BB: CAC: Capital Athletic Conference

Started by bisonpride, January 11, 2006, 04:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The change in the subject heading is to facilitate identifying a message board by sport and by conference.

BisonBaseball

So what is everyone's Pre-Season Rankings for the CAC ?

New teams and new format...

what does everyone think ???

Will York repeat ? Will Gallaudet end the 10 year losing streak ?

VJC Baseball

There is nothing official, but I would think preseason would come up something like this:

Salisbury
York
Mary Washington
Villa Julie
Wesley
St. Mary's
Gallaudet

Gallaudet just changed coaches, Salisbury lost starters at CF Kraus, RF Jenson, 3B Vitale, C Peterson, 2 starting pitchers Brainer, Oleynick, I also heard that  P Cambell transfered, and DH/2B Wessels transfered , but I'm sure they will reload, York lost their #1 on the mound Brower, Young at SS, Bednarzcyk at 3B. UMW lost Sr SS Fitzgerald, P Diamond, 3B Anderson, P Wilkens. Villa Julie lost P #3 Pitcher Sanders, and OF Moran (academics), Wesley, St. Mary's and Gallaudet I'm not as familiar with

BisonBaseball

So now that there are 7 teams in the conference I heard that it was going to a triple round robin, is that true ? Or just 12 games ?

How many teams are needed to get an automatic bid ?

Jim Dixon

VJC Baseball

I do not know who the new coach is at Gallaudet, I got a phone call from the AD about scheduling and he informed me that their current coach is no longer there?

As for the 3 game sets, that is true...we will play 1 game on Wed, and 2 on Saturday (7,9)...that gives us 18 conference games, then the tournament which is double elimination...not entirely sure what we are doing with the 7 seed yet...either play in or 6 teams make it, I'm honestly not sure!

BisonBaseball

I wanted to introduce myself as the new coach at Gallaudet. My name is Matt Lisle. I have been coaching in California for the last 7 years at both the collegiate and high school level. I'm looking forward to the season starting.

I've really enjoyed learning about D3 Baseball from this site and its members.

More to come later....

Ralph Turner

Welcome Coach Lisle.  Thank you for posting.  If there is anything that we can do to help you, please email me.

BisonBaseball

Thanks for the reply.

There is quite a long to do list I have to tackle, but one thing all coaches can help me with is identifying players.

We have such a small pool of players to pull from being that 99% of our students are deaf and hard of hearing. Any coaches that know of HS or JC players that are deaf or hard of hearing, outside of the Deaf High Schools please let me know.

I definitely am looking forward to turning around the program and I honestly believe it can be done.

KiX

I heard the Salisbury just picked up transfer Jordan Crystal from Frostburg State. Hes a hard throwing lefty who strikes otu a lot of batters and threw 70 innings for Frostburg. He also was their leading hitter in 05 batting .383 and was the 10th toughest hitter to strike out in d3. He is comign off injury, but I hear his recovery is in full and he is chomping to get back in. Hes a big threat for the rest of the CAC

NCWC

16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

VJC Baseball

I heard Crystal isn't recovered and is not looking to pitch only hit...FYI

Old Spartan

How is Washington and Lee shaping up for this year?

Old Spartan

NCWC

February 6, 2008

Mary Washington, Salisbury And York Ready To Battle Again For CAC Baseball Crown
Mary Washington, Salisbury and York battled back and forth throughout the 2007 baseball season, and a similar battle could emerge during the 2008 Capital Athletic Conference campaign.
The Eagles (26-12-1) and Spartans (32-14) shared top honors during the regular season, each with 8-2 records, while Salisbury was fourth in the six-team conference with a 5-5 mark. York gained the top seed in the 2007 CAC playoffs, but was knocked out of the tournament in the semifinals by Mary Washington.
Salisbury (33-10), meanwhile, cruised through the winner's bracket of the conference tournament and topped UMW in the championship game for the Sea Gulls' second-straight playoff title and sixth in the last eight years.
SU and YCP went on to compete in the NCAA Division III regional tournament at Ferrum, Va., with the Spartans advancing to the Regional Championship Game.
The 2008 baseball season, which begins this weekend when Salisbury plays at Va. Wesleyan (2/9) and St. Mary's visits Hampden-Sydney (2/10), features two new team in the CAC baseball rotation -- Villa Julie and Wesley. Additionally, the coaches approved an expanded 18-game conference schedule (compared to 10 games in 2007) to include three games against each CAC opponent -- a single mid-week game at one site, then a Saturday twinbill at the other location.
Here is a brief look at each team heading into the 2008 CAC title chase:
Gallaudet outfielder Kevin Alley was one of just three freshman in the CAC to earn a berth on the 2007 all-star squad and figures to be a linchpin for the 2008 Bison. GU will be looking to improve on a 6-26 overall record under first-year coach Matt Lisle.
Mary Washington welcomes back the majority of its pitching staff following last year's 26-12 team that gained victories against eight NCAA Tournament-bound teams. All-CAC and all-region selection Chase Townsend heads a group that will need to contend with the loss of All-CAC picks Eric Fitzgerald, Brett Diamond, and Chris Anderson. Townsend leads a group of returning moundsmen that includes Wes Hayden and Seth Kaas.
Salisbury, the defending CAC champ and NCAA Tournament rep, boasted eight conference all-stars in 2007, half of which return for the 2008 campaign. Senior Ryan Benick was one of three SU hurlers to earn CAC post-season recognition last year and is expected to be the leader of 2007 CAC Coach of the Year Doug Fleetwood's pitching staff this season. Other returning first-team all-stars include senior third baseman Justin Armiger, sophomore first baseman Mike Celenza and second-team senior outfielder Mark Bostwick.
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles