MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

privacy

Looks like a battle of columbus is a strong chance.

JK

Quote from: privacy on February 29, 2008, 04:20:57 PM
Looks like a battle of columbus is a strong chance.

Huh?  The two teams in the Columbus area from the OAC are Capital and Otterbein.  Cap is the #1 seed and OTT didn't make the OAC tourney.

The other Columbus area schools with D3 athletics are Ohio Wesleyan and Denison (both NCAC teams), and it is a stretch to call them "Columbus area" as OWU in Delaware and Denison in Granville are both 20+ miles outside the metro.

ChicagoHopeNut

Is it me or were there more ONU fans at Capital tonight than Capital fans? That's the impression watching the live feed seems to give me.

Maybe not more but it seems pretty close to even at least.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: DCHopeNut on February 29, 2008, 09:35:49 PM
Is it me or were there more ONU fans at Capital tonight than Capital fans? That's the impression watching the live feed seems to give me.

Most video feed I've seen have the camera on the home side - i.e., pointed towards the visitors' side.  Or were you basing that on the audio?

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 29, 2008, 09:44:11 PM

Most video feed I've seen have the camera on the home side - i.e., pointed towards the visitors' side.  Or were you basing that on the audio?

The audio. The cheers for ONU seem just as loud usually as the cheers for Capital to me. But that could be because of where the microphones are located.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

OC_SID

Could be that Capital was on Spring Break this week, so not a lot of students were on campus.

JK

Quote from: OC_SID on February 29, 2008, 09:48:36 PM

Could be that Capital was on Spring Break this week, so not a lot of students were on campus.

Our spring break at Cap has always sucked, even when I was there in the early 90's.  Such a weird time so early in the spring break season.  Most of the big spring break parties in places like Daytona, etc don't start for another week or so.

Anyway, big win for the Alma Mater tonight.  Much too close for much comfort, but a W is a W.  Here's hoping for back-to-back OAC titles tomorrow night.

privacy

If heidelberg does not win do anyone think that they will get a bid in with Wooster losing?

JK

Quote from: privacy on March 01, 2008, 08:42:58 AM
If heidelberg does not win do anyone think that they will get a bid in with Wooster losing?

It's a possibility, but I don't know enough about what else is going on around the country to make a real strong prediciton.  You have to remember that pool-C, or "at large bids" are awarded to the strongest teams NATIONWIDE, not just in region.  So Wooster losing is more of an INDIRECT impact on the Berg getting a bid rather than a direct one.

What I do know is that it's historically a crapshoot for a second OAC team to get in.  Cap and JCU both got in last year, but they were regular season Co-champs, not a clear first and second like Cap and H-Berg this year.  There have been several years when a very good second place OAC team was ignored by the selection committee.  A few years ago, the year Otterbein won the National Championship, Capital only lost four games on the season, with three being to Otterbein, they finished 8th in the Nation in the D3hoops.com poll, and they didn't get an at-large.  Of course, there were fewer at-large bids then, but the story just illustrates a point.  The only way you can gurantee a spot in the tourney is to win your way in.  Pat; the owner, operator, and publisher of this site and guru of all things D3; says that all the time.

kiltedbryan

My suspicion is that both OAC finalists will make the tournament.  Capital is a better Pool C lock if 'Berg wins tonight, but unless there's a bit spate of upsets all around, I can't see 'Berg not securing a Pool C bid.

There should still be a Pool C bid out there for my Scots...but we're in wait-and-see mode after getting crushed by Wabash.

Dynex

Congrats to the Berg on their big win tonight. Berg pushed and hustled their way back into the game which is a testiment of their hard work. Some very questionable calls down the stretch and it appeared that the officials werent going to be outshined tonight. Is it me or are the officials in the OAC just plain bad.. both ways.

Andrew Lemon wanted the win, and he willed his team to it. Coach Sheldon has done a tremous job with that program that used to be the laughing stock of tha oac. not anymore they are NCAA bound.

Ryan Wood had 22 or 24 in the second half after not even attempting a shot in the 1st. If he could put 2 halves together he will be an unbelievable player, which he is already one of the top three or four guards in the league along with nate stahl.

My guess is that these two teams will be playing again with more at stake.

Two teams representing the OAC in this years field of 59. congrats to both Cap and HEID for outstanding years.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: JK on March 01, 2008, 10:33:56 AM
Quote from: privacy on March 01, 2008, 08:42:58 AM

It's a possibility, but I don't know enough about what else is going on around the country to make a real strong prediciton.  You have to remember that pool-C, or "at large bids" are awarded to the strongest teams NATIONWIDE, not just in region.  So Wooster losing is more of an INDIRECT impact on the Berg getting a bid rather than a direct one.

What I do know is that it's historically a crapshoot for a second OAC team to get in.  Cap and JCU both got in last year, but they were regular season Co-champs, not a clear first and second like Cap and H-Berg this year.  There have been several years when a very good second place OAC team was ignored by the selection committee.  A few years ago, the year Otterbein won the National Championship, Capital only lost four games on the season, with three being to Otterbein, they finished 8th in the Nation in the D3hoops.com poll, and they didn't get an at-large.  Of course, there were fewer at-large bids then, but the story just illustrates a point.  The only way you can gurantee a spot in the tourney is to win your way in.  Pat; the owner, operator, and publisher of this site and guru of all things D3; says that all the time.

Good news is that there are nearly three times as many Pool C bids as there were then.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

kiltedbryan

Congratulations to the Heidelberg Student Princes for clinching the OAC's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament!

Impressively, Heidelberg closed the season with 8 straight wins, including two wins over Capital, at Capital.

d3hoops team thinks that 'Berg might host on the first weekend....we'll know tomorrow.

NCAC_alum55

Congrats to Coach Sheldon and his staff- they have done a tremendous job over the past several years!! It's always fun to watch a program go through that kind of transformation.

privacy

Congrats to the Berg on there win.....................