WW

Quote from: jamtod on July 24, 2020, 09:42:58 AM
Quote from: WW on July 24, 2020, 09:13:14 AM
Quote from: formerd3db on July 23, 2020, 06:36:22 PM
Quote from: jamtod on July 23, 2020, 05:29:08 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on July 23, 2020, 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: jamtod on July 23, 2020, 12:58:58 PM
Quote from: WW on July 23, 2020, 12:38:20 PM
For what it's worth, the Wisconsin high school athletic governing body (WIAA) is about to recommend Sept 7 practice start, Sept 21 games start, six (or seven) game season, three levels of playoffs.

I don't know if WIAC would follow suit or even care what the high schools do, but it is a precedent of sorts.

I suspect in many decisions, the college decisions might differ from high school as a result of:
* students coming from a wide geography
* for many small communities, a heavy population influx (relative to year-round population) with concerns about stress on hospital systems, etc

I don't know how much pressure or influence these cities/local public health departments have on the colleges, but I'm sure there are conversations happening that will impact these decisions.

Believe me, the local and state public health departments have a lot in the say of what and how the colleges will be allowed to conduct the services and activities involved from athletics to food services, etc.

This explains why some of the major colleges operate in their own "municipality" encompassing solely the university property. I think Notre Dame, Indiana and Stanford, CA are both setup this way. So they contract for police and fire protection.

That may be true for some schools as you point out. However, for others, there is both i.e. joint oversight. At Michigan State, they have their own police department {as do the schools you mention I'm sure), yet both MSU's and the City of East Lansing's police department have juristriction over law enforcement on campus. Again, the local and county health/medical laws, mandates, etc., are in effect even of there is an autonomous munincipality. At most places the county health administrators can come in and shut down, for example the food services, cafeterias , on- campus delis, including for athletic pre-season camps if deemed necessary for health concerns, inspections, etc.

I don't think this is a relevant discussion per WIAC. If any member schools were in Dane or Milwaukee counties, then perhaps.

Do you not think the city of River Falls, increasing its local population by 25% from all over the state (including Dane and Milwaukee counties) and country could have some concerns and oversight for UW-River Falls?

I think it is even more relevant for schools that are in populations outside of hot spots currently. It's no doubt a complicated picture, with real economic concerns for these towns as well.

I'm talking about holding football games.

mustang91

mustang91

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WW

Now that conferences that align with every other D3 football program in Wisconsin (CCIW, NACC, MWC) have shut down fall sports, are we waiting for the last shoe to drop? Or is WIAC gonna give it a shot?

wally_wabash

Quote from: WW on July 27, 2020, 04:09:14 PM
Now that conferences that align with every other D3 football program in Wisconsin (CCIW, NACC, MWC) have shut down fall sports, are we waiting for the last shoe to drop? Or is WIAC gonna give it a shot?

They are not.  And the statement spikes the notion of any kind of formal spring season as well. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

02 Warhawk

Not really surprising...probably the best thing to do.

Now we play the game of which seniors plan on returning, for a 5th year, with a year of eligibility left.

WW

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on July 27, 2020, 08:05:41 PM

Now we play the game of which seniors plan on returning, for a 5th year, with a year of eligibility left.

Or a 6th year. Some kind-of credible talk about a 5-game spring season on the Twitterverse.

badgerwarhawk

Pretty much what I expected would happen. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

Quote from: WW on July 27, 2020, 08:56:30 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on July 27, 2020, 08:05:41 PM

Or a 6th year. Some kind-of credible talk about a 5-game spring season on the Twitterverse.

Sorry, spring season report does not appear credible. Whitewater AD was on local radio this morning, said this...

From @UWWhitewater AD Ryan Callahan, on why the WIAC had to cancel the fall sports season: "The cost of the tests ... it would be impossible. It just became a mountain that I don't think any of us could get close to climbing. That was basically the straw that broke the camel's back, how are we going to test our athletes -- especially in the 'high risk' sports."

Brad

It has been awhile for me on here, but I am starting to wonder if the WIAC is in some trouble for football as a whole. Every school in the conference lost a good amount of money last spring when everything closed now another semester up in the air. Are kids going back to school? Are coaches still getting paid? Can they be in the weight room with the strength coaches? This leaves me with so many questions.

The kids who are really going to get hurt by this are the 2021 recruits. I am sure every WIAC school planned to bring in between 130-160. With none of these kids losing a year of eligibility, the WIAC schools are not going to need more than a 25 man recruiting class. Most year recruiting classes are 55+ for most teams. I really feel for these going to be seniors in high school.

bleedpurple

I can't speak for the schools, but from what I know about the coaches at UW-W, they will take whatever windows of opportunities are afforded them and give the student-athletes an opportunity to get better. I am of the belief that practices and strength and conditioning will both be allowed. I believe the coaches will challenge the guys to become stronger physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  I saw Coach Cerroni estimated an attrition rate at UW-O to be 30%. I'm assuming he was talking about incoming freshmen, but the article didn't make that clear.

Speaking of Coach Cerroni, he will be inducted into the WFCA Hall of Fame in 2021.  Congratulations to Coach as well as to all the assistants and players/former players who made that possible. It's a great honor for the whole program.

WW

Quote from: Brad on July 28, 2020, 03:02:50 PM
It has been awhile for me on here, but I am starting to wonder if the WIAC is in some trouble for football as a whole. Every school in the conference lost a good amount of money last spring when everything closed now another semester up in the air. Are kids going back to school? Are coaches still getting paid? Can they be in the weight room with the strength coaches? This leaves me with so many questions.

The kids who are really going to get hurt by this are the 2021 recruits. I am sure every WIAC school planned to bring in between 130-160. With none of these kids losing a year of eligibility, the WIAC schools are not going to need more than a 25 man recruiting class. Most year recruiting classes are 55+ for most teams. I really feel for these going to be seniors in high school.

I feel for all of them -- they'll all lose something. But most senior classes are down to 20-25 guys anyway at a WIAC school. I'd expect you'd get only maybe five of them to tack on another year or semester just to play another year of ball. Consider the costs, and the lost opportunity costs. I just don't see that influencing recruit numbers at all.

WIAC football will be fine, IMO. The effect this will have on the smaller privates is more worrisome.

palum

Most if not all WIAC schools use student fees  to support athletics in exchange for free admission to games. Now that fall sports have been cancelled will they reduce the amount of the student fees?