BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Heys

Interesting season his team had...held the lead over then #1 UVA, losing 4-3...losing 7-2 to NAIA Huntington.

Baseball is a funny game.  And by funny I mean cruel and heartless.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jack Parkman

I agree with everyone who thinks this is a good hire.  I know absolutely nothing about the guy but CMS needs a culture change immediately. The CMS program is one that has not made any progress in a long time.  OXY has made a lot of progress over the past few years, Whittier has shown glimpses of turning it around (ahem, Purple Heys), Redlands is going to be solid next year and Caltech's guy is doing all he can to turn that program around.  The top-teams seem like they will be around for a while and Chapman will certainly be back sooner than later.  Hopefully CMS will make the SCIAC a better conference in the near future.

The field is nice but they could easily make it more of a "stadium" feel.  I know they are upgrading their other facilities so maybe it will happen for baseball as well.

Bishopleftiesdad

From what I understand,  he was not run off, but it was clear that his contract was not TN going to be renewed, when it was up. He always wanted to come back and coach at CMS, and this was a good opportunity. This was discussed over at Hsbaseballweb.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on July 07, 2015, 10:52:37 PM
From what I understand,  he was not run off, but it was clear that his contract was not TN going to be renewed, when it was up. He always wanted to come back and coach at CMS, and this was a good opportunity. This was discussed over at Hsbaseballweb.

Good info, thanks.  My wife grew up in Claremont, it's a tight community, good schools, and the folks I know from there have their roots sunk deep.  I could see why someone from Claremont would take the opportunity to get back.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on July 07, 2015, 09:34:30 PM
I agree with everyone who thinks this is a good hire.  I know absolutely nothing about the guy but CMS needs a culture change immediately. The CMS program is one that has not made any progress in a long time.  OXY has made a lot of progress over the past few years, Whittier has shown glimpses of turning it around (ahem, Purple Heys), Redlands is going to be solid next year and Caltech's guy is doing all he can to turn that program around.  The top-teams seem like they will be around for a while and Chapman will certainly be back sooner than later.  Hopefully CMS will make the SCIAC a better conference in the near future.

The field is nice but they could easily make it more of a "stadium" feel.  I know they are upgrading their other facilities so maybe it will happen for baseball as well.

Great points. This is huge for a school that values athletics and SHOULD be able to recruit well and perform well. Getting a D1 head coach will give them a definite boost. I'm sure it will be significant in the short term- better program structure on and off the field, getting guys to really buy into the program- and the long term as the improved recruiting begins to pay dividends.

And since I'm too petty to have a post solely concerning the bright future of the CMS baseball program...

Two Sagehens have accepted invitations to play in the Cape Cod league next summer after having great summer seasons this year in quality leagues. Congrats to Tanner Nishioka who hit .363 in the Alaskan League, good for second overall and getting him the Silver Slugger award, and David Gerics who had a 3.24 ERA in the Futures Collegiate league and I've heard has made impressive velocity gains this summer.

Press Release: http://pe.pomona.edu/sports/bsb/2015-16/releases/20150908fck6p9

Purple Heys

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on September 08, 2015, 06:04:00 PM
Two Sagehens have accepted invitations to play in the Cape Cod league next summer after having great summer seasons this year in quality leagues. Congrats to Tanner Nishioka who hit .363 in the Alaskan League, good for second overall and getting him the Silver Slugger award, and David Gerics who had a 3.24 ERA in the Futures Collegiate league and I've heard has made impressive velocity gains this summer.

Press Release: http://pe.pomona.edu/sports/bsb/2015-16/releases/20150908fck6p9

Pomona's Press release needs an edit...mentions Nishioka played in the Alaskan Basketball League.  :o   Unless that was his 3-point shooting percentage too... ;)

Congrats to both young men.

Purplebaseball

OK..purple hays we are getting close baseball time!  How is Whittier looking this year?  I heard the starting 2nd basemen for the last 2 yrs Gram Primm left and went to OXY? 

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purplebaseball on November 23, 2015, 01:07:52 PM
OK..purple hays we are getting close baseball time!  How is Whittier looking this year?  I heard the starting 2nd basemen for the last 2 yrs Gram Primm left and went to OXY?

Whittier conducted team tryouts this past weekend.  I wonder what the schedule for that is for the other SCIAC teams.  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purplebaseball on November 23, 2015, 01:07:52 PM

Pimm's gone.  That's D3.  Nice kid, wish him the best...until he plays WC then he's just somebody on the other side we're trying to get out.

Can't waste too much time worrying about who you don't have.  Although replacing Zavala at catcher is sure to keep Coach Rizzo up late for the time being.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on December 17, 2015, 01:40:46 PM

I think the SCIAC is going be be very tough at the top this year and the top of the NWC is pretty darn solid.  Should be a great regional in Spokane.

I think it's going to be a fun year this season.  The top SCIAC teams are going to slug it out.  In the middle, we'll see how much of a bite any of these middle teams can take out of the top teams to tilt the race, as well as battle amongst themselves for best of the rest.  Then you have Cal Tech, who appears to be moving closer to a conference win.

I will be surprised if any team runs away with it.

Jack Parkman

I agree, no team really seems like they will run away with it but I think this will be the strongest the SCIAC has been in years.  Some highlights the schedule....

La Verne looks like they put together a good schedule.  Opening up with a trip to AZ to play PLU and Linfield, plus another AZ trip later in the year for more games.  PLU visits La Verne for a pair of games in April.  Awesome.

PLU will also play 1 against Pomona and 1 against Cal Lu.

Chapman opens with an average ETBU team and then hits the road to Texas for 3 games.  They also have a pair with Webster and 1 with Ithaca.  Not too shabby.

Pomona starts out with 4 in Texas which is great to see them traveling.  They also have Pacific coming down for a series later in the year.

Whittier has Whitworth coming to town to open up after Whitworth opens with a single game against Cal Lu.

OXY really needs to dump the idea of playing Bethesda and La Sierra, those games do absolutely nothing for them.  They do get Willamette and Puget Sound for a series and a series with Rutgers-Newark but a really average non-conference schedule all around.

Looks like Redlands will be in AZ with La Verne at the same time and will get 2 with PLU and 2 with Linfield.  They have a single game with Webster, Ithaca and Puget Sound.  Really like seeing the teams going to AZ.

I'll give Claremont a pass this year but the non-conference portion is pretty bad.  La Sierra, Univ of Antelope Valley and Rutgers-Newark...hope that changes next year.

Caltech headed to AZ again for spring break but not much to mention for them.  Is this the year they win a SCIAC game???

No schedule for Cal Lu yet but it looks like they are headed to TX at the beginning of the year after a single game with Whitworth.

I like a lot of the games these teams have set up.  Good to see a lot of games with the top teams from the NWC and some other regions.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Sluggerdad

Cal Lu is on a mission this year.  They are taking two trips this year -- one to Texas and one to Arizona in order to  increase their strength of schedule, just in case they have to rely on an at large bid again to get them to the regionals.   They feel as though strength of schedule is what did them in last year -- besides, of course, dropping the conference championship game to La Verne.   Finding a starting catcher will be the key for them and having some new members of the pitching staff step up.

Bishopleftiesdad

Good to see Cal Lu doing something to improve their chances. My new favorite team in the sciac.
Good luck this season.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Sluggerdad on December 24, 2015, 08:54:20 AM
"Cal Lu is on a mission this year...Finding a starting catcher will be the key for them..."

I think Redlands, Whittier, Oxy, and CLU graduated their starting catchers and all were, respectively, outstanding players.  So, in addition to those four, who else is opening 2016 with a new backstop?  Will this lead to an increase of stolen bases over the course of the season?  Interesting sub-plot...