MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on January 06, 2007, 07:21:34 PM
After a couple down years, it would appear the OAC is re-establishing itself as the best league in the Great Lakes Region.
When were the down years?  Even if you consider the last couple of years down years, it would still be tough to argue another conference in the GL Region as being tougher top to bottom than the OAC. 

Quote from: pennstghs on January 07, 2007, 10:14:22 PM
sac-what two NCAC teams are in the top 10 again?
what OAC team made the final four last year?
This isn't really a valid argument either.  Bball23 puts it in perspective with the overall record of the OAC vs. the NCAC and that includes ONU going 2-0 vs. Witt and Woo and the Ploar Bears aren't even in 1st place in the OAC anymore. :o

sac

Statistically speaking the MIAA was the top rated conference in the Great Lakes for the last 3 years.  OAC #2  NCAC #3.  Non-conf wins and L's included.

The OAC has been a little off its game the last couple years, that seems to be changing this year.

pennstghs

i guess we'll ahve to wait for the NCAA tournament to settle this little argument
WE ARE.................PENN STATE!
"Let's GO WITT"

sac

Not so much an argument as an observation......and opinion.

Toph

Quote from: pennstghs on January 09, 2007, 05:41:33 PM
i guess we'll ahve to wait for the NCAA tournament to settle this little argument

I don't think that will settle it.  Yes, two teams from the NCAC are going to get in (barring injury or Van de Veldian collapse), and those two teams probably will have some success, but that doesn't make the NCAC a better conference than the OAC.  The only thing that would truly "settle" it, I suppose was to match each team up and have them play...but I think even the biggest fan of the NCAC knows that that would most likely end in a very lopsided OAC victory...after all Wittenberg and Wooster can only win so many games.

sac

+K for the Jean Van De Velde reference. 8)

David Collinge

Quote from: Toph on January 10, 2007, 02:15:54 PM
Quote from: pennstghs on January 09, 2007, 05:41:33 PM

I don't think that will settle it.  Yes, two teams from the NCAC are going to get in (barring injury or Van de Veldian collapse), and those two teams probably will have some success, but that doesn't make the NCAC a better conference than the OAC.  The only thing that would truly "settle" it, I suppose was to match each team up and have them play...but I think even the biggest fan of the NCAC knows that that would most likely end in a very lopsided OAC victory...after all Wittenberg and Wooster can only win so many games.

...and Ohio Northern beat them both this year.

Any way you slice it, the OAC is the better league.  They're deeper and more competitive than the NCAC by all accounts.  The top of the NCAC is often as good or better than the top of the OAC, but ONU has at least put that into question this year.  Furthermore, the OAC has been every bit as successful as the NCAC in the NCAA tournament in recent years.  Witt finished 2nd last year, and Wooster 3rd in 2003, but Otterbein won the 2002 title, and JCU finished 3rd in 2005...beating both Wooster and Wittenberg along the way.

Toph

Quotebeating both Wooster and Wittenberg along the way

*cough* AT Wittenberg (2 years in a row) and AT Wooster I might add *cough*.  Sorry, something in my throat.  Carry on.

David Collinge

Sorry if this NCAC fan didn't praise the OAC loudly enough to suit you, Toph.   ::)

Toph

We could talk about JCU's bad season last year or the fact that Wittenberg won the national championship only to lose it in the final seconds if that suits you better.   ;)

baldbear

Final from Wilmington - Polar Bears 63   Quakers 62

wooscotsfan

All the 1/10 OAC Final Scores:

Ohio Northern 63  Wilmington 62
Mount Union 84  Capital 74 (Cap is upset at home)
Otterbein 83  Baldwin-Wallace 74 (B-W is upset at home)
Heidelberg 84  John Carroll 80
Marietta 63  Musky 51

Now have a 4 way tie for first place with ONU, Cap, B-W and the Berg all at 5-2 in OAC play.

kiltedbryan

Whew, glad we do a pick-em for the NCAC...this league would drive me up a wall!  :D

David Collinge

Oh, come on, scotsbrod, EVERYONE knew that Heidelberg was the team to beat in the OAC this season!  ;) :D :o :)

kiltedbryan

Quote from: David Collinge on January 10, 2007, 11:13:17 PM
Oh, come on, scotsbrod, EVERYONE knew that Heidelberg was the team to beat in the OAC this season!  ;) :D :o :)

I must have missed that memo.   ::)

:)