MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on October 17, 2014, 05:21:08 PM
Bucket...you raised the bar with that post! :). As a long time follower of the Old ACC Basketball...remember the coach and the player.  Superb coach, great player.  Remember the coach in his national Championship win.  Was on the West Coast on business in Silicon Valley, so watched the game on TV.  Remember some of the other players too...local DC area boys.  Can not remember the opponent...remember it was a Big Name BB school...maybe coached by a famous coach.  Sure Ronk would know... :)...just kidding around.
Houston and Guy Lewis with Akeem Olajuwon and Clyde the Glide Drexler; Sidney Lowe, Derick Whittenburg, Thurl Bailey were the DC guys; Terry Gannon(Golf Channel play-by-play) was another NC ST player.
  ESPN did a 30 for 30 including a reunion gathering about 6 months ago on the team and game; 3-pters were tested that season in the ACC; the line was inside the current high school line.

amh63

Can you believe it!   Midnight Madness is tonight.....that point where the big boys can start practice.  Big show on ESPN at UCONN...starting before MidDNIGHT.....times are changing.  Midnight. Madness, an event , a time began at the U. Of MD in College Park while in the ACC.  Today...MD is no longer part of the ACC....gone to fight in the Big Ten....or whatever number of schools.  Next year can watch a game with the ex Williams star go against Terps. 
Still...nov. 1 is still coming fast. :)

Bucket

Quote from: ronk on October 17, 2014, 07:35:49 PM
Quote from: amh63 on October 17, 2014, 05:21:08 PM
Bucket...you raised the bar with that post! :). As a long time follower of the Old ACC Basketball...remember the coach and the player.  Superb coach, great player.  Remember the coach in his national Championship win.  Was on the West Coast on business in Silicon Valley, so watched the game on TV.  Remember some of the other players too...local DC area boys.  Can not remember the opponent...remember it was a Big Name BB school...maybe coached by a famous coach.  Sure Ronk would know... :)...just kidding around.
Houston and Guy Lewis with Akeem Olajuwon and Clyde the Glide Drexler; Sidney Lowe, Derick Whittenburg, Thurl Bailey were the DC guys; Terry Gannon(Golf Channel play-by-play) was another NC ST player.
  ESPN did a 30 for 30 including a reunion gathering about 6 months ago on the team and game; 3-pters were tested that season in the ACC; the line was inside the current high school line.

You left out Cozell McQueen and Lorenzo Charles!

To this day, that team causes me great pain, having eliminated my beloved Wahoos and Big Ralph in his senior finale.

fanfromct

Aaron Toomey finally got started in Spanish Pro Ball today. Pretty nice game. Leading scorer for his team in an 82-50 loss.
His line was 2/4 from 2, 3/9 threes,  4/4 free throws, 2 reb, 3 TO, 1 Steal. 17 points.

P'bearfan

FYI....many of the NESCAC teams, including Bowdoin, have posted their official 2014-15 schedules but haven't updated their rosters yet. 

Bucket

Quote from: P'bearfan on October 20, 2014, 08:33:59 AM
FYI....many of the NESCAC teams, including Bowdoin, have posted their official 2014-15 schedules but haven't updated their rosters yet.

Rosters won't be updated until after the official start of practice on November 1. I'd expect to see updated rosters some time between November 1 and November 15.

amh63

Point of reference for the info provided by Bucket.  The last football game for Amherst is Nov.8...Homecoming.  Believe it is the same for all CAC schools.  Some MBB teams are counting on players from the Fall sports team to practice.  Last season, Williams had several football players on their BB squad. Several seasons ago, All Conference CB L. Lewis was on the Amherst squad. 
This past weekend was the date for Amherst Homecoming last year.  I dropped by the Gym to see what was going on.  Met several WBB players arriving for player practices...arranged by the team captains.  My take after watching for awhile, was working the new comers wrt to practice workouts.  On the men's side.....different time.....saw an assistant coach talking to parents and their son on the floor.  Saw a player working out by himself....shooting baskets.  Saw the same player drop by the football game and invited him and another player to my class "tailgate" tent for food.
By Nov. 8,  I was invited to watch practice by Coach Hixon several years ago.  Joined several other fans, alums.  Remember when Aaron was a freshman.  He was stretching out on the sidelines as his teammates were running up and down the court.  Saw a slightly built young player and wondered if it was the hyped recruit.  Never did see him run the floor...was heading to the football game.
This year, will stick around and if I am in the good graces of Coach Hixon hope to see the new recruits work out and check on the returning players....if I can.  Football game has a late start this season. :)  In summary...a reason for the range of times for roster postings.

madzillagd

Top 25 is out.  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2014/10/defending-champs-return-to-top-spot

#2. Amherst
#5. Williams

Others receiving votes: Bowdoin 11, Tufts 2

Well it's been said repeatedly but Williams is not going to be up that high.  Surprised Tufts didn't get more votes but of course most voters are not going to have the info on their roster reunion so that makes sense. Midd with no love. 

amh63

Most early season ranking polls should be taken with a grain of salt....it adds flavor to the conversation.  However in the optimistic rankings of two conference teams may help in the long run.
If the close battles within the conference occur as many anticipate on this board...it may help conference teams' SOS.  However SOS is treated/calculated this year.  This could help in multi CAC invites into the post season.

P'bearfan

QuoteMost early season ranking polls should be taken with a grain of salt..

Yeah I'll agree with that.......both in the top 5....smh

Pat Coleman

Problem is it's hard when there's no consensus on the teams below them either. Voters are already taking a chance on Calvin at 6 and overrating UWSP at 7 and No. 8 Albertus doesn't play anyone else who's ranked in the preseason ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

toad22

It's funny that Williams is ranked 5th nationally, when many posters question if the Ephs will be as high as 5th in the NESCAC!

amh63

Early polls, especially pre-season ones do generate chatter :).

Old Guy

Quote from: madzillagd on October 23, 2014, 11:57:24 AM
Top 25 is out.  http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2014/10/defending-champs-return-to-top-spot

Midd with no love.

Nobody at Midd is objecting, though I doubt we'll sneak up on anyone. I don't like the term, though it applies here - Midd has tremendous "upside." Lots of questionmarks too. It'll be fun. I wish the cinematographers were still on it.

NescacFan5

Really exciting that the start of practices are less than a week away. I think this year has the potential to be one of the most unique years in recent NESCAC history. With so many question marks and departures I'd say 6 times are all valid contenders for the top spot. A couple specific teams/players that will be fun to watch unfold throughout the season:

An Amherst team without Toomey. Toomey was responsible for a ridiculous amount of their offense last year. If we had next-level stats, his usage rate would have been through the roof with no other NESCAC player even in the picture. Take his departure, as well as Kalema and Killian and you have a high percentage of your offense gone. I think Connor Green is going to thrive given the new opportunities. He'll be used more in ball screens and have more chances to create for himself and others (which he rarely did last year). The hype around Dawson is growing and I am really tempted to believe it. I can't wait to see what he can do.

When does Tuft's potential turn into production? For years Tuft's has been deemed "the most talented team in the NESCAC". With so much "potential" I can only wonder when they're going to break through. This very well could be the year. With a healthy Ferris and the best front court in the league, they could be one of the toughest teams to beat. Tarik Smith will have to step up as a floor general but they certainly won't lose any rebounding battles so they always have that to fall back on.

A Maker-less Williams. As Kevin App steps on to the scene he certainly has his work cut out for him. With the departure of Mayer, Robinson and Epley it will be very interesting to see if they can maintain their previously potent offense in a new system. I really think their success depends on three guys. Hayden Rooke-Ley, Dan Wohl and Dan Aronowitz. Many would throw Greenman into this conversation as well but I think his role won't actually change much from late in the season last year. He'll take 6-9 shots a game and be solid distributor and court general, exactly what they need him to do. Rooke-Ley will have a chance to be an all league player (assuming health isn't an issue). It will be interesting to see if Wohl can translate from his supporting cast role (which he played SO well last year) into a go-to-guy down the stretch of big games. Aronowitz is the wildcard of the group. If he can grow as an offensive threat I really think they could surprise a lot of people. I think he could become a 10-12 ppg, 6 rpg guy if given quality minutes. Killcullen is an offensive weapon who is a match up nightmare for opposing centers. The only worry with him is his interior defense which will have to improve if they want to compete for a championship.

A maturing group in Middleton. I think Wesleyan will be in the mix for a championship come March. They're a year older and they have very good guard play as well as emerging big men. However, if they're going to compete for a championship they're going to need somebody to step up as an all-league player and right now I don't know who that is. It could be Rafferty, Mackey, Edmonds or Davis. After leading them in scoring, Rafferty is probably the most likely candidate out of the bunch. If he can score at a more efficient rate he, as long with the Cardinals as a team, will be a tough matchup.

I'm interested if anyone has any information on the freshmen group this year. I have heard very little about any of them. It will be very interesting to see if any of them can impact programs the way so many from the Class of 2017 did last year.

All in all, it should be a great year! Can't wait to get it all started.