Previous topic - Next topic

HOPEful

Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

bballfan13

Quote from: HOPEful on August 09, 2016, 12:37:48 PM
The floor at DeVos is being redone...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI5FGuWAMac/

Interesting.  Maybe they won't cover their letters in the endzone this time  :)

HOPEful

Quote from: bballfan13 on August 09, 2016, 02:15:35 PM
"Yay!!!! Scratch the paint being covered by the bleachers off the list of stupid reasons calvin fans think (incorrectly) that Van Noordt is better than DeVos!" - my response on the instagram photo :)
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

sac

Def. a smaller font  (on second look maybe the space is just better utilized)   in the endzones and the anchor is like everyone's center court logo, huge.

Before

After

Floor is not finished yet, so that's the current difference in wood color

bballfan13

Quote from: HOPEful on August 10, 2016, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: bballfan13 on August 09, 2016, 02:15:35 PM
"Yay!!!! Scratch the paint being covered by the bleachers off the list of stupid reasons calvin fans think (incorrectly) that Van Noordt is better than DeVos!" - my response on the instagram photo :)

At least spell it right  ;)

Smitty Oom

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2016/09/palestra-top-125-venue

Not sure if you guys saw this story but U of Rochester named to the Basketball Hall of Fame top 125 basketball venues. Very cool that a D3 school was able to make the list! Can't argue with the HoF I think we have to agree that Rochester takes the crown for UAA best gym! Also, can anybody find the fill list of 125? I can't seem to find it and would like to see what else made the cut.

WUPHF

Quote from: Smitty Oom on November 11, 2016, 09:54:21 PM
Very cool that a D3 school was able to make the list! Can't argue with the HoF I think we have to agree that Rochester takes the crown for UAA best gym!

I'll have to disagree until convinced otherwise.

I have never been to the Palestra in Rochester, but I have been to the Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania.  The latter is very cool even in photos.  But when I look at photos of the Palestra in Rochester, it looks mostly like an average small college gym.

It is great to see an 85-86 year old gym that has stood the test of time, but in terms of history and tradition, in the UAA, I'll take the gym with the 17 national championships between basketball and volleyball and the 5 presidential/vice presidential debates.

I am thankful that the elevated bleachers that were popular in many gyms at the time the Palestra have mostly disappeared.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If you haven't been there... hard to argue against it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 13, 2016, 04:39:47 PM
If you haven't been there... hard to argue against it.

It is not that hard when the only point I am making is that it is not the coolest gym in the conference.

I have been to both the Palestra in Philadelphia and the Hinkle Fieldhouse, but even if I had not, I could make a very convincing argument for the importance of both gyms with photos alone.  I cannot do the same with the Palestra in Rochester.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

But that is my point... you have been to both and thus your view of photos is influenced by your first hand experience. You have not been to the Palestra and thus you don't have the same first-hand experience describing it through photos. Your first-hand experience is a bias. Plain and simple. I have been to the Palestra and I can tell you there is something unique and different about it that makes it a very cool place to watch games at. And with that said, I am not arguing it is or isn't better than the Philly Palestra or Hinkle, because I have not been there. I am in no position to make the argument and basing it on photos is like saying because I see a headshot of someone, I can determine how good a basketball player they are.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 14, 2016, 10:56:01 AM
I am in no position to make the argument and basing it on photos is like saying because I see a headshot of someone, I can determine how good a basketball player they are.

I respectfully disagree that you can follow the logic from one to the other.

As for my own biases, my point was that I could post pictures of all three gyms and get others to agree that both Hinkle and the Palestra (PA) are both special.  If I had my Division I fan-friends look at a pictures of 10 small college gyms, I doubt anyone would notice anything unusual about the Rochester gym except for the old-style raised bleachers and possibly the rear entry hallways.

I trust your judgement that the Palestra is a very cool gym.  It certainly has stood the test of time and that alone makes the gym noteworthy. 

Just Bill

UW-River Falls is opening a new facility this year. Looks very nice...

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

gordonmann

Other new gyms opening this year?