WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescachoopsfan2

Four teams (Bates, Tufts, Amherst, and Trinity) have swept the Bowdoin-Colby weekend this year. Don't foresee a team the caliber of Williams having problems with it, either.

amh63

Maine1....Seems that several other posters on this board will be at LeFrak next weekend, including me.  One poster notified me that I should wear some identified outfit for recognition such as a suit of armor, etc......then followed up with a comment that an Amherst player's father wants to meet me.  Should I be worried?  Hope to have a big body guard.....my host and driver is an admirer of Tufts' coach.  My host supports/follows UCONN WBB.
A question to you.....is there a particular favorite Maine school that you have.....do want to minimize my stepping on toes.

Maine 1

amh63
Not surprised that a few posters will be in Amherst next week--since most of the posters are Amherst fans.
I am a Colby fan-down year for them, primarily due to the significant drop in recruiting over the past three years since McBride left.
Don't worry about stepping on toes-just keep everything constructive
Also, I agree that Williams should not have trouble with Colby/Bowdoin, but they have good teams in the past that have struggled on that trip. Tufts is likely the top team in the league, and both Colby and Bowdoin played them tough in Maine.  The Trinity/Amherst games were on the road.

remsleep

don't be too sure about Williams success up in Maine next weekend....they don't have the mind-set of an Amherst...wouldn't be at all surprised if 1-1.....

NH NESCAC Fan

No worries, amh63.  The suit of armor was meant as an identifier, not a passive protection method.   ;D

amh63

Today on the MBB "CAC" board, the head Admin. of D3Hoops, Pat Colman, posted that he planned to be in LeFrak on Sat.   My take is that the visit is to see the women's game more so than the men's....being that they are ranked no. 4 and no.5 in the latest polls.
All the more merrier, I say!

remsleep

Smith tops Williams tonight. Hersey is a real up and comer as a coach--have watched her for several years now.....after Amherst dissed her ( although they obviously did OK with Gromacki!),   look what she has done at Smith, which was pitiful prior to her arrival. Looks like Williams started their Maine trip a few days early.  They just never stretch themselves. Generally pretty talented but a little adversity and down they go.  Make that 0-2 in Maine.  Sorry, but they are sooooo frustrating.,,,,get someone like Hersey in there to coach the Ephs.,,,you would see a huge change for the better.   If anyone has watched Smith play I think you would agree with me that Hersey has gotten more out of very average talent than I have seen in quite a while.  They are intense....starting with the kid Quatrocchi who is a warrior.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: amh63 on January 28, 2013, 08:34:24 PM
Today on the MBB "CAC" board, the head Admin. of D3Hoops, Pat Colman, posted that he planned to be in LeFrak on Sat.   My take is that the visit is to see the women's game more so than the men's....being that they are ranked no. 4 and no.5 in the latest polls.
All the more merrier, I say!

Probably true -- also, we'll be teaming up with D3Cast to broadcast the game live.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

amh63

Watched the game at the start and near the end of the first half....as I went over to the men's game in RI against the ranked RIC team.  That game had a loong delay and never got back to the game in LeFrak.  Amherst won 46-30 tonight against Wes. in the game that does NOT count in the standing.  When I saw the score at halftime, 32 to 12...Amherst ahead. I lost interest.  Looking over the stats, I will simply state that Amherst's Coach G. was not happy with his team.s effort in the second half....but will tell his team to throw the game out of their heads.  There is only two days left to prepare for two conference games this weekend, with the first being Friday's game with Bates.  Though one should only look to the next game, it is still hard to prepare for back to back games in two days.  On the men's side, Coach Hixon prepares for the Sat. game on Wednesday and the Friday's game on Thursday.  When Sat's game arrives, the team players will only need to be reminded of the of the game plan...their roles refreshed/adjusted accordingly to any new info on the Sat. opponent.
It seems that Amherst had lost their intensity in the 2nd half and went down to the level of their opponent....being outscored in the second half 16 to 14.   Ugly.  Best that I refer you to the recap on the Amherst website for any objective details.

7express

Some very impressive numbers from Carla Berube and the Jumbo's this year as I was looking at their results doing the Tufts/RIC recap on the LEC board.
9 straight opponents held to 50 points or less, and in 21 games Tufts has only allowed more then 50 5 times.  Also 5th time in 7 games Tufts has held the opposistion below 40 and on the season that has happened an extroidinary 9 times.  I know Amherst has NEVER lost a game in LeFrak under Gromacki (last time that happened was February 10, 2007 vs. trinity), but really, this Tufts team they play on Saturday could come in as one of the best defensive units Amherst has had to go up against @ LeFrak in quite some time, and Amherst has had some struggles on offense this season (43.5 points in 2 games to Wesleyan being the most notable).  Should be a great one, wish this was Friday instead, I could care less about Bates since I've already seen them twice this year

sumfun

I think the Amherst/Tufts game will be a defensive battle. I don't believe Berube has beaten Gromacki yet, so the team that gets the hot shooting hand will probably pull off the win.  Tufts came close at Bowdoin in a NESCAC semi final, but Amherst won on a last second shot.  Amherst's last loss at home was to Bowdoin which was the reason that Bowdoin hosted the NESCAC tourney that year where Amherst beat Tufts I the semis, but lost to Bowdoin in the finals.  I don't believe that Trinity has beaten Gromacki either.

Roundball999

Quote from: 7express on January 30, 2013, 01:15:04 AM
Some very impressive numbers from Carla Berube and the Jumbo's this year as I was looking at their results doing the Tufts/RIC recap on the LEC board.
9 straight opponents held to 50 points or less, and in 21 games Tufts has only allowed more then 50 5 times.  Also 5th time in 7 games Tufts has held the opposistion below 40 and on the season that has happened an extroidinary 9 times.  I know Amherst has NEVER lost a game in LeFrak under Gromacki (last time that happened was February 10, 2007 vs. trinity), but really, this Tufts team they play on Saturday could come in as one of the best defensive units Amherst has had to go up against @ LeFrak in quite some time, and Amherst has had some struggles on offense this season (43.5 points in 2 games to Wesleyan being the most notable).  Should be a great one, wish this was Friday instead, I could care less about Bates since I've already seen them twice this year

I'm struck by the similarity in stats between Tufts and Hope.  They are 1,2 nationally for scoring defense, neck and neck in the national rankings, and like the Jumbos Hope has only given up 50 points or more 4 times and have held 9 opponents to less than 40.  Would be really fun to watch that defensive battle if the two ever met in the tournament.  The biggest difference is that Hope scores about 8 more ppg, probably due to a bit higher rebounding and turnover margins.

7express

Quote from: sumfun on January 30, 2013, 10:53:10 AM
I think the Amherst/Tufts game will be a defensive battle. I don't believe Berube has beaten Gromacki yet, so the team that gets the hot shooting hand will probably pull off the win.  Tufts came close at Bowdoin in a NESCAC semi final, but Amherst won on a last second shot.  Amherst's last loss at home was to Bowdoin which was the reason that Bowdoin hosted the NESCAC tourney that year where Amherst beat Tufts I the semis, but lost to Bowdoin in the finals.  I don't believe that Trinity has beaten Gromacki either.

That 2007 loss to Trinity was with Lynn Hersey at the helm.

joe8579

Amherst's last loss at home was 1/30/2009 to Bowdoin, who ended up winning the NESCAC championship on their own floor by beating Amherst again.

Maine 1

Saturday's Amherst-Tufts game should be very enjoyable.  Two very similiar teams.  Both play great defense, neither team has a true "star", both have some height, and both have great Coaches.  It should be a very close, defensive game, and fun to watch.  Hopefully both teams will play well, and I suspect that we will see them play at least one more time for the league championship, and this game will likely decide where that next game will be played.