MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE3Hoops

Rumor's from the NEWMAC.

Springfield's recruiting class is all quanity not quality, they didn't bring in anyone to replace the talent they lost in the back court. Loosing assistant coach Jon Furbush will hurt them as well.

Wheaton luckily landed a great recruit with Worcester Acadmey's Weeks, as his scholarship offers feel through at end of the recruiting cycle. They should be soild in the backcourt playing Weeks with Coppola and Sasso.

MIT's class was awesome. But I thier top recruit is not playing this year. Very strange. Again depth is going to kill this team.

Babson's class is dynamite. Lambros Papalambros and Kris Noonan are a couple of top recruits from New England but Marcus Edwards ( 2008-09 NEWMAC rookie of the year) and Matt Florio are recruits from out of the region that no one knew about and they add a tremendous amount of depth to the class.  A couple of other local role kids round out thier class (Jake Gruber, Tom Lavin). Credit last years assistant Mike Smiley for bringing in Babson's best class since 2000. Losing him will hurt this program too.

Will find out more about WPI and Clark.

massd3fan

NE#Hoops,

Thanks for the update. I did hear that WPI was supposed to scrimmage Assumption on Friday, but I have not heard anything about how it went.

I am not sure if Clark or Coast Guard has scrimmaged yet.

Hugenerd

Congrats to Jimmy Bartolotta for being named 2nd team all-american by d3hoops and Craig Johnson for being named 4th team.

clarkie

Clark's roster is finally posted, but it seems a few names might be missing from last year...anyone know anything?

backboard

Usually Babson scrimmages Wentworth, does anyone know how that went?  I'll see what I can find out too

golflax99

Quote from: backboard on November 14, 2008, 12:50:25 PM
Usually Babson scrimmages Wentworth, does anyone know how that went?  I'll see what I can find out too

They scrimmaged Tuesday night @ Wentworth. Babson freshmen looked good for the most part. A little inconsistency on offense, but they are still getting used to eachother on the court. It seems as if atleast 4 of the freshmen will get significant PT. As soon as Babson gets comfortable with a consistent PG, they will be a big threat in the NEWMAC.

Hugenerd

MIT handled Emmaneul today 82-60.  Dou Soumare led the team with 28 points (9-10 fg) and 15 boards.  Jimmy B had a solid game (although he honestly didnt play that well offensively).  He had 20 points, 5 boards, 5 assists, 7 steals and 2 blocks.  Brad Gampel led the team well with 9 points, 8 assists, 7 steals, and 6 boards.  Jamie Karraker had a nice debut with 15 points.  MIT played without their starting power forward, Bill Johnson, due to injury.  He will now be referred to as Mr. Glass by me in all subsequent posts.

jamiejohn

Looks like mit might be better with out johnson, Soumare looks much improved. Big win for them beating emmaneul by 22

Hugenerd

Quote from: jamiejohn on November 17, 2008, 09:06:22 AM
Looks like mit might be better with out johnson, Soumare looks much improved. Big win for them beating emmaneul by 22

They played well but I think Johnson will be a big help.  He is one of their only 3 big men and Soumare had to play 39 minutes in his absence.  I think they will be much better with him in the lineup in the long term.

scout

Any predictions for tonight's MIT-Gordon game?

Obviously, MIT returns its top three scorers and is a solid squad this year. Gordon lost three starters from last year, but retain a POY candidate in the CCC in Aaron Trigg.

Just interested in some dialogue.

Also, I think Gordon streams the video of their home games on their athletics website. They did it last year.
"C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The most photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a children's zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
Bartlet: If the Oscars were like that, I'd watch."
- The West Wing, 'Shibboleth'

Hugenerd

MIT should win if they stay out of foul trouble, in my opinion.  Gordan has more size, but I doubt they have any big man as athletic as Soumare.  He completely dominated the interior against some pretty good Emmaneul post men on Saturday (28 pts, 9-10 FG, 15 rebounds). Jimmy B. is also a constant, he will score 20 even if he has a bad game but I doubt he will have two bad games in a row.  I am not sure if Johnson (their third leading scorer from last year) will play, he was out in the opener, but he put a lot of time in during the offseason and he should be a major contributor if he can go.  If not, Karraker will have to step up again like he did on Saturday.

I dont know that much about Gordon, except they have a younger team this year (1 senior) and its tough to draw any conclusions from their game against Eastern Nazarene (a team that has averaged 21 losses a year the last 4 years).

I think it will be a close game, but, as I said earlier, MIT wins if they stay out of foul trouble.  MIT is playing on the road, however, so you never know, the calls could go Gordon's way.

Hugenerd

My comment on the refs now seems prophetic.  Bartollota and Soumare dont play for significant time in the second half with 4 fouls. Then, Bartollota fouls out on a week side ball screen with less than a minute left and MIT up by 2 with the ball (it was a very weak call).  On the next posession, Gordon ties the game.

Game looks like its going to OT.  MIT with the ball at half court with 1 second left.  MIT will obviously be without Bartollota. Soumare with 4 fouls.

Hugenerd

MIT loses in OT 77-69. MIT didnt get a single call in OT while Gordon shot what seemed like 8 or 10 FTs (I dont have the actual stats).

Bartolotta fouls out for just the fourth time in 84 career games (he had one each of the past 3 years, this is the first time he has fouled out since his freshman year in a game that did not at least go to a single OT) and for the first time in his career on the road.  This is the quickest he has ever fouled out, 26 minutes (previous low was 32 his fresman year). That last foul call on Bartolotta was especially ridiculous. It was a petty call that could probably be made on either team on every posession of the game that happened to be called on the best player on the court for the visiting team with less than a minute to go in a very close game. I hate when refs make calls that directly effect the outcome of the game when a there is no reason to make a call.  If he had hacked someone going to the basket or fouled someone causing a turnover or did anything that made any difference I wouldnt mind, but that was just an awful call.

Hugenerd

Big win tonight for WPI.  I was able to catch some of the game online and WPI played well in the first half and were able to hold on in the second.  They were really able to get penetration and make layups or kickouts.  They also did a good job converting against the press. 

deiscanton

Hello Hugenerd

I watched the entire game between WPI and Rhode Island College on-line.  RIC coach Bob Walsh and RIC player Tyrell Hill basically admitted in the post-game that RIC was simply not ready from the opening tip to play WPI at the level of intensity in the first half that WPI played.   Coach Walsh described it in the post-game in mental terms that RIC as a team showed up to play a "walk-in-the-park" game, and WPI showed up for a dog-fight.  WPI simply outhustled RIC in the first half. 

Near the end of the game with 40 seconds left, you probably could make the case that WPI turned the ball over out of bounds and that there was not a foul before the turnover, but I thought that a correct call was made that a foul by RIC caused the WPI player to step out of bounds-- therefore, no turnover and WPI goes to the line.  Obvously, RIC disagreed, but the result of that call, even if overturned, would not have affected the outcome of the game-- WPI won this game in the first half.

Brandeis at WPI on Saturday.