BB: GSAC: Great South Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 11, 2006, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank_ezelle

Millsaps will broadcast their baseball games today through Sunday.  I think there will be a 15 minute pregame show for most of these but the time I'm listing will be the starting time in the Central Time Zone (all games are being played in the ETZ).

Thursday vs. LaGrange @ 3:00 p.m.
Friday vs. LaGrange @ 2:00 p.m.
Saturday vs. Piedmont @ noon
Sunday vs. Piedmont @ 1:00 p.m

Radio Link:  http://www.espnradio1240.com/listenlive.php

(The broadcast schedule went back and forth between doing the baseball or the basketball tournament.  I think it finally was decided to do the baseball but I won't be 100% sure until I actually here the broadcast this afternoon.)
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

Uncle Jessie

I have a Yahoo baseball league devoted to Virginia fans. All I ask is that you name your team after your VA college or VA city that you live in.  Email me if you would like to join.
2003-04 USAC football champions 2004 NCAA football playoffs
1989,90,91 ESAC champions men's basketball
1996 DIXIE champions men's basketball 1989,91,96 NCAA basketball tournament
1991 ESAC baseball champions 2009,10 NCAA baseball tournament
2009,10 NCAA Division III World Series
2010 USAC baseball champions

batteredbard

Congrats to MC's Adam Rosen for breaking the school's career hit record with his 171st Sunday in the win over Mount Union.

Coach Washburn has the Diamond Scots looking up at 11-6, though I really want to see the conference opener which pits him against LaGrange -- where he was an asst coach before being hired at MC for his first head coaching gig.

It looks like pitcher Zach Smigiel (pronounced like bagel) is the real thing. The transfer is 4-0 on the mound and the team is playing very strong behind him both defensively and in the batters box.

"Do the write thing."

batteredbard

Hello........
With the good preconference results the GSAC has had why is the board so quiet?
LaGrange comes to Maryville for three game set starting Friday and who thought MC would be 16-7 now after going 13-28 last year?
"Do the write thing."

batteredbard

Now this is depressing, what we have to blatantly run down someone or make slander against someone's mother before the faithful from other GSAC sports take an interest in baseball.
The Scots broke into the region rankings this week after sweeping laGrange for the first time ever. www.maryvillecollege.edu/athletics/news-detail.asp?sportNameID=1&id=1897
I believe this was the first time LC swept in a GSAC series but not sure.
And to add my two cents again, Smigiel is pitching his way into all-region if not all-america status. He's 6-0 in seven appearances with a 1.94 ERA, striking out 44 of 159 faced. The team is playing really good defense behind him and was the difference in taking the series opener with LC.
"Do the write thing."

Highlander

Bard,

I was at Scotland Yard to see the Scots take the first game of the series against LC. I thought that the Scots seemed to be playing with a different attitude than they have had in years past. I believe that Coach Etch did a tremendous job, yet I think that coach Washburn has certainly made an impact. It all starts with the amount of discipline that he demands. I am pleased that the Diamond Scots are off to a great start to the season. Now, lets all support all of these great athletes and coaches who spend so much time and effort into doing that in which they love.
RIP Cody Bowers 11/19/2007

batteredbard

The attitude is different and its one that it is hard to define how it gets changed with out a coaching move. This year if someone evens the score goes up early the Scots dont fold up. They make a way to win. All three games with LaGrange boiled down to a who wanted it more and could make it happen. Fri was one-run. Sat was one-run and Sunday was a shoot out at 13-11.
They didn't show that at Milligan but it was against NAIA and wasnt using the weekend staff, though Spratling reportedly had a good start in game two and the bullpen gave up six runs in the sixth frame to take the game one loss.
Reinhardt comes in Monday (game time changed to 5 pm) but not sure who Washburn will use since its the last game before the FRi Sat conference series at Huntingdon (Game one friday, dh on sat) which could put MC in the driver's seat for the No.1 seed in a conference tourney at Scotland Yard at month's end.
"Do the write thing."

Ralph Turner

bard, of course Murvul is in Pool B, but Pool B in baseball is much much tougher.

I see the Pres AC schools (W&J and Thomas More), the UAA schools (Emory and Wash StL), a Capital AC school (Salisbury), St Scholastica MN, Ithaca and Rochester Tech in the New York Region, and Chapman in there as well.

batteredbard

I was actually referring to the GSAC tourney (didnt make that clear) which will be at Scotland Yard. The resurfacing/planting seems to have finally taken hold and the outfield grass seems to be shaping up after a touch and go look early. It certaily is more level than last season.

For MC to even get in contention for abid I think they have to win the GSAC with at most one loss, split with Emory at season's end and win the GSAC tourney. Even then it may be out of their hands and more a matter of what happens in the USA South tourney.

But nothing is impossible. Good to see them take down Reinhardt last nite, good momentum builder for this weekend's series at Huntingdon.
"Do the write thing."

Ralph Turner

The change in subject heading is to faciliate identifying the message board by sport and then by conference or subject.

Ralph Turner

NCWC

It seems like there should be more noise coming from this area.  Piedmont and La Grange seem to be solid teams this year.
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

fightingquaker1

Does anybody know if Piedmont is for real or not? I saw them give up 19 runs to Guilford this year, while scoring 18 themselves. The next day they played a little better and beat Guilford 22-5, mainly due to Guilford's pitching staff struggling. Their pitching staff didn't look great...any thoughts?

narch

Quote from: fightingquaker1 on February 18, 2009, 12:40:22 PM
Does anybody know if Piedmont is for real or not? I saw them give up 19 runs to Guilford this year, while scoring 18 themselves. The next day they played a little better and beat Guilford 22-5, mainly due to Guilford's pitching staff struggling. Their pitching staff didn't look great...any thoughts?
they've got good coaching with good coaching blood lines :)

fightingquaker1

Haha, I hear you Narch. Doesn't really say much about their talent level though...