World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinger

That Gerrard goal was a beauty.   

How about Martins' first goal for Newcastle?  Not a bad way to get the season started.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Stinger

Just ordered tickets for the US/ Brazil match on Sept 9th at Soldier Field.   It's being played on a FIFA date, which means all clubs must release their players. Here's hoping for two full squads.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess Freddy Adu is going to get some serious run at Benefica.  Here's hoping he makes the most of it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Stinger

Funny quote from Derby's manager:

"Benny is a player we have been tracking for something like a year, and I think we got him out of Hamburg just in time - because after another six months the really big clubs would have been interested. He can play anywhere in midfield - left, right or in the middle - and he has a goal in him.

One thing he certainly does not lack is confidence - he is American."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Man, the Americans are really invading the big leagues now.  That's a great move for the future of our international team.

sac

So, what are the chances Jose Mourihno complains about the favorable officiating Liverpool get from the referees this season.  ::) :D

Stinger

That  was a laughable call. The annoouncers couldn't believe it.   There were some nasty challenges in that game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The ref was suspended for his performance in that match, pending review.

Hoosier Titan

I'm writing from London now--saw the highlights on "Match of the Day" last night.   The Manchester Derby was the first game shown--who'd-a thunk Sven would rise from the ashes so quickly?

The Gerrard-to-Torres goal was a thing of beauty.  The announcers called it a "clever goal," and it was indeed that. 

The penalty call was truly egregious--Malouda got under Finnan.  Whatever contact there was, was intiated by the Chelsea player.  Then the ref waved a yellow card with Essian (who had already been booked) in his face, but later explained that it was for John Terry (who had also already been booked).  And yet neither was sent off.  He seemed to be saying that it was a sort of reminder for Terry. 

At any rate, I'm not reading anything about the ref's suspension for this weekend being subject to review.  The story is he's expected to apologize to Rafa.

There was an even more egregious officiating error in Saturday's Middlesbrough-Fulham match.  With Fulham down 2-1, a linesman ruled that the ball had not crossed the line for a Fulham equalizer late in the game.  Yet it was clear, even with a bad camera angle, that there was space between the ball and the line.  That linesman has also been suspended for one game.

Time to consider TV review, I think.
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on August 20, 2007, 06:15:27 PM
Time to consider TV review, I think.

They'd only do it for goals, though, you think?  I can't imagine they'd stop play to check on fouls and offsides, nor do I think I want them to.

Mr. Ypsi

Maybe add 'cards' to goals - in both cases there is plenty enough stoppage time to make sure it's right.  And on goals, I'd hope they would check the lead up as well as the goal itself - this season I've already seen at least 4 goals that I'm almost positive should have been disallowed due to offsides (and at least 3 would have been against the team I was rooting for, so that's not just sour grapes!).

Hoosier Titan

Good points about not over-using TV review.  It's being discussed all over the London Press as in this article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A26112647

I think I'd go for review of:  goals, straight red cards, and second yellows.  I would hate to lose the "play on" for fouls (as a matter of fact, I've thought that would improve basketball but that's another conversation).  I'm still thinking about whether one of the managers should have to request the review, or whether an off-pitch official could do so.

Other points noted over the weekend:  the loss of Brian McBride for months due to a dislocated knee (he put in a goal, totally marked and untouched, and just collapsed), and the really poor play of Carlos Tevez, as noted in the BBC piece above.  Which is the real Tevez?

On the Three Lions front, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargraves, and Darren Bent are all out for the friendly with Germany due to injury.
You'll never walk alone.

Hoosier Titan

I left out the obvious other situation for review:  penalties. There's not always a card given when a penalty is awarded.
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on August 21, 2007, 02:33:28 AM
the loss of Brian McBride for months due to a dislocated knee (he put in a goal, totally marked and untouched, and just collapsed),

He is like 48% metal, maybe he got left out in the rain?

The limited coach's challenge has worked pretty well for the NFL.  Perhaps if they did every goal, like the NHL does and then allow one challenge per half for each coach on other plays?

Browneagle64

Even though the U.S national team lost yesterday (for the fourth time in a row) in their exhibition game against Sweden, i am almost confident that they will be back in full game mode once the MLS season is over. There is no doubt that this team will bounce back, even after their tough Copa America experience, the boys will be more ready to produce wins.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods