FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Actually, sac, not necessarily true, IMO. The system would simply return to what it was before the unveiling of the Div III playoffs and particularly for the MIAA since the latter was not allowed to participate in any post season games before 1977 (specifically from 1960-1977). Even then, for all of DIII there were only 8 teams allowed in the playoffs, so most schools in the division did not even have a realistic chance at that.

However, since times have changed and the younger generation (your generation🙂) is used to the current playoff situation (and likley, many don't even know it being any different), I get your point and certainly, many will feel the same way. However, despite not having any playoffs, if the conferences were willing to have a limited season like many were tentatively planning (although now have decided against doing), it could be done and acceptable. Uh...that is to a degree and not taking into consideration any of the overtime efforts and the health issues debate, all of which would be required from so many various people who are involved in and absolutely necessary in running the entire programs.

Anyway, I said a couple of weeks ago (and thinking that even before) that I had the feeling this was going to happen. Just waiting now for hearing the announcement by the MIAA that they will "pull the plug" on the season. Since the NCAC and OAC have done it, not to mention all the other midwest schools that have done it, I can't imagine that our league will not be doing the same.

Edited for typos.🙂
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Another not unexpected event- Michigan State entire football team to be quarantined for 14 days due to positive coronavirus tests in a couple of players. Will this be the repetative pattern during the season if the FBS season goes forward?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sac

Quote from: formerd3db on July 24, 2020, 06:13:39 PM
Another not unexpected event- Michigan State entire football team to be quarantined for 14 days due to positive coronavirus tests in a couple of players. Will this be the repetative pattern during the season if the FBS season goes forward?

Surely it will be given the number of schools that have had to "pause" without the general student populations even being on campus yet.  As we saw around East Lansing with Harper's it doesn't take much to create a huge problem and every college campus has a dozen or more "Harpers" around.

In the end, this all feels like a fools errand.

formerd3db

Unfortunately, tick, tick, tick....anyone want to venture a guess as to the hour, day this week that our MIAA will "pull the plug" on the fall sports season as have most of the other DIII conferences?☹️

sac

WOTS is the MIAA is going to make an announcement Thursday afternoon.  I don't know the exact details, but I think you can infer you don't make an announcement that you're going to continue doing what you were planning on doing.

Just a refresher the MIAA was going to play an all conference-only schedule for all fall sports.

almcguirejr

Quote from: sac on July 29, 2020, 11:07:48 PM
WOTS is the MIAA is going to make an announcement Thursday afternoon.  I don't know the exact details, but I think you can infer you don't make an announcement that you're going to continue doing what you were planning on doing.

Just a refresher the MIAA was going to play an all conference-only schedule for all fall sports.

Jack Doles, WOODTV, is reporting that the MIAA will announce the cancellation of the fall football season July 30.  There is a chance they will be allowed to play 5 games in the spring.

sac

Quote from: almcguirejr on July 29, 2020, 11:26:19 PM

Jack Doles, WOODTV, is reporting that the MIAA will announce the cancellation of the fall football season July 30.  There is a chance they will be allowed to play 5 games in the spring.

5 games would keep them under the line for losing a years eligibility.   

formerd3db

Quote from: sac on July 29, 2020, 11:33:54 PM

The decision has been made for a few days. Not sure why they have waited until now to make it, however, that seems to be the modus operendi of our league.

A five game spring schedule is doable from a time and number standpoint. However, as has been discussed on the other boards, I am not sure how feasable this really is for having most of the fall sports in the spring as nit every MIAA school has separate football and soccer/lacrosse stadiums/fields. Add to that the added work load hours and stress on the athletic training staffs (which are now usually less than a handful), such will be a more than challenging undertaking. Can it work? Yes. Is it really realistic ir worth it?  I am not so sure.

TUAngola

Quote from: formerd3db on July 30, 2020, 10:36:11 AM
Quote from: sac on July 29, 2020, 11:33:54 PM

The decision has been made for a few days. Not sure why they have waited until now to make it, however, that seems to be the modus operendi of our league.

A five game spring schedule is doable from a time and number standpoint. However, as has been discussed on the other boards, I am not sure how feasable this really is for having most of the fall sports in the spring as nit every MIAA school has separate football and soccer/lacrosse stadiums/fields. Add to that the added work load hours and stress on the athletic training staffs (which are now usually less than a handful), such will be a more than challenging undertaking. Can it work? Yes. Is it really realistic ir worth it?  I am not so sure.

"Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Presidents' Council has voted to postpone conference competition and conference tournaments for cross country, football, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball. The Conference will develop schedules for these sports to take place later in the academic year. The MIAA is committed to offering engaging athletic experiences for student-athletes in these sports with extensive team activities this fall to include practice, skill development, strength & conditioning, leadership, and professional development opportunities.

Adrian College, Calvin University, and Trine University are exploring options to compete in all fall sports that they normally sponsor. Olivet College will explore options for competing in cross country, golf, and tennis this fall. All MIAA member institutions will continue to follow the NCAA recommendations outlined in the Resocialization to Sport – Developing Standards for Competition and Sport document for preseason resocialization to campus, practice, and competition this fall."

Looks like Adrian will play Trine in football this fall.  Maybe a home and home 2 game season?  Oh boy!!  Maybe Calvin can quickly put together a football progam to join in the fun ::).  In volleyball Adrian, Calvin and Trine will make up the conference this fall, maybe get some actual matches in until competing in a modified MIAA schedule in the spring. 

TUAngola

"Looks like Adrian will play Trine in football this fall.  Maybe a home and home 2 game season?  Oh boy!!  Maybe Calvin can quickly put together a football progam to join in the fun ::).  In volleyball Adrian, Calvin and Trine will make up the conference this fall, maybe get some actual matches in until competing in a modified MIAA schedule in the spring."

...in re-reading some more info from Trine and Calvin athletics pages they will pursue modified NON CONFERENCE options for play this fall.  No Adrian-Trine football game until the spring  So if the HCAC is still planning on fall sports maybe they can pick up some football and volleyball games with those institutions. 

wally_wabash

I'm genuinely curious about who they're going to play.  The rest of the North Region has suspended athletics for the fall.  The regional NAIA conference appears to still be going, but they have a limited schedule (9 games) and they've reworked that in a way that all of the MSFA teams have other MSFA teams to play.  Are Adrian and Trine going to travel to Iowa or Minnesota or to the Northeast to play games?  What options am I missing? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Pat Coleman

Quote from: TUAngola on July 30, 2020, 05:11:58 PM
"Looks like Adrian will play Trine in football this fall.  Maybe a home and home 2 game season?  Oh boy!!  Maybe Calvin can quickly put together a football progam to join in the fun ::).  In volleyball Adrian, Calvin and Trine will make up the conference this fall, maybe get some actual matches in until competing in a modified MIAA schedule in the spring."

...in re-reading some more info from Trine and Calvin athletics pages they will pursue modified NON CONFERENCE options for play this fall.  No Adrian-Trine football game until the spring  So if the HCAC is still planning on fall sports maybe they can pick up some football and volleyball games with those institutions.

Adrian and Trine could certainly still play each other -- it just wouldn't be considered a conference game.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Trine and Adrian were the two schools in the league who wanted football this fall rehardless if other conferences were going to opt out and Trine was pushing hard for the full 10 game season even before the announcement of the conference only shortened season. I am not sure why both are considering not being in unity with the conference, at least with regard to football. I can see having cross country and golf in the fall if schools desire as that is much more doable on view of the circumstances.

There will be (at least at Hope) fall practices going on via the so-called "non-tradritonal" seasons for baseball and lacrosse and very likely this will be done for football as well (and the other sports), of course in line with allowed NCAA guidelines for spring practice rules) and the safety guidelines for the current coronavirus situation. One potential positive in all of this for Hope (and any other schools who do this option woth the exception of Trine and Adrian if they go thru with playing actual fall football games) if we consider all uninitended consequences of the crisis is that the training staff(s) will not be working every weekend for the first time in years. IMO, the potential split faction re:Trine and Adrian makes this all this even more strange.

formerd3db

sac:

I guess, in a sense (or perhaps more than one) you were right, this was a fool's errand. It may be even moreso if the two mutineers go thru with it (and that, too, in more ways than one.)🙄🙂

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.