World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

We need a coach who can identify young players and develop them.  Quieroz would be fantastic at doing this (as he's proven as an assistant at ManU for a while now), but he was also a dismal failure in his one year as head coach and I'm not sure his style would be right for our guys.

Ideal situation: bring in Klinsmann to amp our offense and hire a couple of out of work talent-evaluators to find our next generation of stars and steer them in the right direction developmentally.  You can get some of those guys as "consultants" for a few months or a year and it would really help our development.

Guus Hiddink can do both of those things mentioned above, but Russia has supposedly locked him up months ago.  Klinsmann would be a good replacement.  I also would like Van Baasten; I don't think Holland will keep him on.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

David Collinge

According to the front page of D3Hoops.com, it looks like former UW-River Falls star forward Rich Melzer has signed a contract with Tottenham Hotspur.  Finally a solid D3 presence in the EPL!

What's that, Pat?  San Antonio, you say?  Oh.

Never mind.   :-[

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: David Collinge on July 14, 2006, 09:28:27 PM
According to the front page of D3Hoops.com, it looks like former UW-River Falls star forward Rich Melzer has signed a contract with Tottenham Hotspur.  Finally a solid D3 presence in the EPL!

What's that, Pat?  San Antonio, you say?  Oh.

Never mind.   :-[

Very nice!

I think the U.S. has gained respect in the last 6-8 years or whatever, despite the poor showing in this year's World Cup.  Back when they signed Arena, I think he was both the best coach available and the only "international" coach that thought the US job was attractive.

Now that the US has kind of become a player on the international level, I think there are a lot more options for coaches.  Back in time, there is no way someone like Klinsmann would even consider coaching the US team (if he is even considering it now). 

I saw that Yallop was a consideration, but I think it's best for the US team to pick someone "outside the family".  Yallop has played in MLS and has coached in MLS.  I think we need to go in a totally different direction and pick someone "outside the box".  Quieroz has done wonders under Sir Alex Ferguson (but apparently can't coach Real Madrid!).  Guus Hiddink could also be a possibility.  Though Russia has "claimed" him for sometime now, it's nothing that money can't fix.  Look internationally and give the US team a whole new look.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

gobombers15

Recently talked to a friend who is in Europe for the summer. He is in London right now and gave me some inside info on who will be playing for Chelsea in the MLS All-Star Game. This is based on an interview with Jose Mourinho that he read in the Evening Times.

Almost definitely won't be playing:
-Carvalho (Portugal)
-Paulo Ferreira (Portugal)
-Ballack (Germany)
-Shevchenko (Ukraine)
-Makelele (France)
-Gallas (France)

All of those players besides Shevchenko made the Semi-Finals of the World Cup. Shevchenko has been battling nagging injuries so it's understandable why he will not be playing

Most likely will not be playing...
-Frank Lampard (England)
-Hernan Crespo (Argentina)
-Petr Cech (going to play newly acquired Henrique Hilario...backup for Portugal)
-Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

May play, but most likely not...
-Joe Cole (England)
-del Horno (Spain)
-John Terry (England)

I can see Terry playing but given that he played every minute of England's matches and that he's far too important for Chelsea's chances to make a threepeat, he may just stay home for this one.

Will most likely make the trip and get some playing time...

-Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
-Michael Essien (Ghana)

Essien played in each of Ghana's three preliminary round matches but missed the Brazil match due to accumulated yellow cards. Drogba missed the Ivory Coast's third and final first round match due to accumulated yellow cards.

I think we'll see those two players see the field. Other than that, it's going to  be Chelsea's reserves.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Greek Tragedy

Nice work gobombers15!

That's too bad that the American public won't see thee Chelsea in person...then again, I don't feel bad for them at all since I was at Soldier Field when Manchester United showed up with a second-string squad...man, I was pissed!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

I know there is a women's soccer board, but no 'room' for the national team (and precious few readers anyway).

The US national team beat perennial contender Sweden yesterday in an exhibition - one WILD finish!  Tied 1-1 after 88 minutes (in near 100 degree conditions, despite being just north of Minneapolis), the US scored a goal in the 89th minute, Sweden countered with a goal in the 91st minute, then Kristine Lilley got the winner in the 92nd minute!

Amazing anyone could still MOVE by then with those temperatures.

gobombers15

Hey now, the Midwest gets real hot in the summer. Remember what happened to Korey Stringer, the offensive tackle for the Vikings, a few years ago in that Minnesota summer heat.

When I played soccer, I found it easier to score at the end of games played in high temperatures. It just seems like EVERYONE is tired and players get sloppy. Sloppiness by the defense usually hurts a lot more than the same from the offensive players.

I hated games played in the freezing weather. Trying to get a good strike on a ball that's frozen when you can no longer feel any of your extremities makes things real difficult.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 16, 2006, 08:09:48 PM
I know there is a women's soccer board, but no 'room' for the national team (and precious few readers anyway).

True enough.  We can talk women's soccer here!  They are much better looking than the men.

I think I saw highlights of that exibition game.  As you mentioned, the score was tied in the 88th minute, but you forgot about the part where Mia Hamm headbutts the Swedish defender with 10 minutes to go...and after Lilly scored to win the winner, Brandi Chastain tore off her jersey and ran around in her sports bra showing off those amazing abs!  Oh wait a minute, I think that was a dream...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think for that Chelsea match you'll see the likes of:

Hilario in goal (thanks to bombers for that one)

Drogba and/or Shawn-Wright Phillips up front

Damien Duff, Geremi, Essien, John Mikel in midfield

and four defenders you've never heard of (although I think Del horno may play)

It will still be a pretty formidable squad, albeit much easier for the MLS guys to deal with, especially if we have an MLS ref.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Old School on July 14, 2006, 10:13:48 PM
Back when they signed Arena, I think he was both the best coach available and the only "international" coach that thought the US job was attractive.

Arena wasn't an international coach.  He was just the DC United coach, but also unquestionably the best American coach anywhere.  He still is, but it international football, 4 years is about all one coach can be expected to do without a drop in output.

It will be Klinsmann; everyone says its a done deal.  Even Donovon came out the other day and said "Do you think they'd let Bruce go before they had the next guy in place?"

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: gobombers15 on July 16, 2006, 11:44:39 PM
Hey now, the Midwest gets real hot in the summer. Remember what happened to Korey Stringer, the offensive tackle for the Vikings, a few years ago in that Minnesota summer heat.

When I played soccer, I found it easier to score at the end of games played in high temperatures. It just seems like EVERYONE is tired and players get sloppy. Sloppiness by the defense usually hurts a lot more than the same from the offensive players.

I hated games played in the freezing weather. Trying to get a good strike on a ball that's frozen when you can no longer feel any of your extremities makes things real difficult.

I concur with everything you said.

Having grown up in Peoria, IL, I'm well aware of midwest heat waves, but I suspect they hadn't anticipated upper 90's when they scheduled the exhibition in Blaine, MN!  (I didn't realize the heat wave was nationwide until I saw the paper today - 115 in Pierrre, SD, yesterday!)

I agree that extreme heat favors the offense.  First goal I ever scored in a competitive game (as a rookie at age 46 - that's how late I came to soccer!) was in extreme heat.  I curved a ball right into the upper left corner of the goal (idiot that I am, I admitted to people that it was intended as a pass!  Fortunately, I scored an INTENDED goal later that same game.).

I've always figured that the ideal temperature for players is about 10 degrees cooler than the ideal for spectators:  early spring or late fall, about 55 degrees; May thru October, about 65 degrees.  (Of course, good luck on getting in a game at 65 degrees in July or August!)  Although extreme heat may be more dangerous, if I had to choose I'd take it over 34 degrees and windy (including games played in snow and/or sleet).

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 17, 2006, 09:41:07 AM

That's if Del Horno doesn't sign with Valencia first.  Also, SWP is more of a winger, so Drogba may be up front by himself.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School on July 17, 2006, 08:00:41 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 16, 2006, 08:09:48 PM

True enough.  We can talk women's soccer here!  They are much better looking than the men.

I think I saw highlights of that exibition game.  As you mentioned, the score was tied in the 88th minute, but you forgot about the part where Mia Hamm headbutts the Swedish defender with 10 minutes to go...and after Lilly scored to win the winner, Brandi Chastain tore off her jersey and ran around in her sports bra showing off those amazing abs!  Oh wait a minute, I think that was a dream...

Alas, Mia has retired (and Brandi too?).  But you DO have much more interesting dreams than I do! ;)

Mia had the intensity of Zizou, but better control.  I doubt she ever head-butted an opponent, and am pretty sure her red-card lifetime total was very close to zero.  But you're right about the looks - Nomar is one lucky dude (Mia Hamm is very high on my list of sexiest women who ever lived). ;D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Old School on July 17, 2006, 10:22:47 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 17, 2006, 09:41:07 AM

That's if Del Horno doesn't sign with Valencia first.  Also, SWP is more of a winger, so Drogba may be up front by himself.

Yeah, Del Hornor may be out.  SWP is listed a striker on Chelsea's roster, so I went with it.  I know he plays wing for the national teams.

Gotberg

Quote from: gobombers15 on July 15, 2006, 01:44:32 AM
Recently talked to a friend who is in Europe for the summer. He is in London right now and gave me some inside info on who will be playing for Chelsea in the MLS All-Star Game. This is based on an interview with Jose Mourinho that he read in the Evening Times.

Almost definitely won't be playing:
-Carvalho (Portugal)
-Paulo Ferreira (Portugal)
-Ballack (Germany)
-Shevchenko (Ukraine)
-Makelele (France)
-Gallas (France)

All of those players besides Shevchenko made the Semi-Finals of the World Cup. Shevchenko has been battling nagging injuries so it's understandable why he will not be playing

Most likely will not be playing...
-Frank Lampard (England)
-Hernan Crespo (Argentina)
-Petr Cech (going to play newly acquired Henrique Hilario...backup for Portugal)
-Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

May play, but most likely not...
-Joe Cole (England)
-del Horno (Spain)
-John Terry (England)

I can see Terry playing but given that he played every minute of England's matches and that he's far too important for Chelsea's chances to make a threepeat, he may just stay home for this one.

Will most likely make the trip and get some playing time...

-Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
-Michael Essien (Ghana)

Essien played in each of Ghana's three preliminary round matches but missed the Brazil match due to accumulated yellow cards. Drogba missed the Ivory Coast's third and final first round match due to accumulated yellow cards.

I think we'll see those two players see the field. Other than that, it's going to  be Chelsea's reserves.

Considering Robben went out in the round 2 loss to The Netherlands, I would think he'd play.  He lost so much time last year due to injury, he needs to put himself back in Mourinho's radar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cole and Lampard play as well - particularly Cole.  Not sure if he'll be considered the odd man out with Ballack brought in, but he needs to show well in preseason to get minutes.

Chelsea plays their first game 2 weeks after the all-star game I believe, so they'll want to be ready.  At least publicly, they've stated that Chelsea only plays games to win, so I assume they'll put out a fairly strong squad.  Quite frankly, they can't help but put out a strong squad because they don't carry any weak players.  Putting out a strong team would only make sense because they're still trying to market their name in the U.S.  Even though they're currently a better side than Man U and Arsenal, they don't have as strong of a marketing imprint.  Peter Kenyon knows that Americans like winners, so they need to play well, unlike Fulham last year.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best