Started by Ommadawn, April 07, 2018, 04:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint of Old

Quote from: CU_GKnight on May 10, 2018, 05:34:41 AM
Quote from: Saint of Old on May 09, 2018, 03:42:54 PM
Quote from: NEsoccerfan on May 08, 2018, 05:34:57 PM
Quote from: Ommadawn on May 08, 2018, 03:42:47 PM
...and Clarkson's new coach announced here:

https://clarksonathletics.com/news/2018/5/7/carter-lincoln-chosen-as-new-head-coach-for-clarkson-mens-soccer.aspx

2015 graduate? Wow. He has got to be one of the, if not the youngest head coach in all of college soccer.

Not looking good for the Golden Knights for the forseeable future.
This could be a great Coach, but to begin the rebuild all over again in a conference that is pretty stromg will be rough.

Clarkson had a good year last season with Seniors recruited by the previous Coach leading the way to their first conference playoff in years.

Good news for the coach is that expectations will not be unrealistic as he begins his career which is really really important.

I can't say I'm too surprised by the choice.  It fits with what Clarkson typically does when hiring coaches.  I think Steinrotter, Hillary, Taylor and now Lincoln were all within a few years of graduation when they got the head job.  I think it is a good opportunity for a young coach and hopefully Carter will be up to the task, but only time will tell.

I would disagree with Saint of Old that the expectations will be low and that this is another rebuild. I know Saint has an affinity for the former coach, but to say this team was "lead by players recruited by the former coach" would be a vast overstatement.  The senior class only had two regular starters and outside of the first weekend, when Calnan scored 4 of his 5 goals on the season, this was a team whose quality came more from the freshman and sophomores than from the seniors.  Freshman and Sophomores accounted for 55 percent of both the minutes played and the scoring.  While the seniors on this past years team are all fine young men, who I am sure will do well in life, they were not a key factor in Clarkson getting to the Playoffs for the first time in years.

From a near term perspective it should look pretty decent as many of the remaining players were recruited by Carter Lincoln. I would guess many of the incoming class were also identified before he left to go to Vermont last year and should at least have some familiarity with him.  I would think the expectations would be that Clarkson would be fighting for the 5-6 spot in the Liberty League again this season and looking for a few upsets along the way.  How things go long term is an unknown and only time will tell.

Knight, we can both agree that "time will tell".
I believe you may be a former player, and who knows we might even have done battle against each other.

We disagree about the senior class. I try my best to speak objectively on this board, despite my love for the Saints and individual Saints.
Seniors lead their teams. Always have always will.
A team will go as far as their seniors take them.
Back in the day we had a decent season, and our (3) seniors on the team contributed about 6% of the teams overall points.
What they did provide was Leadership, Experience, Know how and more than anything else HUNGER.
A senior's hunger rubs off on everyone around them.
How they behave in the locker room and fostering team spirit and hunger all sound cliche and semantic, but this stuff really counts.

Unlike Professionals who retire at the twilight of their physical prowess, college seniors retire normally crying facedown on a soccer field when they are at the peak of their ability.

Statistics say alot, but also leave out alot as well.
I think Coach Taylor will end up being an amazing coach and is now in an enviornment that he can maximize his ability as a coach the same place he did as a player.
I wish Clarkson nothing but the best.
Their success will only make the league stronger. I just dont see them rising over: SKIDMORE, RPI, HOBART, VASSAR, RIT, SLU this season, which they would need to in order to continue the process.

CU_GKnight

Quote from: Saint of Old on May 10, 2018, 10:19:42 AM
Quote from: CU_GKnight on May 10, 2018, 05:34:41 AM
Quote from: Saint of Old on May 09, 2018, 03:42:54 PM
Quote from: NEsoccerfan on May 08, 2018, 05:34:57 PM
Quote from: Ommadawn on May 08, 2018, 03:42:47 PM
...and Clarkson's new coach announced here:

https://clarksonathletics.com/news/2018/5/7/carter-lincoln-chosen-as-new-head-coach-for-clarkson-mens-soccer.aspx

2015 graduate? Wow. He has got to be one of the, if not the youngest head coach in all of college soccer.

Not looking good for the Golden Knights for the forseeable future.
This could be a great Coach, but to begin the rebuild all over again in a conference that is pretty stromg will be rough.

Clarkson had a good year last season with Seniors recruited by the previous Coach leading the way to their first conference playoff in years.

Good news for the coach is that expectations will not be unrealistic as he begins his career which is really really important.

I can't say I'm too surprised by the choice.  It fits with what Clarkson typically does when hiring coaches.  I think Steinrotter, Hillary, Taylor and now Lincoln were all within a few years of graduation when they got the head job.  I think it is a good opportunity for a young coach and hopefully Carter will be up to the task, but only time will tell.

I would disagree with Saint of Old that the expectations will be low and that this is another rebuild. I know Saint has an affinity for the former coach, but to say this team was "lead by players recruited by the former coach" would be a vast overstatement.  The senior class only had two regular starters and outside of the first weekend, when Calnan scored 4 of his 5 goals on the season, this was a team whose quality came more from the freshman and sophomores than from the seniors.  Freshman and Sophomores accounted for 55 percent of both the minutes played and the scoring.  While the seniors on this past years team are all fine young men, who I am sure will do well in life, they were not a key factor in Clarkson getting to the Playoffs for the first time in years.

From a near term perspective it should look pretty decent as many of the remaining players were recruited by Carter Lincoln. I would guess many of the incoming class were also identified before he left to go to Vermont last year and should at least have some familiarity with him.  I would think the expectations would be that Clarkson would be fighting for the 5-6 spot in the Liberty League again this season and looking for a few upsets along the way.  How things go long term is an unknown and only time will tell.

Knight, we can both agree that "time will tell".
I believe you may be a former player, and who knows we might even have done battle against each other.

We disagree about the senior class. I try my best to speak objectively on this board, despite my love for the Saints and individual Saints.
Seniors lead their teams. Always have always will.
A team will go as far as their seniors take them.
Back in the day we had a decent season, and our (3) seniors on the team contributed about 6% of the teams overall points.
What they did provide was Leadership, Experience, Know how and more than anything else HUNGER.
A senior's hunger rubs off on everyone around them.
How they behave in the locker room and fostering team spirit and hunger all sound cliche and semantic, but this stuff really counts.

Unlike Professionals who retire at the twilight of their physical prowess, college seniors retire normally crying facedown on a soccer field when they are at the peak of their ability.

Statistics say alot, but also leave out alot as well.
I think Coach Taylor will end up being an amazing coach and is now in an enviornment that he can maximize his ability as a coach the same place he did as a player.
I wish Clarkson nothing but the best.
Their success will only make the league stronger. I just dont see them rising over: SKIDMORE, RPI, HOBART, VASSAR, RIT, SLU this season, which they would need to in order to continue the process.

Saint - If I am correct in who you are, I believe our careers overlapped by a year.  If so it would have been the last draw in the series between the teams.

I am not discounting the role of the seniors as I do think it played some part in this seasons success.  This past seasons senior class had a lot of character and definitely fit the bill as far as role models for younger players. I just don't think that with them moving on it is a step backward for the program.  The change in coaching may set them back, but I think this years Junior class can learn from the classes before them and provide the Senior leadership at a similar level next season. I think the quality of the side improves as you have a lot of underclassman with a lot of game experience moving up in the program at the same time as the upperclassman are coming into their own from a leadership standpoint.  I just don't see the quality of the team going down next year with only minimal losses to graduation as whatever is lost id made up for in the rest of the team having another year of experience.

I don't see them jumping over the six teams you listed any time soon, at least not on a sustained basis.  I do think it is possible that we do get a result over one or two them and some results over the teams at the bottom of the table to make it back to the 5/6 seed.  They have beaten 4 of the 6 at least once in the past 3 years and the remaining two (Hobart and RIT) have had games that ended in draws in the same period.  I think after what the program has been through the past 15+ years we would be happy to see the team making it to the LL tourney a couple times in the next few years and then set the goal of moving further toward the top of the league.

Ommadawn

Quote from: CardinalAlum on December 16, 2018, 08:13:58 PM
North Central announced today that they have "parted ways" with Coach Klosterman.

'Tis the season for coaching changes.  On the Big Soccer forum's "Coach Hot Seat" thread, which focuses primarily on prospective men's D1 coaching changes, it was purported that Dave Brandt was in the final 5 candidates for the Rutgers job claimed by Fordham's (now former) Coach McElderry.  And Josh Shapiro has been the subject of a few "wonder if he'd be a strong D1 candidate" postings.  It's nice to D3 coaches get a few shouts out.

OldNed

Just got word that Adrian Dubois from St. Joseph's of Maine is heading to University of Vermont as an assistant.  I have not heard anything yet about whom will be succeeding Coach Dubois at SJC.

Ommadawn

Quote from: OldNed on December 27, 2018, 06:32:03 PM
Just got word that Adrian Dubois from St. Joseph's of Maine is heading to University of Vermont as an assistant.  I have not heard anything yet about whom will be succeeding Coach Dubois at SJC.

Thank you for the scoop, Old Ned!  It looks like Coach Dubois will be filling the vacancy left by Ruben Resendes, who took over for Roy Fink at Franklin Pierce.

OldNed

Saint Joe's announced today that Will Pike, who has been an assistant for 5 years, has been named head coach.  I think this is a good move for SJC and the continuity of the program.

https://www.gomonks.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20190115n0pvae

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ejay

A new coach, and soon a league with no AQ. Coincidence? What's the future look like for CNU?

Mr.Right

Quote from: Domino1195 on January 17, 2019, 05:53:25 PM
Chicago job open:

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2019/1/17/davidson-names-mike-babst-head-mens-soccer-coach.aspx

This is fantastic. This is honestly how it is done. He took six years and turned Chicago into a Championship outfit(without winning one) and reaped the reward by continuing to his next challenge in D1 at Davidson. Davidson is a great gig for a D3 Coach because it mirrors a bunch of the academic missions of top D3 schools. He can win there and while I think he could of continued the winning at Chicago and would get a title he realized if he is going to go to D1 the window is smaller than it used to be. This is the perfect time to move as you never know if an opportunity like this would come up again.

It's just interesting to see the differences in every coaches perspective, goals, challenges, happiness etc etc..

Question is now can the next UC Head Coach continue to move the program forward. The pieces and support look to be in place but it only takes a few fumbles by the incoming staff to muck the whole thing up.

Mr.Right

Quote from: OldNed on December 27, 2018, 06:32:03 PM

This was also a smart move. He obviously realized a year or two back this is as far as I can take this program. He had a stellar recruiting class of 2019 and put a ton of Wins on the resume with them. He had to go NOW because I would expect St.Joe's to come back to the pack after losing all those key players. Difference is Dubois jumped st being top assistant at UVM and Babst is running the show at Davidson. Still 2 solid moves

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 23, 2019, 10:12:16 AM
Question is now can the next UC Head Coach continue to move the program forward. The pieces and support look to be in place but it only takes a few fumbles by the incoming staff to muck the whole thing up.

This must be a real kick in the head to Chicago athletics staff and boosters. The U of C does so well in so many team sports, reaching the Final Four in six of them a collective total of 17 times, but it has never managed to win a national title in anything. On the other hand, the U of C's archrival Wash U has hoisted Walnut & Bronze 23 times in eight different sports, which ranks Wash U in D3's top ten schools in terms of national championships won. Men's soccer, along with women's soccer and women's tennis, represented one of the three good chances that the Maroons had to finally break through and win it all for the first time. But losing Mike Babst is going to be a severe blow to the U of C's chances in this particular sport.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Buck O.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 23, 2019, 01:07:19 PM
The U of C does so well in so many team sports, reaching the Final Four in six of them a collective total of 17 times, but it has never managed to win a national title in anything.

Chicago did win the national football championship in 1905, in pre-NCAA days.  So it's only a 114-year drought.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Buck O. on January 23, 2019, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 23, 2019, 01:07:19 PM
The U of C does so well in so many team sports, reaching the Final Four in six of them a collective total of 17 times, but it has never managed to win a national title in anything.

Chicago did win the national football championship in 1905, in pre-NCAA days.  So it's only a 114-year drought.

:D