MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

Quote from: Toph on January 26, 2007, 09:15:24 AM
If only they had been paying attention to head coach Geno "Mr. Basketball '93" Ford (who I liked as a player and assistant, but won't judge as a head coach yet) who turned to one of his assistants and said "It was a charge."
Great point.  I have been watching Coach Moore's reactions to questionable calls and it's quite telling.  It's funny to watch the player's reactions after a call goes against them and their immediate denial.  Then they look to the bench for support and it's not there and the protest stops.  Coach Moore will let it be known when he thinks the refs make a bad call, but if he feels they made the right call, even if his player doesn't agree, he backs the officials and usually the player follows suit.

wooscotsfan

All the OAC 1/27 Final Scores:

Capital 89  John Carroll 82 (First place team loses again)
Ohio Northern 83  Baldwin-Wallace 74
Heidelberg 75  Mount Union 62
Otterbein 80  Muskingum 79
Wilmington 67  Marietta 64

So, another 4 way tie for 1st Place... :)

CAP, Heide, JCU and ONU are all 8-4
B-W, OTT and Wilm are all 7-5
Mount and Musky are both 3-9
Marietta is 1-11

sac

I really can't believe we don't have more posters from this conference. :-\

wooscotsfan

Quote from: sac on January 27, 2007, 08:23:58 PM
I really can't believe we don't have more posters from this conference. :-\

I will second that sentiment since about half the posts on this board are from NCAC or MIAA fans!  :o 

onefan

I am aware of quite a few fans that read the posts but have not bothered or are just not interested in posting their viewpoints online....To each his own....but I am also mystified as to why there are not more posts from OAC fans. Along that same line of thinking, I recently had a discussion with a Capital fan concerning what we consider to be less than stellar fan support in the OAC in general. I attended the ONU/Heidelberg game Wednesday night in Ada and would estimate there were less than 700 people there for a game against what was then a co-.'. conference leader. ONU has over 3500 students and I believe of the seven hundred less than 150 were students...Pretty sad considering ONU has been hanging in or near the top ten all season.  What is the fan support like in the other DIII conferences? Anyone know?

sac

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/attendance/2006_basketball_attend.pdf

its a pdf file so you'll need adobe.

The OAC is listed 5th in conference attendance.  Otterbein leads the way for the OAC.

onefan

Toph

I hate to put this out there but I'm wary of Otterbein's attendance numbers.  I have been to games at Otterbein that couldn't have had more than 600-700 people in attendance and the official attendance on the boxscore would be near capacity.

onefan

Interesting observation....I am somewhat surprised that the Cardinals lead the OAC in attendance. I have been to numerous games at Otterbein over the years and I certainly haven't noticed increased attendance there over other venues. I guess somebody has to be first attendance wise but I wouldn't have guessed them.

David Collinge

However, my very limited experience tells me that Muskingum at #2 in the conference is believable.  I've been to three or four games there this season, and the crowds have generally been good.  The JCU game was about 3/4 full, which I wasn't expecting, and they were vocal.  Not bad for a lower-division team. 

onefan

I assume the attendance figures are the reponsibility of the host school and as such are really not that reliable if someone was inclined to inflate them for some reason???

Toph

Quote from: onefan on January 28, 2007, 10:54:20 PM
I assume the attendance figures are the reponsibility of the host school and as such are really not that reliable if someone was inclined to inflate them for some reason???

Attendance figures are the responsibility of the host school and are sometimes simply estimates.

whoknows

Yes they are for the most part estimates at every school. But one thing you have to look at is the size of the gym. A small crowd at Ott would be a big crowd at muskie just because muskie probably only seats about 1800 where Ott seats about 3000. That is like compairing the seating capacity of woosters gym too that of hiram. A large crowd there at Hiram would be a pathetic crowd at Wooster. Its all the prospective of the gym.

whoknows

You also have to look at the location of a school too. Westerville a Columbus suburb has a lot larger fan base then say ONU and Ada.

Toph

I think you might want to reread what I wrote.  I've been to Otterbein several times.  Most of the time there weren't more than 600-700 people at the gym, but the listed attendance would be nearly 2000.  It has nothing to do with perspective based on gym size or the fact that Westerville is a Columbus suburb.  The numbers just don't add up.