FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

Redlands has a tremendous kicker; pretty much the same place in the end zone every time. Their punts were something to write home about. Their lines outplayed LINFIELD most of the time.Their refs timed their flags very well. The anthem singer hit the right notes.

Don't lose to CMS again.

Pat Coleman

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, WW, and sending the audio for the podcast!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: RFB on September 22, 2019, 12:51:23 PM
Good breakdown. Did you watch online, or attend in person? I'm curious what you think of Ted Runner stadium and Redlands campus since you're new to the West coast and the SCIAC.

Indeed I was there and, as Pat has teased, be sure to check out the next ATN podcast for some postgame reaction from Coach Maynard.

I like Ted Runner Stadium a lot.  There's really nothing quite like that view just before the sun sets, is there?  The new video board looks great also.  It really is a great D3 facility.  I hope you all fill up that home side for the rest of the year because I think the team is really good and really entertaining to watch. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

RFB

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 22, 2019, 02:39:28 PM
Quote from: RFB on September 22, 2019, 12:51:23 PM
Good breakdown. Did you watch online, or attend in person? I'm curious what you think of Ted Runner stadium and Redlands campus since you're new to the West coast and the SCIAC.

Indeed I was there and, as Pat has teased, be sure to check out the next ATN podcast for some postgame reaction from Coach Maynard.

I like Ted Runner Stadium a lot.  There's really nothing quite like that view just before the sun sets, is there?  The new video board looks great also.  It really is a great D3 facility.  I hope you all fill up that home side for the rest of the year because I think the team is really good and really entertaining to watch.

Yes, tough view to beat for sure. One of the best natural surface fields as well. It trumps playing on field turf all day, no comparison.

(509)Rat

Runner was a really nice playing surface. Better than the other away grass fields we played on. I always preferred it to fieldturf, though I could see an argument about liking the uniformity and predictability of the playing surface of fieldturf compared to grass. Runner was certainly better than PLUs original/1st generation AstroTurf at Sparks. Lewis and Clark had it too, I think. Those were the worst.

Jack Parkman

I am sure the teams will not be looking ahead, but I will, to the Chapman/Redlands game in a few weeks.  Looks like that could be a fun one and it's only 20 minutes from my house.  Hopefully the loser of this one doesn't slip up down the road and the SCIAC gets two in the playoffs.

DFWCrufan

Hey SCIAC and particularly Redlands fans, this could be you way! I say this because in the UMHB Rise, they were first focused on winning conference, then beating Linfield and then the playoffs, Maynard sounds like he has a good formula there. Looking good Dawgs, get beyond Chappie and this could be a really good season for ya!
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

RFB

Quote from: DFWCrufan on September 23, 2019, 10:35:26 AM
Hey SCIAC and particularly Redlands fans, this could be you way! I say this because in the UMHB Rise, they were first focused on winning conference, then beating Linfield and then the playoffs, Maynard sounds like he has a good formula there. Looking good Dawgs, get beyond Chappie and this could be a really good season for ya!

Have to get past Pomona first. The SCIAC has been improving and is developing parity which is great for the conference. Can't overlook anyone.

olddog

Saturday night.

1) When you hold a team to -37 yards on the ground, granted the bad snap and sacks were in that number...you dominated the other team up front. This is the first time I have seen UR dominate LF up front. The QB was under pressure for most of his throws if we learn how to take on a cut block from the RB it would been even a tougher night for them. This was the worse LF running game I can ever remember seeing. UR pass rush we pretty strong, the four verts was there against our 3 across we played on first and second down. Bottom line it was not the refs, UR fronts played better than LF. What I saw was UR linemen were stronger than LF, the strength coach is going on his fourth year. He is really good and a hard ass. In the past they kept losing their guy yearly. You can see some growth in this area, looked like FB players.

2) This LF team can beat UR, it will be very difficult to beat them again. This team is not as good as the LF teams five years ago. Not even close, but very dangerous if they can get a running game going.

3) First thing Maynard said after his 200th win we have to clean up a lot of mistakes. I promise you some young men will be getting some extra exercise, putting yourself above the team and getting personal fouls will not be tolerated by Maynard.

4) I spoke to four coaches Saturday night, I did not have the heart to ask what they were thinking on the goal line. They were so relieved to finally beat LF.

5) UR has to get healthy on D, three starters missed the game. NG, DB, LB...grade one and two injuries, bye week will help.

6) Coaches say they have a great group of kids, that work hard and support each other, this is a key component to being a good.

7) Interesting folks are now just realizing how bad SCIAC officials can be, I sat with some former players, one said he saw more holding called this evening than his four years at UR. Got to love those guys.

California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

MonroviaCat

Pretty fair assessment olddog.

Redlands definitely won the battle at the line.  Our o-line in young and it showed (especially after the starting center left the game with an injury)---didn't pick up the edge rusher on most plays in the first half, could open holes for the running game, etc.. While I agree the refs didn't decide the game, the call of a fumble on the first drive was just a bad call (I've seen video of it) and certainly had an impact on the early part of the game.  Redlands played better and deserved to win but I also agree that a rematch could easily go the other way. 

Redlands QB is great--even though he didn't have a big night (credit Linfield's defense) he also didn't make any mistakes (or nothing major at least) and as others have said he came up big when it mattered.  Good luck to the Dawgs through conference (could be an interesting year in the SCIAC).  Who knows, maybe we'll have another battle at the Runner in the playoffs!
Go Cats!

RFB

Quote from: olddog on September 23, 2019, 11:25:57 AM
Saturday night.

1) When you hold a team to -37 yards on the ground, granted the bad snap and sacks were in that number...you dominated the other team up front. This is the first time I have seen UR dominate LF up front. The QB was under pressure for most of his throws if we learn how to take on a cut block from the RB it would been even a tougher night for them. This was the worse LF running game I can ever remember seeing. UR pass rush we pretty strong, the four verts was there against our 3 across we played on first and second down. Bottom it was not the refs, it UR fronts played better than LF. What I saw was UR linemen were stronger than LF, the strength coach is going on his fourth year. He is really good and a hard ass. In the past they kept losing their guy yearly. You can see some growth in this area, looked like FB players.

2) This LF team can beat UR, it will be very difficult to beat them again. This team is no as good as the LF teams five years ago. Not even close, but very dangerous if they can get a running game going.

3) First thing Maynard said after his 200th win we have to clean up a lot of mistakes. I promise you some young men will be getting some extra exercise, putting yourself above the team and getting personal fouls will not be tolerated by Maynard.

4) I spoke to four coaches Saturday night, I did not have the heart to ask what they were thinking on the goal line. They were so relieved to finally beat LF.

5) UR has to get healthy on D, three starters missed the game. NG, DB, LB...grade one and two injuries, bye week will help.

6) Coaches say they have a great group of kids, that work hard and support each other, this is a key component to being a good.

7) Interesting folks are now just realizing how bad SCIAC officials can be, I sat with some former players, one said he saw more holding called this evening than his four years at UR. Got to love those guys.

Good breakdown. The goal line series to end the half was a WTF moment. Still trying to figure out what happened there. All three timeouts left, knocking on the door to score, and let the time run out. You have a good kicker, at least get the 3 points. Coaching staff has some cleaning up to do as well.

D O.C.

Like DO.C. wrote that night, the Redlands kicking game is superb.

olddog

On another note, I really liked this weekend, the scheduling alliance was really fun to see things play out. All the games were close. I think being the home team is an advantage, due to travel and most teams come into town on Friday unlike the big boys who arrive on Thurs most of the time. O/A looking forward to seeing the alliance in years to come.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

RFB

Quote from: olddog on September 23, 2019, 02:05:49 PM
On another note, I really liked this weekend, the scheduling alliance was really fun to see things play out. All the games were close. I think being the home team is an advantage, due to travel and most team come into town on Friday unlike the big boys who arrive on Thurs most of the time. O/A looking forward to seeing the alliance in years to come.

Agree. It's a good fit, and the two conferences are competitive against each other. Won't need to try and find games in the future hopefully.

OxyBob