palucki may prove to be the best player in the UAA to never earn Athlete of the Week accolades.  He plays more minutes than anyone on the team and averages 10 points and 8-9 rebounds.  I would prefer he shoot a few less from 17-18 feet, but otherwise, consistently good in nearly ever regard.

Rochester returns home with a two game lead at 8-2 with Washington University, Brandeis, and Emory all tied up at 6-3.  Rochester visits Chicago and Washington University next weekend and Emory in the final weekend of conference play.

howardjp

ok, if someone could explain what just went on out in Pittsburgh, I'd appreciate it

No Moten, no Stoyle, No Trapasso, Bartoldus sits out most of the game with an injury, and the Judges come back out of nowhere the last few minutes to beat Carnegie - Mellon, 73-68, saving themselves what would have been a very bad loss.

Brandeis was down by 12 points with 3:17 left and 9 points at 2:03, what followed was 8 points by Jay Freeman, (remember him?), some atrocious C-M play including turnovers and missed free throws, some clutch Dascy scoring and free throws by Smith and Arnold to finish it -- 17 points with slightly less than 2 minutes!

Since I was watching the Carnegie - Mellon feed, there was no info on why the others didn't play. Moten I can understand, has had trouble with the ankle, I believe, but the others.  Oh well, never mind.

On to Case, as this bizarre weather weekend in New England gets complimented by a truly amazing finish in Pittsburgh.

Addendum -- Wash U beats Emory by 3, putting 'Deis into 2nd via head to head. Wash U now hosts Rochester Sunday, then travels to Waltham the week after.

WUPHF

Rochester defeats Chicago, 68-57 after trailing the Maroons throughout the first and through the first 10 minutes of the second.  DiBartolomeo finishes with a mere 10 points while Kevin Sheehy and Tyler Seideman shoot for 20 and 16 respectively.  The stat sheet looks the same on both sides except for one key category: free throw shooting.

Washington University over Emory, 68-63.  A sluggish start for both teams in front of a crowd of over 1,600.  The Bears, at one point, seemed in danger of finishing the half with more turnovers than points (and more rebounds than points).  Emory was tough on defense, for sure, but I am not sure if I have ever seen the Coach look so upset before.

Washington University mostly cleaned things up in the second, but continued to rebound finishing +12 thanks in large part to Rob Burnett who finished with 15.  The second half was intense with lots of runs and more great defense.  Nick "Two First Names" Burt may have had the game of his career finishing with 12 points on 6-7 shooting and 6 rebounds in a quick 18 minutes, mostly in the second half.  Notably, Washington University shot 14-19 from the three throw line.

McPherson Moore, from St. Louis (MICDS), finished with 15 points to lead Emory while Jake Davis and Alex Greven finished well below their season and conference averages with 9 (18) and 8 (16) points respectively.

WUPHF

Rochester has a two game lead on both Brandeis and Washington University.  The latter teams both need Rochester to lose in St. Louis on Sunday and Atlanta in the season finale to have a chance at the title.

The Yellowjackets have earned the road win in St. Louis seemingly every other year for several years, including the one point win over the national champions in 2008-2009.  But, you never know with Sundays in the UAA.

Mr. Ypsi

My apologies.  I picked WashU over Rochester in Sunday's game.  The way my picks are going in the national pickems this year, that probably guarantees a Rochester win. ::)

WUPHF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 09, 2013, 12:59:49 AM
My apologies.  I picked WashU over Rochester in Sunday's game.  The way my picks are going in the national pickems this year, that probably guarantees a Rochester win.

No need to apologize.  Or, maybe this apology is what was need for the home team to get the win.  It is only weird if it does not work, right?

WUPHF

DiBartolomeo watch: a quick look at how the man compares to others in Division III.

No. 1 in three-point field goal percentage (53%).
No. 3 in free-throw percentage (92%).
No. 7 in points per game (23)
No. 15 in assists per game (6).
No. 17 in assists to turnover ratio.

Notably, he has taken more free-throws than all but three players in the top 50 with 151 attempts.  A key factor in the game on Sunday, it seems, will be defending DiBartolomeo while keeping fouls to a minimum.

howardjp

Don't know if that would be enough for Brandeis to catch Rochester, 2 games back and 0-2 gives tiebreaker to U of R.  Even if there were a three way tie, I think Rochester still gets the tiebreaker.

Quote from: WUH on February 09, 2013, 12:55:32 AM
Rochester has a two game lead on both Brandeis and Washington University.  The latter teams both need Rochester to lose in St. Louis on Sunday and Atlanta in the season finale to have a chance at the title.

The Yellowjackets have earned the road win in St. Louis seemingly every other year for several years, including the one point win over the national champions in 2008-2009.  But, you never know with Sundays in the UAA.

WUPHF

Quote from: howardjp on February 09, 2013, 12:56:36 PM
Don't know if that would be enough for Brandeis to catch Rochester, 2 games back and 0-2 gives tiebreaker to U of R.  Even if there were a three way tie, I think Rochester still gets the tiebreaker.

Indeed, Brandeis would need more than a Rochester loss in St. Louis and Atlanta.  Thanks for the correction.

If Washington University wins on Sunday and we end up with a two-way or three-way tie, I forget how this works, Rochester wins outright or co-champions are crowned but Rochester gets the bid by way of defending their how court?

howardjp

Here we go again, Brandeis trails Case in Cleveland, 26-18 at the half.  Gabe Moten is back, but Stoyle and Trapasso still out with the flu.  Bartoldus is injured and Retos hurt an ankle while heading to the basket early on (!) 'Deis has a 12-7 lead around then, but offense has stalled.  Coach Meehan still looking for the hot hand.

It will probably be tough to have a 3 way tie given Brandeis' difficulties with Rochester, and the 'Deis - Wash U matchup next week. On head to head, I think if all else is equal (1-1 vs each other), it goes to teams you've beaten/lost to and their comparative records, i.e. losing to CMU is worse than NYU.

More in a bit.

Quote from: WUH on February 09, 2013, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: howardjp on February 09, 2013, 12:56:36 PM

Indeed, Brandeis would need more than a Rochester loss in St. Louis and Atlanta.  Thanks for the correction.

If Washington University wins on Sunday and we end up with a two-way or three-way tie, I forget how this works, Rochester wins outright or co-champions are crowned but Rochester gets the bid by way of defending their how court?