MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 02, 2017, 12:40:28 AM
when I saw that halftime score of 16-13, I thought it was from the 1950s and Drake and Papa were playing!  At UST, the General totally took over the game, but Burich dominated the glass  and had a few sweet blocks. GAC didn't look as overwhelmed as they did first meeting and played with a lot of heart. Made for a fun exciting game.

Planning to be in attendance Sat at BU for their must-win game with SJU. BU needs to get on a roll or could slide to 4th or lower in no time.

That first half set modern basketball back a long, long way.

At this point, nothing would surprise me for Saturday's game vs. SJU.  Hoping for the best, but sort of expecting the worst.

miacsuperfan

Wow, long time since I've been in this room.
My vote for MIAC MVP is Grant Schaeffer......I really enjoy watching him play.   What a clutch shot last night vs. a very stubborn Gustie team.  Can think of few players in the league that I would want taking that shot more than Schaeffer. 
Carleton's improvement surprises me not.  Bethel's unraveling is hard to figure, looks like weird chemistry.  Though arguably the poorest Gustie team ever, their recent improvement is refreshing at the least.  It is good to see them finishing better than they started. 

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: miacsuperfan on February 02, 2017, 11:22:31 AM
My vote for MIAC MVP is Grant Schaeffer......I really enjoy watching him play.   What a clutch shot last night vs. a very stubborn Gustie team.  Can think of few players in the league that I would want taking that shot more than Schaeffer. 
Carleton's improvement surprises me not.  Bethel's unraveling is hard to figure, looks like weird chemistry.  Though arguably the poorest Gustie team ever, their recent improvement is refreshing at the least.  It is good to see them finishing better than they started.

That guy is captain cool.  Hard to think of anyone who was more of a composed / collected star type player in the ~12 years that I've paid attention to the MIAC.  I'm sure others will be able to think of comparable players, but if I were drafting a MIAC super team, he'd be my PG.

BU...yeah, I don't quite know what's going on there either.  Their offense can be bi-polar, it seems...most nights, the ball is moving around quickly, and they're getting quality looks both inside and outside...but occasionally, it seems like things just don't click for them, and you get games like last nights mess.  Credit to Carleton for what they did to contribute to it, but I believe it was more self inflicted than anything.

TommieHoops4Life

Haven't posted on here in a very long time but have watched pieces of the last 2 games...

Anyone still worried about UST? The sky was apparently falling after 2 straight MIAC losses in December, including the first home loss to Hamline in three decades. Sometimes the fun part of conference play is the parity. Programs change, losses happen. They've now won 7 straight and 12 of 13 since the loss to the Pipers, and control their destiny the rest of the way.

They don't appear to be the juggernaut of a program they've been in years past, but anything can happen if you give yourself a chance.

Was stunned to turn on the Tommies/Bethel game and see UST up 21 in such a huge game for both teams. They took their play to another level when they had to.

Watched the last 4 minutes last night and Shaeffer's play was fantastic. Nice to see him make the clutch shot after the 3 in the last minute rimmed out. It looked like the pump fake for the game-winner was something he had set up the whole game. Great effort from the Gusties in an otherwise lost season.

What the bleep has has happened to GAC? Five wins?

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on February 02, 2017, 12:00:09 PM

That guy is captain cool.  Hard to think of anyone who was more of a composed / collected star type player in the ~12 years that I've paid attention to the MIAC.  I'm sure others will be able to think of comparable players, but if I were drafting a MIAC super team, he'd be my PG.
My favorite clutch Shaeffer shot.   

Smitty Oom

Shaeffer has definitely earned himself an invite into the Captain Cool Covenant!

Due to the recent decline of the Auggies (hard to call a decline, maybe rather not living up to potential), I would not vote CO as the MIAC MVP anymore. I would say it is a two horse race currently between Grow and Schaeffer. I think that Grow has been a better defender/presence and more consistent all year, as Schaeffer had a couple missed games and a little bit of a slow start but he has really turned it on as of late for the best team in MIAC. Grant only needs 42 more assists to tie the school record for a career and he sits in second right now, what a career for him. It will really depend how the last few games end up as to who would get my vote between those two.

As for my favorite Grant Schaeffer memory, I'll dig deep to his junior year at EPHS in the state tourney. 39 pts. in the second half including a deep three sending it to OT. Possibly the best single performance the state tourney has ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVMCDT5aM

MIAC Nugget:
In this game we have Chris Narum (GAC '16) and Jordan Bolger (CORD '16) on the EV squad (with Joey King who was a Gopher),  and the EP team had Grant Scaheffer (UST '17) and Jordan Peterson (SJU '16).

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 02, 2017, 04:46:56 PM

Shaeffer has definitely earned himself an invite into the Captain Cool Covenant!

Due to the recent decline of the Auggies (hard to call a decline, maybe rather not living up to potential), I would not vote CO as the MIAC MVP anymore. I would say it is a two horse race currently between Grow and Schaeffer. I think that Grow has been a better defender/presence and more consistent all year, as Schaeffer had a couple missed games and a little bit of a slow start but he has really turned it on as of late for the best team in MIAC. Grant only needs 42 more assists to tie the school record for a career and he sits in second right now, what a career for him. It will really depend how the last few games end up as to who would get my vote between those two.

As for my favorite Grant Schaeffer memory, I'll dig deep to his junior year at EPHS in the state tourney. 39 pts. in the second half including a deep three sending it to OT. Possibly the best single performance the state tourney has ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVMCDT5aM

MIAC Nugget:
In this game we have Chris Narum (GAC '16) and Jordan Bolger (CORD '16) on the EV squad (with Joey King who was a Gopher),  and the EP team had Grant Scaheffer (UST '17) and Jordan Peterson (SJU '16).

Great find Smitty! +K. 

AO - How about a little payback on your left-handed compliment.  Your post was almost enough for me to smite you.  ;)

It would be great if Gene McGivern, the SID at UST could post the last 10 seconds of the GAC - UST game online.  That was a seriously, cold blooded, finish by Shaeffer. Cool hand Luke, Captain Cool, you name it, and he was so casual about it.  Nasty!  :)
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

tomt4525

Benilde St Margarets guard, Will Whitmore, will continue his basketball career at the University of St Thomas.  Great name.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 30, 2017, 12:27:04 PM

Big week for the Royals with the Tommies tonight (@UST), and Carleton Wednesday, SJU Saturday (both at home).  I'd be happy to see them go 2-1, but my head says 1-2.  Seems like they just can't every quite get over hump with UST, and then I'd bet they'll drop either the Carl or SJU games.  Would love to be proven wrong.

Just sayin'....

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on February 04, 2017, 05:58:58 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 30, 2017, 12:27:04 PM

Big week for the Royals with the Tommies tonight (@UST), and Carleton Wednesday, SJU Saturday (both at home).  I'd be happy to see them go 2-1, but my head says 1-2.  Seems like they just can't every quite get over hump with UST, and then I'd bet they'll drop either the Carl or SJU games.  Would love to be proven wrong.

Just sayin'....
you were right....but that said, BU played very well today. First time in a few weeks they've been firing on all cylinders, i think.  Win out their final 4 games (a do-able task)and #2 seed is likely.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Drake Palmer

Sniff, sniff, something's in the air. Aah, first regional rankings are out which must mean conference tourneys and the Big Dance aren't too far away.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/02/men-regional-rankings-first
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

GoldandBlueBU

I feel like Saturday's BU at Aug game has potential to be interesting...after a bit of a slide, the Auggies bounced back with a win on the road at SJU, behind a huge effort from Olmscheid.  He laid an egg last time vs. BU, which I doubt will happen again, so I expect a tight game on Saturday.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on February 10, 2017, 10:41:31 AM
I feel like Saturday's BU at Aug game has potential to be interesting...after a bit of a slide, the Auggies bounced back with a win on the road at SJU, behind a huge effort from Olmscheid.  He laid an egg last time vs. BU, which I doubt will happen again, so I expect a tight game on Saturday.

Well, I was wrong.  A 6 point effort from Olmscheid kept it from being much of a game.  Kingland did an incredible job on him.  First time around vs. Augsburg, there was decent defense, but he was just off.  This time it was clearly heavily related to Kingland being able to successfully bother him on most everything he did. 

Carleton!  Seriously!  Man they are playing good ball right now.  Bethel may very well get the 2 seed since they have a game lead and just need to close out the gusties and cobbers, both at home, but if the Knights can maintain this level of play for a bit longer, (won 10 straight) it could very easily be them dancing. 

I'd have a hard time not pulling for Carleton if they were playing anyone other than my Royals...

Smitty Oom

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on February 13, 2017, 09:15:11 AM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on February 10, 2017, 10:41:31 AM

Well, I was wrong.  A 6 point effort from Olmscheid kept it from being much of a game.  Kingland did an incredible job on him.  First time around vs. Augsburg, there was decent defense, but he was just off.  This time it was clearly heavily related to Kingland being able to successfully bother him on most everything he did. 

Carleton!  Seriously!  Man they are playing good ball right now.  Bethel may very well get the 2 seed since they have a game lead and just need to close out the gusties and cobbers, both at home, but if the Knights can maintain this level of play for a bit longer, (won 10 straight) it could very easily be them dancing. 

I'd have a hard time not pulling for Carleton if they were playing anyone other than my Royals...

Not to mention they have The BeltTM right now! (See Multi-Regional Page for some good, fun MIAC talk by the D3 Rubes!)

I watched a lot of their game Saturday at The Shoe, pretty impressed with the WHOLE team. They are committed to the system Kalland has employed. Long offensive possessions, working it around looking for great shots rather than good shots. They also clamp up on defense and the two bigs do a good job rim protecting, forcing a lot of altered shots. 7th best scoring defense in the nation!

I'm with you GoldandBlue, I love Coach Kalland and this Knight team! It would be very fun to see them take this run even further...

bball1122

Things are starting to shake out as we roll into the last week of the regular season.

UST, BET, CAR, and SJU are all seemingly playoff locks (UST and BET are in, the other two would need major collapses and a lot of other things to go wrong).

HAM is in great shape - they have swept both teams behind them and seemingly just need one more W to clinch a spot.  Tough week though, heading to SJU Wednesday and then getting the feisty MAC team at home Saturday.

CORD has a murderers' row of a schedule this week - @CAR, @BET, then closing out the season at home vs. UST.  Hard to imagine they get more than one of those which puts them at 10 conference wins.

STO has three home games, UST, CAR, and AUG.  Again, hard to see them getting more than one, which would put them at 9.

AUGS has SMU and MAC at home, then goes to STO.  Pending other results, that last game could have very important implications. 

Someone smarter than I - if HAM, STO, CORD, and AUGS all end up 10-10 (which I think is possible, though unlikely), who gets the last 2 spots?

Finally, this is one of the nastier MIAC dunks I've seen  - Jay Betts can FLY!

https://twitter.com/HamlineHoops/status/830874850080210944

Should be a great final week!