FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on May 28, 2015, 11:14:46 AM
Quote from: jknezek on May 28, 2015, 10:47:13 AM
Quote from: hasanova on May 28, 2015, 10:07:51 AM
Brevard is in western NC, so not so far from Maryville, Piedmont and the like.  It's a haul to NC Wesleyan in eastern NC and would have been a very long trip to CNU.  NC covers a lot of territory east to west ... with Tennessee, you can go Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River in only two states ... same with Virginia and Kentucky or Virginia and Tennessee (and, for you purists, Georgia and Tennessee lol).

I do not think Brevard would be a successful candidate for the ODAC or SAA ... USASAC is, in my opinion, their best option.  My nephew attended there as a DII basketball player, so I know their history in the DII South Atlantic Conference.
Me either to the bolded part. I'm just thinking more overall density. The USASC is a huge geographic footprint, although not as bad as the ASC. The south just needs more density to lower the costs in a few of these conferences. The SAA is probably less worried about costs than fit, but I'd think the USASC would love to consolidate a bit. Huntingdon to CNU was a bear, so dropping the northern team helps. But Huntingdon to Averett is still almost 550 miles as is Huntingdon to Methodist. That's a long trip...
Brevard was a JC in my lifetime and has a relatively small student body and alumni base ... I bet they don't have the finances (including endowment) to support far-flung travel.  I think they were taking their lumps in DII football with the likes of Carson-Newman and Lenoir-Rhyne in their conference.
Speaking of taking their "lumps", Brevard was 1-10 in 2014: started the season 0-10 and ended the season with a 66-0 win over Charlotte-based College(?) of Faith, a team that set all sorts of records for futility ... including a very lop-sided loss to Wesley.

Scots13

Not football related, but congratulations to MC short stop Nick Dean who was just picked up in the 32nd round of the MLB draft by the Dodgers.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

abnrgr

I guess the allure (to me anyway) of culling these schools from conferences as tied to ODAC and USA. The Carolina Conference created with only NC football schools and the Virginia Conference would have their potential of big time if they had all the VA schools in a VA conference, I am sure SOMEONE has talked about the VA conf. many times before. Just had my last surgery this past week so I should be ready for the summer.  Goof luck to everyone out of the conferences.  :)
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

narch

so media day happened yesterday...any thoughts on the pre-season poll?

1. Huntingdon
2. Maryville
3. Methodist
4. Lagrange
5. NCWC
6. Averett
7. Ferrum
8. Greensboro

Hawks88

I would be very happy, of course, if it ended up like that.  ;D We have to figure out how to beat LaGrange and Methodist though, since that hasn't happened the last two years. If everybody we expect to be back makes it and we stay healthy, I like our chances.

Go Hawks!

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on July 31, 2015, 02:12:33 PM
I would be very happy, of course, if it ended up like that.  ;D We have to figure out how to beat LaGrange and Methodist though, since that hasn't happened the last two years. If everybody we expect to be back makes it and we stay healthy, I like our chances.

Go Hawks!

Hey Hawks. I'm planning to be at B-SC this year for the game. Yellow motor home, parked on the hill behind the end zone. Family will be tailgating provided the little ones are healthy and the weather is good. If you are going to be at the game let me know and I'll char you some kind of meat and hand out the pop.

Hawks88

Quote from: jknezek on July 31, 2015, 04:46:20 PM

Go Hawks!

Hey Hawks. I'm planning to be at B-SC this year for the game. Yellow motor home, parked on the hill behind the end zone. Family will be tailgating provided the little ones are healthy and the weather is good. If you are going to be at the game let me know and I'll char you some kind of meat and hand out the pop.
JK,
Right now we are planning on being at that one. Maybe I'll grill you some of my chicken wings.

Scots13

Has anyone taken a look at Canadian football? 12 men, 3 downs, larger field, crazy scoring.

I can get into this for the next month until we start real foosball...

(A game is on ESPN2 right now)
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on July 31, 2015, 10:44:06 PM

Go Hawks!

JK,
Right now we are planning on being at that one. Maybe I'll grill you some of my chicken wings.

Excellent. Keep in touch about it. We are pretty obvious sitting up behind the end zone in our old RV.

CNU85

Quote from: narch on July 31, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
so media day happened yesterday...any thoughts on the pre-season poll?

1. Huntingdon
2. Maryville
3. Methodist
4. Lagrange
5. NCWC
6. Averett
7. Ferrum
8. Greensboro

Gotta say it is strange not seeing CNU in there somewhere for the first time in our football history. Things sure have changed. We now get Wesley and Salisbury every year along with some other strong teams. NJAC poll has CNU 5th!

Good luck to you guys this year. I will have to figure out which USA South team to support.....Perhaps Methodist!?

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on July 31, 2015, 10:44:06 PM

Go Hawks!

JK,

Looks like they changed this to a night game? Probably won't make it with my kids. They are too young to be out that late. Bummer. I might still come by though.

Hawks88

Huntingdon had 152 report this weekend with the first practice today. Ready to get the ball rolling. Go Hawks!

Scots13

MC announces captains and new alternate uniform.
http://mcscots.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/201508201tuyic

Saw a picture of the haze top with white pants. Looks sharp.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on August 21, 2015, 01:33:50 PM
MC announces captains and new alternate uniform.
http://mcscots.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/201508201tuyic

Saw a picture of the haze top with white pants. Looks sharp.
I agree ... good looking uniform.

Scots13

Quick little report of the MC/BSC scrimmage today from the MC Athletics facebook page:

"Report from football scrimmage at Birmingham-Southern. After a slow start that included a pair of offensive turnovers, the Scots used a 60-yard TD run by Trenton Shuler and a 50-yard TD dash by Evan Pittenger along with a stingy defense that allowed only one score and a field goal."

With 2 All-USAC OL graduated, looks like Coach Bailey has some guys stepping up.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!