MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

If one is truly wonderful, there is no need for flaunting.

amh63

Hoyas74....as always you are a step ahead...of me...in making the point that the conference has shown its strength on the national level...again.  Plus K for your alertness :)
Actually the article found on the conference website indicate that ALL conference members placed well.  Go Nescac!

TheHERST...YOU also trump me in pointing out UW-WW impressive National Titles in Football, Basketball...men's, though they did very well in women's BB...and Baseball...the traditional big FALL, Winter and Spring sports...men's sports for clarity, IMO.  plus K to you too!.  It should be noted here that the point total for Whitewater was its highest ever.  It got points in football and bowling...two sports that our conference cannot ever expect to garner points.  Take that back...maybe Williams which will have the best Sports facilities in the conference soon...will build a bowling complex and add varsity level teams.  Caution here...more spreading of sport tips...away from football and basketball.

On a more personal note...TheHerst2and4...was scanning the Amherst website for past videos and came up on an old one of the 2007 title game.  Your name came up on the audio play by play.  brought back memories.  say hello to your father

Frank U...in spite of your brevity...this board has now reached 1202 pages!  Goodness Graces..we can talk!...and chat about anything...must be the classic education...though I never took Latin. :'(

middhoops

UW-Whitewater winning football, basketball and baseball in the same year is beyond crazy.  No stat man here, but what are the odds?

frank uible

Dorothy Parker said that "brevity is the soul of lingerie".

nescac1

Very impressive year for Williams athletics.  Lots of near misses, most notably the hoops heartbreaker, but the sheer number of top three finishes (men's basketball, men's soccer, women's cross country, women's golf, women's tennis, women's crew) is incredible.  Incredible year for Wisconsin-Whitewater as well, sweeping the highest-profile most hotly contested sports.  But the Director's Cup measures breadth AND depth of success, and Williams clearly earned it this year with its performance across-the-board.  In fact, the margin of victory doesn't really reflect just how successful the Eph program was this season, because so many of the women's sports team points didn't even count -- Williams had too many teams make the postseason (only 9 from each gender count, and Williams had an incredible THIRTEEN women's teams make the NCAAs).  I'll note also that Wisconsin-Whitewater has well over 10,000 undergrads enrolled, about the same as Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Midd and Trinity combined! 

Amh63, I wish I could agree that Williams will have the best athletic facilities in NESCAC, but the Ephs aren't even close.  Williams will have the best outdoor track and football facility starting this fall.  But other than the pool, squash facility, and main basketball arena, the indoor facilities (especially the field house, but also the locker rooms, weight rooms, etc.) are subpar when compared to many other NESCAC schools (like Midd) that have spectacular new facilties.  Chandler / Lasell / Towne Field House and the hockey arena are really overdue for a comprehensive makeover, and I'd bet that will happen within the next decade, now that football has FINALLY been addressed.  But right now, the Ephs are actually handicapped by their indoor facilities, just as they had been until this coming fall by their outdoor football/track facilities.  Crazy that with a 2 billion dollar endowment and hundreds of millions poured into campus facilities, it's gone unaddressed for so long ...

frank uible

200 pounds of weight weigh the same, whether they reside in a dingy dungeon or in a chrome and crystal palace.

nescac1

Well, this may not apply at all, or at least not NEARLY to the same degree, in NESCAC as it does at higher levels, but if you want to attract 200 pounds of weight that can run fast, jump high, and juke out defenders, it sure helps to have a crystal palace.  It ain't for nothing that D1 programs spend hundreds of millions on football facilties ...

amh63

See more pages ahead! :)

Seems the chat between Frank U and Nescac 1 appears to me to be a chicken and egg sort of discussion.  Does new facilities attract talent...or does talent bring on new facilities....sort of the the Johnny Football situation at Texas A & M...using a Div 1 example here ...which is really all about money, IMO. 
Know this should be on the football board...but...read in the WSJ today about the insane salaries in Div. 1 football...in the SEC...at Alabama.  Recall awhile back when football coaches could not exceed the Prez's salaries in the Big Ten.  Times change and inflation and any sense of reality in college football is NOW.
Anyway, it seems there is a new assistant coach hired in "Roll Tide" land...hired for over 650 thousand dollars!   Yet, as the story goes, the assistant...a high profile one..from the NFL...is only the 4th highest paid coach in the program...the HFC getting over 6 Big ones....that's millions!
Amherst's Prez was paid less than the cited assist coach when she was the Prez of the Flag Ship school...Un. Of Wisconsin at Madison over Four years ago.  Her salary then exceeded the Man in charge of ALL the Wisconsin public universities....her boss.  I digress.
Leave how success in high profile sports helps launch Capital Campaigns at Harvard and Wesleyan recently....for another day...nah...little interest here.

nescac1

Any word on weather Matt Hart landed at Hartford, Niagara, or elsewhere?? 

I think in terms of NESCAC offseasons this year, it's pretty clear that Amherst is the big winner with the two D1 transfers plus three solid perimeter recruits, and that Hamilton is the big loser just because of Hart leaving the program (doesn't really matter who they bring in, they are almost sure to drop precipitously next year in light of the anticipated major improvement of all the teams behind them in the standings save for Conn College).

Other big winners: Tufts, with Palleschi coming back, and with some nice perimeter recruits coming in, and Conn College, reloading with a very talented eight-man recruiting class (although given the firepower Conn lost from what was already a pretty bad team, it's going to be awhile before that class can elevate the program). 

Middlebury and Williams seem to keep plugging right along with solid recruiting classes, albeit nothing like the major impact classes each brought in last season, and of course a lot of talent returning for each.  Each brought in at least one guy who should help right away.  Williams, despite losing two stars, should still be a top-10 caliber team again next season, and I'm confident that Midd will have a big bounce-back year, so long as Sinnickson plays the entire season and they don't schedule another murderer's row to open the season. 

The Maine schools and Trinity all seem to have had very quiet offseasons.  Unless there are a few guys coming in who haven't been mentioned for either, that is two straight years in which neither Bowdoin nor Colby has brought in an obvious instant-impact recruit.  Colby in particular seemed to be on the upswing with its fantastic rising Junior class, but those guys will need some help if Colby hopes to break into the top three in NESCAC.  Bowdoin has been bringing in very small recruiting classes the last few years and its roster could be perilously thin next season behind what looks to be the best rising group of Seniors (narrowly edging out Williams) in NESCAC.   Bowdoin should be pretty good next year behind that veteran core, but once Swords/Hurley/Pieri graduate, the Polar Bears could be in deep trouble, as Lucas Hausman is the only non-senior with any star power on the returning roster.

Given that Trinity loses no one to graduation, the Bantams probably didn't have room for a lot of recruits in any event. 

frank uible

DI Athletics and NESCAC Athletics are not of the same species. NESCAC athletes can beneficially learn solely from the act of attempting to gain, maintain and practice their skills in non-superficial facilities - the addition of the superficial brings nothing to the learning process and may detract.

nescac1

Frank, you may be right, but the same logic applies to all areas of life in NESCAC schools -- you don't need a new library to read a book.  You don't need a nice dorm, or a new student center, or beautifully manicured lawns to learn effectively.  All of these are superficialities.  Yet, if you want to attract the brightest students, you have to compete with your peers in that regard, and if you want to attract the best student-athletes, you likely need to compete for their attention in much the same way.  That is just the nature of the beast. 

Also, Williams' track facility was in such poor shape that it was posing an injury risk and the school couldn't even host national events anymore.  So at some level, it does become more difficult to maintain and practice skills.  Look what happened this past fall to basketball, when their practice schedule was thrown off, and they even had to shift a home game to a neutral court, due to insufficient facilities.  That really should not happen to one of the top five D3 basketball programs in the country. 

magicman

Quote from: middhoops on June 04, 2014, 05:02:00 PM
UW-Whitewater winning football, basketball and baseball in the same year is beyond crazy.  No stat man here, but what are the odds?

1035 to 1. That's my best guess. But if someone said I was wrong I probably wouldn't argue.

frank uible

It is not clear where a line between superficial and substantive exactly lies, but the concept holds, and from time to time there will exist cases where decisions, however flawed, need to be made.

grabtherim

Once again this guy says more with more, in fact too much more.  How pompous can you be?  What's next,  some latin for "I think this guy has a good jumpshot."  Better yet, look this one up: tu es asinus

Panthernation

Matt Hart transferring to George Washington: https://twitter.com/Matt_Hart30/status/474719309118599168

Also, former Middlebury assistant Alex Popp, a year removed from taking over as Director of Basketball Operations at Holy Cross, has accepted the head coaching position at Vermont Academy: https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/474227686689091584