World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think the older Euro players will be invaluable to the young players coming up in MLS.  Right now they have a lot of good, but not great Central American stars to learn from, but that's almost like learning from the minor league lifers in AAA baseball, good, but not the best.

Beckham is still a starter for one of the top ten teams in the world.  Unlike a lot of other sports, when football's best start to slow down, they still can play at the same level as many of the good players around them for quite some time.  People like Nedved and Zidane and Beckham spent their prime absolutely head and shoulders above everyone else, so its noticable when they start to slow down, but usually it takes quite a while for teams to find someone good enough to take their place.  How else to explain why Roberto Carlos still has a job?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Browneagle64 on August 15, 2006, 12:14:28 PM
In this case, it will only help Beck's get richer.

Obviously, money isn't really an issue for Beckham.  He'll make pennies in the MLS compared to what Europe plays.  Besides, he makes most of his money through endorsements, and in that sense, he'll make good in the USA. 

On another note, I was reading Yahoo! Sports' Premiere League preview of each team.  Each team had the essentials like player arrivals and departures among other things.  Under Manchester United, Ruud Van Nistelrooy wasn't even listed as a departure! Wow.  Anyway, rumor around the pitch is that Hargreaves wants to play in England and Manchester United (not surprisingly) is linked.  That would be great to sign him, if not for the first four games since newly signed Michael Carrick is already injured and fellow midfielder Paul Scholes is suspended for games 2-4!  Plus, Hargreaves is a pretty sweet player.

Soccer marathon on FSC on Saturday with two live EPL games, an A-League game, a delayed EPL game and a live MLS game!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

joepieters

Quote from: Old School on August 15, 2006, 05:23:44 PM
Soccer marathon on FSC on Saturday with two live EPL games, an A-League game, a delayed EPL game and a live MLS game!

Please God let it rain on Saturday! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Joe Wally on August 15, 2006, 11:32:59 PM
Quote from: Old School on August 15, 2006, 05:23:44 PM

Please God let it rain on Saturday! ;D

Sorry, Joe, but soccer players are not like wimpy baseball players - we play in the rain!

Greek Tragedy

Maybe he has to work outside (mow the lawn, construction, housing, race NASCAR, etc) and if it rains, he doesn't have to work and he can watch soccer all day. 

If not, well then I curse Joe Wally! lol.  :D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Stinger

Not sure if you have noticed, but Setanta now has the EPL 7:30am game on Saturday mornings. There have been a few changes. Check out www.soccertv.com for the updates.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Browneagle64

Sorry, Joe, but soccer players are not like wimpy baseball players - we play in the rain!

HAHah, there are times that baseball teams do play in the rain. And when they do it really makes the game more fun. I think MLB should really consider what Football and Soccer teams do when it rains and get their feet wet. 
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

joepieters

Quote from: Old School on August 16, 2006, 08:06:21 AM
Maybe he has to work outside (mow the lawn, construction, housing, race NASCAR, etc) and if it rains, he doesn't have to work and he can watch soccer all day.

You are correct old school.

Greek Tragedy

Thanks to Netflix, I was able to rent Fever Pitch.  I'll have to say, it's not a bad movie at all.  I enjoyed the connection I had with the movie as I've been to Highbury before.  OK, I haven't been IN Highbury, but I did take the Underground up there and walked around.  Some kids almost let us Yanks in to watch a youth game, but I didn't wanna give them the requested amount of pence for admission! lol.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm proud to admit that I remember the likes of Alan Smith, goalscorer Michael Thomas, Bruce Grobbelar, Ian Rush and all of the other Arsenal and Liverpool players.  1989 just happened to be one of the first seasons I was acquainted with the top flight through Sports Channel America.  Pretty cool stuff.  I told my friend that I watched Fever Pitch and he almost slapped me (through the phone) because he thought I was watching the Drew Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon version!  :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Champions League Draw is out now.

Even as a Chelsea hater, I find it interesting that they are a #2 seed, thus getting stuck playing against a #1 seed like Barcelona.  Thanks to Ajax getting upset in the qualifying round, Man. Utd.'s group becomes easier with Celtic, Benfica and now FC Copenhagen in their group.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

And after two matchweeks in the premiership, ManU is back on top with 6 points and Chelsea lost to Middlesboro.  What happeded to all that backup talent they are supposed to have?

I'm looking forward to Champs league.  This first group stage is going to be tough, there are a lot of good teams.

WLCALUM83

Any of you German soccer fans surprised with Nuremberg and Bayern Munich playing to a 0-0 draw 8-26?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Munich is in trouble this year.  They don't have enough cash to compete with the English teams and they are really hurting.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 28, 2006, 09:00:57 AM

Munich is in trouble this year.  They don't have enough cash to compete with the English teams and they are really hurting.

1.  What does that have to do with their draw with Nuremburg?  Are they an English team now? lol.  ;D

2.  Maybe if they sold Hargreaves to Man. Utd., they'd have more money.  :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They just don't have the talent to compete in the Bundesliga because the English teams are buying all of the stars that are available.  I think you know what I meant.  Nuremburg's a sleeper.

Yeah, if they'd just let Hargreaves go, they might be able to plug a few holes.  Of course, now they only have two days left to do it.