MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Believe River Falls just earned its first lead of either OT on a FT by Buckley....  After a layup by Pearson the Falcons hold an 88-85 lead with under 1:00 remaining in double OT.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

River Falls with the 94-92 victory...

With River Falls having four different players go 42+ minutes tonight, it will be interesting to see how they bounce back with the quick turnaround tomorrow against Wartburg.

Game effort from Bethel, as all five starters score in double figures, while each playing 40+ minutes....  Depth obviously an issue, as they get just three points from their reserves on the evening.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

cubs

WIAC goes 2-1 on the evening, however they could have just as well went 3-0, 1-2, or 0-3 with how each game played out!!!

lmitzel

Glad I caught the end of that one. Fantastic finish.

Underrated part was Bethel missing both of the flagrant free throws in the first overtime that could've pushed their lead to 6. Great job by the Falcons to take advantage.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on March 03, 2017, 11:20:32 PM

Underrated part was Bethel missing both of the flagrant free throws in the first overtime that could've pushed their lead to 6. Great job by the Falcons to take advantage.

Not only did the Royals miss both of the flagrant FTs, they turned the ball over on the ensuing possession. That's basically a two-possession swing in one.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2017, 11:47:35 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on March 03, 2017, 11:20:32 PM

Not only did the Royals miss both of the flagrant FTs, they turned the ball over on the ensuing possession. That's basically a two-possession swing in one.

And then a TO the following possession as well. So 2 TO that led to pretty much 2 wide open layups and 2 missed FT for the Royals. Coupled with the fact they didn't get a shot up at the end of OT when they had the ball with the shot clock off.

Not related to this topic or WIAC... but UST did basically the same thing with a pretty decent lead under 1 minute. MIAC choked away two wins today  >:(

fredfalcon

Bethel represented the MIAC extremely well tonite. It took heroics by Herink to get the Falcon win. Pearson hit 5 threes in the first half to give RF a 10 point half time lead. Herink's 15/16 f.t., including at least the last 8 in a row, and Erickson's 6 steals were key factors in overcoming better shooting by the Royals. Herink had 11 rbds. to go with his 32 pts. Pearson finished with 29, Buckley w/16. Only 10 turnovers in a double o.t. game is impressive for RF.

I saw only one quarter of the Benedictine game but was surprised with the ineptitude of Benedictine. It was apparent after one quarter that Wartburg was the better team tonite. B. looked uninspired and slow.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2017, 10:46:55 PM
Wow. Herink hits two free throws with no time left on the clock -- in fact, the backboard light was on while he was shooting -- to send Bethel @ UWRF into overtime.

Before every game I find an opposing coach and tell him that if this happens I will put .1 second on the clock to turn the light off for the free throw. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Gregory Sager

That's the right thing to do, BW, because the lighted backboard is an unfair and unnecessary distraction for the shooter. But you'd probably better clear that adjustment with the officials first. ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on March 03, 2017, 10:43:18 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 03, 2017, 10:36:29 PM
That was a heck of a finish. If I'm UWW, I'm feeling more relief than elation, because when you look at those two teams you wonder how the heck the Warhawks had to come back to win in the final minute after trailing for most of the game.

Great performances by Sprenger and Rongstad in this one. They were trading baskets like Sly Stallone and Carl Weathers trading blows in a Rocky movie.

Of course, if UWW goes on a nice run from here in the tourney, I doubt that many will remember that the Warhawks were almost upset on their home floor by a distinctly less talented team in the opening round.
Thanks?

No offense intended. It's not at all as though Northwestern is mediocre, but the Eagles had, player for player, a pronounced disadvantage against UWW in terms of ability. The fact that the Eagles came this close to playing David to UWW's Goliath should be a source of pride to you and all other Northwestern supporters.

Greek Tragedy

No offense to any other team in the nation, but Whitewater may have an advantage over anyone when it comes to ability, athleticism, talent etc. But like ShineTime said, sometimes they just get bored it takes more than just talent and athleticism to win games. Northwestern isn't overlooked, especially after what they did last year to St. Norbert Thomas.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

badgerwarhawk

Northwestern was a decent team.  They shot 54.8% from the floor.  Some of it can be attributed to our defense which at times left a lot to be desired but the fact is their offensive discipline caught us out of position more than once and they simply hit shots.  I haven't researched it but someone mentioned the starters were seniors.  Plus Sprenger was insane.  He went 14 of 24 for 31 from the floor and led his team with 5 assists.  Fortunately for us they weren't quite as effective as they have been this season from beyond the arc (5-17) and we hit almost 50% of ours (10-21). 

Nothing against Augustana but I was hoping St Thomas would win.  I just liked the match ups better.  Augustanta traveled well and I'd expect even more tonight.

fredfalcon

One very heads-up play by Erickson deserves mention: he lost the ball and the Bethel player was on his way to a lay-up. Erickson chased him down, grabbed his jersey, and was called for a flagrant foul. The Bethel player missed both free throws and on the ensuing inbounds by Bethel, the Royals failed to score. That play alone saved defeat.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 04, 2017, 11:05:12 AM
That's the right thing to do, BW, because the lighted backboard is an unfair and unnecessary distraction for the shooter. But you'd probably better clear that adjustment with the officials first. ;)

A different person speaks to the officials and I know that he also mentions it.  It's never been an issue with any officials which leads me to believe that there isn't anything in the rules one way or the other. 

I do it because I think it's unfair.  At no other point in the game does anyone have to shoot with the lights on so why should someone have to simply because they were fouled as time expired.