MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawks4

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 26, 2018, 11:27:10 PM
How does this years CMS team compare to last years?

I think it's better than last year - at least now that everyone's healthy.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CMSfan

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 26, 2018, 11:27:10 PM
How does this years CMS team compare to last years?

The Stags got off to a rough start while Scarlett was out, but they are on nice winning streak and seem to be clicking now. As stag44 said, it's not often CMS blows out Pomona, given the intensity of the closest rivalry in college sports.

I think this year's team is better than last year's, in large part because Scott Lynds (CMS PG) is back. He missed last season due to injury, but he's a very solid player and gives CMS a deeper backcourt than they had last year. CMS is a tough, disciplined team and did a pretty good job of handling Whitman's press even without Lynds last year, but having Lynds back is huge. Michael Scarlett is the SCIAC POY and can put the Stags on his back when he needs too. Kendrick Morris also returns in the middle for CMS. He put up two big games against Whitworth and Whitman last year (he went for 20+ in both). They only lost Riley Hall from last year's roster, and while his physicality is missed, guys like Jack Ely add some muscle and intensity.

From what I've seen this year, I think they match up better with Whitworth than Whitman, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them pull off the incredible feat of taking out #2 and #1 consecutively on the opening weekend. (Okay, I'd be a little shocked...but I'm saying there's a chance!)

stag44

The teams are very different from last year and this year and I think they are both really competitive. Riley Hall was a HUGE component to the teams success last year as a leader, defender and glue guy on offense. With both Lynds and Riley last year, the team was 13-1 and playing at a very high level. This year having Lynds back was huge and since they have been healthy they are playing really well.

Whitworth also looks good this year - they just reloaded even after losing Love and Jurlina and look more explosive this year.

The CMS / WW game is going to be awesome. Both teams are playing at a very high level and are familiar with each other after their game last year. I'm sure that Roach and Logie are excited to get another chance at CMS. Scali / Lynds / Scarlett / Morris / Ely / President and the rest of the crew will be ready for the Stags!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

CMS is full of seniors who are now at full strength, playing a team they beat in a gym they know.  I think the matchup with Whitworth is even and I think they'd win 1 of 3 from Whitman.  Who knows, this week might be lucky?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gosox

CMS will do what they always do...lose in the 1st or 2nd round....but a nice season in the SCIAC....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III men's and women's national tournaments are set, teams are where they need to be, and practices underway. Now, it's just a matter of tipping off the games.

But before we tip them off, we need some final thoughts.

Tune in Thursday night to Hoopsville where Dave will talk to a number of guests about their programs and their chances in the NCAA tournament. You can't starting heading down the Road to Rochester or the Road to Salem without getting an idea of who may be joining you, either. Dave will give some insight on how some of the pods just may shake out as well.

Also, earlier in the day, Dave talked with Women's Basketball Nationall Committee chair Bobbi Morgan (also head coach at Haverford) and asked her a lot about the selection process and bracketing for this year's tournament. You can hear that special podcast here: http://bit.ly/2GUbfE0

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can tune in live here: http://bit.ly/2HSi9ed.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Marc Brown & Sam Toney, New Jersey City men's coach and star player
- Nate Davis, Gettysburg women's coach
- Jeff Rogers, Berry men's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Englestad, Southern Vermont men's coach
- Ken Scalmanini, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D O.C.

Mudd goes to the snow and brings back a W.
Good job.

blackhawks4

Final Thoughts on Last night's WW-CMS game:

• President was pretty lock-down.  I remember him from last year.  Definitely the first time all year I've seen Roach struggle. 
  • College is better than I thought.  Good player.
  • If anybody needs a last second shot, lets ask Logie.  Geez.
  • I know you don't want to take the ball out of best players hands, but Kelly had the big fella guarding him and he could not move his feet.  Kelly could have played 1-on-1 all game and gotten layups.
  • Rat is right--Hernandez had his way penetrating.

Looking forward to tonights WMN-CMS game. What we saw out of CMS (strengths)

• Scarlett is a first team All-American.  Without a doubt. He is scary good.  If the D3hoops guys got any sleep, I'd be really curious to hear their comparison of Scarlett to Babson's kid last year. 
  • CMS is sooo patient on offense.  They run through 3 options and make you defend for 20 seconds, and then...what do you know, Scarlett from 15...coming off a screen, or Scarlett iso.  Tough
  • Their big man and their other little guard (Linds?) can play too
  • Other guys knock down open 3's.

CMS weaknesses
  • CMS was AWFUL on the boards.  If they are that bad tonight, Whitman will eat them up on oboards. Might have 10 more possessions
  • CMS looked rattled by Whitworths pressure.  Can't imagine what might happen tonight.  Whitman might have another 10 possessions off turnovers
  • CMS played no helpside defense.  If the lane is that wide open, WMN could be all over the rim.

I'm very curios to see how Claremont plays Whitman.  Will they take the leash off and run and take opportunites, or will they pull it out? Defensively, who guards Howell?  How does WMN handle that big guy--could be huge asset or huge liability.  WW pulled him out on D and exposed him, but WMN doesnt really have that player (like Jared Kelly)--unless Colton. 

Hoping Scarlett doesn't go crazy tonight--I think that's the only way they pull out a win.  Prediction:  I think its a 10 pt Whitman win, but by no means is it a given. 

WoostAr

Congrats to CMS on a big win in the North West.

Now comes the problem of back-to-back games...

CMS played 3 starters 38+ minutes.

The minutes played for the top 3 Whitman starters -- 27, 26 and 24.

Whitman went 10 deep and (if you take out the guys who played 2 minutes or less) CMS goes 7 deep.

I would expect given the high pace that Whitman likes to play with and that they have managed that pace through back-to-backs all season (SCIAC doesn't play back-to-backs) that they have a leg up tonight.

But this is why we play the games!

blackhawks4

I cannot say enough about Michael Scarlett. What a fantastic player.  CMS was a VERY good team--top 10 team in the country. 

Gosox

OxyBob

Quote from: Gosox on March 05, 2018, 09:57:52 AM
So they lost in the 2nd round....again....hmm

Maybe it's just me, but if my team went 1-24 then I wouldn't have much to criticize about Claremont.

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 04, 2018, 12:24:23 AM
I cannot say enough about Michael Scarlett. What a fantastic player.  CMS was a VERY good team--top 10 team in the country. 

Great comeback by CMS against Whitman to force overtime. Just fell short.

OxyBob

Gosox

Yeah I guess if I was coaching that team...then maybe you would have a valid point! Having watched SCIAC basketball now for 11 years, no one ever makes it past 1st or 2nd rounds consistently??.....continually losing in the first or second round...I guess pointing out the facts seems to bother some......I get it...my bad..."
great year guys getting to the 2nd round!....here's to another fine season in the books....(better? easier to read?)

OxyBob

Quote from: Gosox on March 05, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
Having watched SCIAC basketball now for 11 years, no one ever makes it past 1st or 2nd rounds consistently??.....continually losing in the first or second round...I guess pointing out the facts seems to bother some

Here are some facts:

In the poll posted on February 26, Whitworth (24-3) was ranked No. 2 by D3hoops.com, and Whitman (26-1) was ranked No. 1. Claremont beat Whitworth on the road for the second year in a row. The next night CMS came back from 12 down at halftime and 7 down with 2 minutes left to force OT on Whitman's home court before losing in OT. Awesome effort.

FYI: Last season Claremont went on the road and beat 23-4 Whitworth, and then lost to 28-0 No.1 Whitman by 6.

If you'd ever been to a game at Whitworth or Whitman or Puget Sound then you'd know how tough it is to win there.

Looking forward to your next round of potshots.

OxyBob