MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on February 27, 2017, 02:26:42 PMThe Tommies got a nice SOS boost from playing River Falls.

Yup, especially since it came with a road multiplier. It was definitely worth taking the loss to UWRF.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Drake Palmer

Quote from: AO on February 27, 2017, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: PurpleReign on February 27, 2017, 01:18:09 PM
So the Tommies and Bethel are in, but no St. Johns?  I would love to hear the reaction from VOJ, oh wait I think I feel the ground shaking.   ;D
Glad to be wrong about the Tommies Pool C chances.  Bethel probably played a large part in getting them in as they knocked Carleton out of the regional rankings and inserted themselves in taking away a L from the Regionally Ranked Opponents criteria and adding two Ws. 

As predicted, St. John's and Bethel's SOS was just too low for either of them to get a pool C bid if they needed one.   The Tommies got a nice SOS boost from playing River Falls.

Hey, congrats AO!  Not only did your beloved Northwestern Eagles win a 4OT playoff thriller to qualify for the dance, today is another major milestone for you.  After 1492 Smites, you've finally balanced the scales with an identical 1492 Ks.  Congrats! In 1492 AO sailed the ocean blue...

Plus K tomorrow!
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 27, 2017, 01:52:32 PM
Umm, thanks Greg, I'm pretty sure Smitty will be able to figure this one out.   ??? :)  I believe  this is what you might call a "whistling past the graveyard" post.

Both MIAC teams will have their hands full.

Indeed. Seems like BU will have a tough time making it past round 1.

Should be fun anyway!

AO

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 27, 2017, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: AO on February 27, 2017, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: PurpleReign on February 27, 2017, 01:18:09 PM
So the Tommies and Bethel are in, but no St. Johns?  I would love to hear the reaction from VOJ, oh wait I think I feel the ground shaking.   ;D
Glad to be wrong about the Tommies Pool C chances.  Bethel probably played a large part in getting them in as they knocked Carleton out of the regional rankings and inserted themselves in taking away a L from the Regionally Ranked Opponents criteria and adding two Ws. 

As predicted, St. John's and Bethel's SOS was just too low for either of them to get a pool C bid if they needed one.   The Tommies got a nice SOS boost from playing River Falls.

Hey, congrats AO!  Not only did your beloved Northwestern Eagles win a 4OT playoff thriller to qualify for the dance, today is another major milestone for you.  After 1492 Smites, you've finally balanced the scales with an identical 1492 Ks.  Congrats! In 1492 AO sailed the ocean blue...

Plus K tomorrow!

Also, check out Collin Anderson's shot to send the game to the 4th OT.  If we did foul him like the fans heard on the video wanted us to, he'd probably throw it in from wherever we fouled him and get the and-1 to win the game. 

PurpleReign

With no clear cut favorite out there, I gotta think that this will be reminiscent of last year where the Tommie got on a run, when really nobody really expected them to win it all.  Maybe a Benedictine, whose won 12 in a row comes up with an upset win over River Falls and make a run.

miacsuperfan

It obviously wasn't likely but can you imagine if BU had hosted Northwestern in a first round NCAA game at Robertson?   The place would have been absolutely crazy.  I think the fire marshal may have shown up for that one.  My sources say that the 1500 announced crowd on Saturday at BU was bogus.....standing room actually closer to 2000?  :o :-X

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 27, 2017, 01:21:55 PM
The Northwest conference certainly gets no respect.  #2 Whitman & #4 Whitworth are in the same bracket, one game away from playing each other again for the 4th time this season.  Grrh!

This is too bad... I posted in NWC board too but I would like to see them spread out a little, but geography and bank accounts restrict that from happening!

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 27, 2017, 01:30:28 PM
The Tommies were shorthanded for the semis against the Jays, as two year starter & defensive stopper Ryan Boll was sidelined with the flu (?) last Thursday. So it will be interesting to see if Boll will be able to play next Friday night.   Even with a healthy Boll, this year's Tommies' team will have it's challenges at the big dance.

Yes I heard it was the flu. You would think he would be ready to go by and practicing by now, but I suppose we will see this weekend. A much better team with him, I hope Boll is full strength against the Vikes.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2017, 01:33:10 PM

St. Thomas 86, @ Augustana 76

Two very different teams this season from 2015-16.

Yes very much so. No Hunter Hill or Ben Ryan playing for Augie this year after being their focal point for 3 years. Much more known to these parts of the boards, the Tommies lost Saarela, Montero, Cortez and Remke. This was a MAJOR part of the Natty Champ squad. Just setting up the game and a little history of the two squads.

Quote from: miacsuperfan on February 27, 2017, 04:43:22 PM
It obviously wasn't likely but can you imagine if BU had hosted Northwestern in a first round NCAA game at Robertson?   The place would have been absolutely crazy.  I think the fire marshal may have shown up for that one.  My sources say that the 1500 announced crowd on Saturday at BU was bogus.....standing room actually closer to 2000?  :o :-X

I attended the game Saturday night... when they said it was at full capacity, they surely meant it. I got there at 6:20 and they told me that they had already stopped letting people in (Doors open at 6, game starts at 7)! Luckily I had my pass and was able to sneak in and find a standing spot, (no way I was going to find a seat on the bleachers). A great unbelievable atmosphere with the MIAC AQ on the line! I checked the attendance after the game as well and thought the 1500 seemed a tad low.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 27, 2017, 05:53:00 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2017, 01:33:10 PM

St. Thomas 86, @ Augustana 76

Two very different teams this season from 2015-16.

Yes very much so. No Hunter Hill or Ben Ryan playing for Augie this year after being their focal point for 3 years. Much more known to these parts of the boards, the Tommies lost Saarela, Montero, Cortez and Remke. This was a MAJOR part of the Natty Champ squad. Just setting up the game and a little history of the two squads.

The only two Augie players who will play on Friday who saw the floor for more than two seconds (literally) in that game last season are Chrishawn Orange and Dylan Sortillo. They played 18 and 14 minutes off the bench, respectively.

This will mark the fourth time this decade that Augie and UST have clashed in the D3 tourney. The Tommies came away with a 72-56 win in the 2011 sectional championships, and Augie returned the favor with an 88-77 opening-round win in 2014.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

SUMMIT!!!!!

and the awards are announced.....Congrats to The General on being named Player of the Year!!  also, an interesting move that will greatly please Drake-- the coaches went to a 6 man first team and 5 man second and third teams. For once, i have no quibble with the coaches' picks

http://miacathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/022817_mbb_awards
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 28, 2017, 05:19:54 PM
and the awards are announced.....Congrats to The General on being named Player of the Year!!  also, an interesting move that will greatly please Drake-- the coaches went to a 6 man first team and 5 man second and third teams. For once, i have no quibble with the coaches' picks

Dang they beat me to it... I didn't have enough time to make my own picks but these all seem pretty good! 6th man was a tough pick this year, with Hannon, Kruize getting HM and probably qualifying for the award (assuming Kingland started too many games down the stretch). Either way Kent Hanson did give Carleton a spark off the bench they really needed and used to their advantage this year.

Shaeffer has to be the first Guard to win the POY award in a while, this whole MIAC season shifted away from the big man and led to a more guard oriented league. Definitely deserving of the award, congrats to a great career and hopefully a long run in the NCAAs for old time sake!

The freshman team was an easy selection. The 5th spot (Hannah) was a little open but you have to reward the big man on the Reg. Season champs.

Defensive Team was also some easy options with Fred, Grow and Hall. Interesting to see Bridge in there. Bridge certainly flies around and creates steals but not sure if he is a great lock-down guard. Burich is a long and solid force in the middle of the paint for UST that really helped them close out possessions. I was right away a little shocked to see him here but it makes sense.

Lastly, great to see the different teams be named! It is more fun to have different teams associated rather than one large 15 group of guys receiving the award. Wish they did this sooner, would have been interesting to see the results. Although I feel as if the MIAC had cut down on the HM awards. As a Cobber, I am probably biased, but I feel as if Zach Kinny got snubbed from the HM team. He averaged over 10 points 5 boards and 5 assists per game, only player in the MIAC! Other than that very good selections.

Drake Palmer

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 28, 2017, 05:19:54 PM

Thanks Mose, nice to know that after many years of clamoring for a change, the MIAC coaches updated the format for the All Conference awards.  ;)

Any idea, when the coaches had to submit their AC ballots? If it was Monday morning, I could see why some may have selected Bridge Tusler for the All Defensive team. Tusler played liked a possessed man in the playoff championship game on Saturday night.  However, in my opinion, Cool Hand Grant should have received the trifecta, and earned a spot on the All Defensive Team, along with his POY, and first team all conference award.

Also proving that even a blind squirrel can find a nut, here's a post from yours truly back in December.

Quote from: Drake Palmer on December 13, 2016, 02:05:47 PM
On the topic of bigs, where's the likes of Tommy Conboy, Isaac Rosefelt, Mike Moberg, Tommy Shimek, the twins from SJU, Luke Linz - Cord, Sam Paulson - GAC?  sniff.   :)

So far, aside from Augsburg, the other teams in the league don't seem to be effectively and consistently utilizing their bigs. Or if they are, Carleton & Kevin Grow, they aren't winning yet.

Thus, this might be the year a guard type of player wins the conference MVP/POY.  In the last 10 years, there have only been three guards who have won the conference POY/MVP.  It really seems this is turning into a guards league.

MIAC POY

2007: Isaac Rosefelt – UST
2008: Luke Linz – Concordia
2009: Joe Scott – UST
2010: Tyler Nicolai – UST

2011: Carl Hipp – Hamline
2012: Seth Anderson – Gustavus
2013: Taylor Hall -Bethel
2014: Dan Kornbaum – Augsburg
2015: Kyle Zimmerman – Bethel
2016: Jordan Bolger – Concordia

Heads up to Grant Shaeffer, Brycen Wojta, Trevor Hall, Zach Smith, Dylan Alderman?
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 01, 2017, 01:41:12 PM
Any idea, when the coaches had to submit their AC ballots? If it was Monday morning, I could see why some may have selected Bridge Tusler for the All Defensive team. Tusler played liked a possessed man in the playoff championship game on Saturday night.  However, in my opinion, Cool Hand Grant should have received the trifecta, and earned a spot on the All Defensive Team, along with his POY, and first team all conference award.

It was before the Championship. I don't know the exact date, maybe somebody else does, but it was last week when coaches submitted their votes. Definitely before the championship game, but I agree Bridge played an all round great game on Saturday.

Great call Drake... 2 in a row with the predictions now!!

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 01, 2017, 01:49:27 PM

It was before the Championship. I don't know the exact date, maybe somebody else does, but it was last week when coaches submitted their votes. Definitely before the championship game, but I agree Bridge played an all round great game on Saturday.

pretty sure it was the Monday before playoffs began and that it does not include playoff performance, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

I'll disagree with you Drake. Grant was definitely above average as a defender, but I noticed most game Will Dunn drew the toughest defensive assignment in the back court. (Stockman, Hall, Biewen, etc). If i was to lobby for 2nd Tommie on the All D team in addition to Burich - who most definitely deserved it- Id argue for Ryan Boll. His defensive absence was the big reason for USJ's playoff upset.

AND... the first projection of the 2017-18 final standings:
1. Carleton- fully loaded...could go very,VERY deep in NCAA
2. UST-- need to replace The General & Burich, need #6-9 to be improved over this year's crop
3. Augsburg- need a SG and consistency
4. St John's-Solid core returns, could be sleeper for title
5. Bethel- losing Hall & Wojta exposes thinness at the G
6. Hamline-- wont be sneaking up on people this time...  need size in paint
7. Olaf- was a young squad this year; the year's seasoning could lift them to top 4 finish
8. Concordia- the transition to a new HC is always dicey and a young rookie coach makes it dicier
9. GAC- longing for a return to their glory of the early-to-mid 2000s
10. SMU-Need to replace (a very underrated)Ferron, add size. I like their quickness, but they lack depth
11. Mac-longing for Van Thorr's & Conboy's return
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Drake Palmer

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 01, 2017, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 01, 2017, 01:49:27 PM

pretty sure it was the Monday before playoffs began and that it does not include playoff performance, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

I'll disagree with you Drake. Grant was definitely above average as a defender, but I noticed most game Will Dunn drew the toughest defensive assignment in the back court. (Stockman, Hall, Biewen, etc). If i was to lobby for 2nd Tommie on the All D team in addition to Burich - who most definitely deserved it- Id argue for Ryan Boll. His defensive absence was the big reason for USJ's playoff upset.

AND... the first projection of the 2017-18 final standings:
1. Carleton- fully loaded...could go very,VERY deep in NCAA
2. UST-- need to replace The General & Burich, need #6-9 to be improved over this year's crop
3. Augsburg- need a SG and consistency
4. St John's-Solid core returns, could be sleeper for title
5. Bethel- losing Hall & Wojta exposes thinness at the G
6. Hamline-- wont be sneaking up on people this time...  need size in paint
7. Olaf- was a young squad this year; the year's seasoning could lift them to top 4 finish
8. Concordia- the transition to a new HC is always dicey and a young rookie coach makes it dicier
9. GAC- longing for a return to their glory of the early-to-mid 2000s
10. SMU-Need to replace (a very underrated)Ferron, add size. I like their quickness, but they lack depth
11. Mac-longing for Van Thorr's & Conboy's return

I hear you about Boll, he was, and is a key part of the Tommie defense, but Shaeffer was Tauer Jr. on the court.  Grant kept those hyper guards in line, Veil, & Hannon, called assignments, and helped Dunn blossom into a solid defensive contributor.  :)

When the post season is done, I'd be glad to return and argue about next season's projected conference finish.  I realize the Johnnies are your mortal rivals, but you're picking SJU to finish 4th?  8-)  If they develop the slightest interest in playing defense, they're going to be scary. 

Carleton will be outstanding, but they'll need some outside shooters other than Kent Hanson. Joh Farmer, Henry Bensen, & the injured Quinn Johnson all seemed like distributors & slashers rather than outside shooting threats. 

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 01, 2017, 03:26:23 PM
When the post season is done, I'd be glad to return and argue about next season's projected conference finish.  I realize the Johnnies are your mortal rivals, but you're picking SJU to finish 4th?  8-)  If they develop the slightest interest in playing defense, they're going to be scary. 

I'd echo that sentiment...UST / SJU / Carleton would be my projected 1-2-3.  As Drake pointed out, the Johnnies are going to be very tough to stop...and I think they can muster enough defense to get by.

Carleton will be right there, but I feel like they need more consistent contribution offensively outside of Grow and Hanson.  Who knows though, maybe a sophomore Hanson will be enough of a pickup over his first season to make a dent in that need.

I'm interested in hearing a more in depth analysis on next year's UST...they seem to find ways to reload year after year after year...