TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT

Quote from: hscoach on November 06, 2008, 02:26:13 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 06, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
In any case, I value the insights of the people on the board who have seen other teams or have the insight you can get seeing a team several times.

Uh, Mount Union is pretty good.

How's that for some insight? ;)

Going out on a limb there coach, or are you sure about this one  ;)

retagent

I guess I have my answer. I wish I could be sure that they have it wrong, but the fact is, I'm not sure myself. It could be that the Pool A MIAC team gets to play UWW at UWW, or UWSP at Stevens Point. Not a trip I would want to take.

Ralph Turner

Look at the way the top 11 moved their vote totals from week 9 to week 10.  There was no change in the order, only a change in the vote totals.

Team............Position.....Votes #10.....Votes #9
MUC1625625
NCC2582583
Wabash3533558
M'saps4521508
UWW5507499
Muhl6504496
Cort7465467
UMHB8464459
Wesley9421418
W'lam10420389
HSU11383364

Net vote gainers are in bold.

Wabash lost 25 votes or the equivalent of 1 ranking after their 27-7  60-7 win over Oberlin.  Wabash plays DePauw this week.  It looks like Millsaps, UWW and Muhlenberg picked up some of those votes.

wesleydad

ralph, thanks for the breakdown.  looks like voters are readjusting which is how it should be this late in the season.

labart96

nice to see hobart back in the top 25.  could have been earlier if not for the slip up vs. union.  still - given it's been 2 years - this hobart fan is enjoying seeing the statesmen up there.

WAF78

Ralph...not to nit pick...but Wabash beat Oberlin 60-7...not 27-7....and that was in week 9.  Also...we dropped votes this week after beating Hiram 63-0 in week 10. Our second team played all but one series in the second half...on the road...so maybe we should have left the first team in and beaten them 94-0...maybe then we wouldn't have lost any votes?  Yes...we play DePauw this week for the Monon Bell. Looking forward to a great game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: WAF78 on November 10, 2008, 12:27:53 AM
Ralph...not to nit pick...but Wabash beat Oberlin 60-7...not 27-7.
My bad!  I got the "27-7" off the Wooster page on this site!

http://www.d3football.com/school/WOO/2008

Thanks!  :)

:D :D :D Maybe Wooster loaded the score wrong!

:D :D :D Boink! 

Pat Coleman

I doubt any Hiram score would've made a difference.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: retagent on November 09, 2008, 11:25:24 AM
Taking the risk of being misconstrued, as jam40 appears to have been, I'm just wondering whether either Carleton or St John's will get into the top 25 this week. I guess it all depends on whether you see the MIAC glass as being half-full or half empty. It goes without saying that parity has come to that league. Whether the voters believe that means that all teams have gone down, or that the traditional lesser teams have risen, is the question.

Strangely, I think the quality of play in that league has been up this year, and I don't think that's always the case in a league with a close race. The MIAC was pretty good in non-conference play this year, which is a good indicatior.

Still, I didn't vote for a MIAC team this week. It might still be too difficult to tell which is the one that's top 25 worthy, although we have narrowed the title picture down to two.

How odd if the MIAC had knocked SJU down a peg and they still rebounded to win the conference?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Mr. Ypsi

I have a (granted, very trivial) question about #20 and #21: Franklin and Trine.  Since Trine is undefeated, while Franklin's only loss is at Trine, they have two common opponents (Defiance and Manchester) that Franklin dispatched by a combined 61-34 but Trine downed by a combined 83-27, and both have pretty mediocre schedules (signature wins probably being Franklin over RHIT [and perhaps BW, but that was before Trine beat them, so IMO should be discounted] and Trine over Adrian), why is Franklin ahead of Trine?

As I said, trivial - but these sort of obscure anomalies pique my interest! ;D

Pat Coleman

I can only speak for myself -- Trine's struggles to put Kalamazoo, Hope and Olivet away made it difficult for me to vote for them very highly.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 10, 2008, 01:42:14 AM
I can only speak for myself -- Trine's struggles to put Kalamazoo, Hope and Olivet away made it difficult for me to vote for them very highly.

Yeah, that's what I figured, too - but I can't lay ALL my cards on the table when I'm lodging a 'protest'! :D

I still would have figured that h-to-h and common opponents ought to lead to 1-slot away the other way.

Superfoot Wallace

That logic seems to say Franklin wouldn't have issue putting those same teams away.  Should place some value, if any, on an ability to win the close game. 

Franklin has let some big early leads slip, but this might be attributable to the way the FC defense is tailored to fit their offense.

For some reason these two Indiana teams' compositions are remniscent of championship teams from the far West and Northwest, whereas the dynamic of Indiana's third playoff representative appears more akin to those of the nearer West and East recent championship teams.

Weather very well might play a significant role in these teams' fortunes.  There is a significant argument why Big Ten teams don't perform as well in the sunshine weather of bowl games where the fair weather conferences' teams might not be built for the plodding style of ball found to be most frequented in the colder climes.

signed,
Frosty the Snowman
See that, that spells Adidas

criswyly

I suspect that Willamette is the most underated team....and will make a big statement in the playoffs....and may have not even peaked as yet.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

HScoach

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 10, 2008, 01:37:22 AM
I have a (granted, very trivial) question about #20 and #21: Franklin and Trine.  Since Trine is undefeated, while Franklin's only loss is at Trine, they have two common opponents (Defiance and Manchester) that Franklin dispatched by a combined 61-34 but Trine downed by a combined 83-27, and both have pretty mediocre schedules (signature wins probably being Franklin over RHIT [and perhaps BW, but that was before Trine beat them, so IMO should be discounted] and Trine over Adrian), why is Franklin ahead of Trine?

As I said, trivial - but these sort of obscure anomalies pique my interest! ;D

I would bet name recognition also has something to do with it.  Plus the HCAC has shown pretty well with Franklin and Mt. St. Joe recently.  When was the last time a MIAA team has made any noise in the playoffs?
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.