So the league looks like this:

Capital (13-1)
Heidelberg (10-4)
Ohio Northern (9-5)
Wilmington (9-5)
John Carroll (7-7)
Muskingum (7-8)

Dynex

Just took a look at the all Decade team....

Jeff Gibbs on second team.. great honor for him, would have hated to see how good the other guy was.

Tori Davis on honorable mention ? Seriously? Not meant to be a knock on Tori but I think I could name at least 25 players in the OAC that have been better than him in the last decade let alone in all of D3. tori was a good player and a great person but i think thats a stretch.

Also - checked out the OAC website and  noticed Otterbein has 5 wins and 3 Players of the week. found that interesting. While, Cap, WILM, and JCU only have one each. ONU and HEID with two each. How is this determined and why would Otterbein have almost as many players of the week as they do wins?

anyone want to talk POY with two weeks left to play in the regular season?
Im looking out there and notice that I think Cap has the two best guards in the league in Ryan Wood and Nate Stahl, both of whom have been sick or injured lately, but they dont have anyone in the top of the individual stats. Does this hurt them for postseason awards? Also I think you have to consider Terry Walsh, Kyle Brown, and even one of the Heid guys such as Lemon, Szalay, or Schimdt.

Pat Coleman

Were they consistently better than he was for four years? It's an entire-career award.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dynex

I mean i wasnt trying to disrepect his career or anything but the  likes of Jim Conrad, Shawn McCormick, Geron Tate, Bryan Nelson, Jeremy Thompson, even Jesse Duperow. I mean i think the list could go on of players who (in my opinion) had better careers. I just dont think hes one of the top 20 players in the last 10 years across the country, when he wasnt the best in his league...

None the less, great honor for Tori.

sac

According to the oac.org website,

Tori Davis was a four time all-OAC player, including 3 time first team player,  League player of the year in 2006 and 2007. 

Finished 7th all-time in league scoring, and 5th in rebounding and the all-time leading shot blocker for BW.

None of the players you listed are ahead of him in either career scoring or rebounding (not even Gibbs)

http://www.oac.org/documents/MBB2007-08MANUAL.pdf

not sure why but Davis doesn't show up on the all-time leading rebounder list, but it says he was #5 from this release........

http://www.oac.org/documents/2007MBBAll-OAC.pdf

Pat Coleman

Right -- he was the best in his league, twice in fact. I can see Dynex disagrees but I kinda like the collective opinion of the coaches in this regard.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dynex

Duly noted fellas.

He had better CAREER numbers than I thought and I guess I didnt realize he was two time player of the year.
I thought that was his brother who got it one year and he got it the other.  I saw him play a few times and i didnt see that he was as good as some of those guys mentioned, but numbers dont lie. But hey, thats what this board is for right Pat? Honest mistake dont hold it against me  ;D

kiltedbryan

Scores from 2/13:

Capital 80
Mount Union 68

Heidelberg  82
John Carroll 74

Baldwin-Wallace 84
Otterbein 94

Marietta  70
Muskingum 76

Wilmington 80
Ohio Northern 79

So, Capital (14-1) clinches at least a share of the OAC regular season title, up 3 with 3 to play, and winning at least one of its last three seems highly probable...though not totally a gimmie.
Heidelberg (11-4) keeps pace and moves closer to clinching the second seed, as Ohio Northern's loss puts the 'Berg two games in the clear.
Huge win (on a late 3-pointer) for Wilmington (9-6), who earned a split with ONU (9-6) and by virtue of wins over Capital and Heidelberg, holds the "best win" tiebreaker on anyone in the league. ONU also has to face Cap Saturday. Advantage Quakers for seed #3.

kiltedbryan

I'm going to try to look at the bottom half of the OAC bracket when I get a chance...just not staying up/able to think it through tonight.  Otterbein is 3-3 in its last 6 OAC games to pull into a three-way tie with Baldwin-Wallace and Mount Union at 5-10 in the league.  One of those three teams will end up sitting the OAC tournament out.

Also, JCU needs to find a way to right the ship- the Streaks' current streak is decidedly "Blue." Four straight losses in two weeks, to fall from 7-4 to 7-8.  Marietta looms- there's probably no better way to stop the bleeding.

ScotsFan

Quote from: kiltedbryan on February 14, 2008, 12:19:49 AM
Marietta looms- there's probably no better way to stop the bleeding.
I wouldn't bet the house on it as 'Etta came closer than expected to beating Musky last night... ;)

JK

Capital wrapped up the OAC Regular Season title this past weekend and the #1 seed in the OAC tourney that goes with it by beating ONU.  The big game against the Berg this week now loses some of its luster, but I think Cap will still look at it as a bit of a "statement game" going into the tourney and try to put the rest of the OAC "on notice" as to how far ahead they are from everyone else if they can handily beat the Student Princes.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Goodwin keeps his guys up over the next few games since they now don't have a lot of meaning.  They'll really have to guard against getting complacent, as there won't be a lot of margin for error if they lose in the OAC tourney and have to vie for an at-large in the NCAA's.  I think the team is mature enough, however, to realize this, and I certainly don't expect them to let their proverbial "guard down."

But, the road now goes through Bexley.  Which is, I think, a good thing.

Didn't check the standings before I posted, so what do the potential OAC tourney matchups look like?

kiltedbryan

Quote from: JK on February 18, 2008, 11:44:19 AM
Capital wrapped up the OAC Regular Season title this past weekend and the #1 seed in the OAC tourney that goes with it by beating ONU.  The big game against the Berg this week now loses some of its luster, but I think Cap will still look at it as a bit of a "statement game" going into the tourney and try to put the rest of the OAC "on notice" as to how far ahead they are from everyone else if they can handily beat the Student Princes.

Didn't check the standings before I posted, so what to the potential OAC tourney matchups look like?

I think 'Berg might think of this as a "statement game," too.  I expect that 'Berg isn't happy about how Capital manhandled them in the first meeting.  Should be a nice matchup.

I'm also interested in pairings...I'll take a look when I get a chance.

JK

So, the OAC standings look like this currently (I've left 10th place 'Etta off the list, as they are eliminated from the tourney already):

Rank, Name, OAC W, OAC L, Overall W, Overall L
1. Capital          15       1             20           3 
2. Heidelberg    12       4             18           5 
3. Wilmington    10       6             15           8 
4. Ohio Northern 9       7             13           10 
5. John Carroll     8       8             11           11 
5. Muskingum      8       8             14           9 
7. BW                  6       10              9          14 
8. Mount Union    5       11              9         14 
8. Otterbein         5       11             6          17

I am ashamed to say that I don't know enough about my own conference to know the tiebreakers, so I listed the tie for 8th between MUC and OTT.  If the TB is overall record as I assume, then MUC is in and the Otters are out (no tears from me for that  ;) ) and that Musky would get the 5 over JCU?!?  I didn't take the time to research head to head, etc. for other TB's, which would also impact seedings.

So that would give us:
#8 MUC at #1 Cap (sound familiar football fans?!?  Only this time Cap is the favorite  ;D)
#7 B-dub would go to Tiffin to play the #2 Berg
#6 JCU would be at #3 Wilma
#5 Musky would head to Ada to play #4 ONU

Looking back through the season, I would think that the Streaks at the Quakers would be the best game of the first round, as both could be considered "dark horse" picks in the tourney (JCU much more than Wilma, but even as the 3 seed Wilma is 5 back of Cap, so...) and could make some noise if they got hot.  JCU does have lots of postseason experience from recent years. 

Of course the 4-5 game is always a toss up, and I had recently seen some posts re: ONU, and thought they might be my darkhorse for the tourney, but Cap seemingly handled them pretty well Saturday, so unless they improve bunches over the next week, I'm not sure about them.  I'm really not sure about the Fishes from New Concord.  They look a bit on again- off again.

Those of you like kiltedbrian, Scots Fan, etc. who have seen most or all of these teams, what do you think of these matchups as they currently stand?   

David Collinge

Quote from: JK on February 18, 2008, 12:53:14 PM
Those of you like kiltedbrian, Scots Fan, etc. who have seen most or all of these teams, what do you think of these matchups as they currently stand?   

Anything goes in the OAC tournament, and I see no reason to suspect that this year will be any different. 
*I assume that Cap would handle MUC with no difficulty, but if their opponent should turn out to be Ott, there's a rivalry factor that comes into play, plus the fact that Ott can get streaky-hot and make any game interesting. 
*Muskingum is tough to beat at home, where they are 5-3 with losses to Cap (by 4), JCU (7), and Ott (4 in OT), but they haven't won a road conference game since Jan. 9 at Etta.  As much as I'd like to see them get a home game (solely for my own convenience), it looks like they'd have to beat 'Berg and win at ONU this week to do it (JCU swept Musky and so holds the tie-break between them.) 
*I don't know what to think about ONU.  I only saw them once this year (at Musky) and was unimpressed.  They had a home tournament game last year, vs. Ott, which I went to see, and was amazed at how blase they were.  They didn't play with any great fire, and didn't seem responsive to the crowd, and when they had lost, they left the court as if it was just another game and not the last game of the season.  Based only on that, I'd say the team that heads to Ada has a good chance of winning, especially if that team is JCU.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: JK on February 18, 2008, 12:53:14 PM
So, the OAC standings look like this currently (I've left 10th place 'Etta off the list, as they are eliminated from the tourney already):

Rank, Name, OAC W, OAC L, Overall W, Overall L
1. Capital          15       1             20           3 
2. Heidelberg    12       4             18           5 
3. Wilmington    10       6             15           8 
4. Ohio Northern 9       7             13           10 
5. John Carroll     8       8             11           11 
5. Muskingum      8       8             14           9 
7. BW                  6       10              9          14 
8. Mount Union    5       11              9         14 
8. Otterbein         5       11             6          17

I am ashamed to say that I don't know enough about my own conference to know the tiebreakers, so I listed the tie for 8th between MUC and OTT.  If the TB is overall record as I assume, then MUC is in and the Otters are out (no tears from me for that  ;) ) and that Musky would get the 5 over JCU?!?  I didn't take the time to research head to head, etc. for other TB's, which would also impact seedings.

Don't be ashamed.  I've tried to find the tie-breaker information on the OAC conference website several times, to no avail.  However, from last year I remember discussion about tiebreakers, and I am relatively certain that after head-to-head, the tiebreaker goes to the team with the "best win" in OAC play.

Currently, that means Mount is in, Otterbein is out, based on Mount's win over current #3 seed Wilmington.  Ott's best win appears to be over current #6 Muskingum. Otterbein plays at Wilmington Wednesday, so a win there could mean that we'll have to learn even more about tie-breaker scenarios.  :)

JCU currently holds the #5 seed because of the season sweep of Musky (as David notes.)

It's still possible, though somewhat improbable, with the remaining schedules, for Wilmington, ONU, JCU and Muskingum to all end up in a four-way tie at 10-8.  That would be fun.  ::)

One more win for 'Berg locks up the #2 seed and the same goes for Wilmington and the #3 seed (Wilmington/ONU split; Quakers have the best win tiebreaker).