MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebear

I think both of you guys are on point. 

The issue is that a "team effort" usually doesn't get rewarded with a lot of first team berths, but does get a bunch of 2nd team & HM's. 

Look at last year, Harris (Potsdam) was 1st team, despite fairly modest stats.  Why - because he played great post defense, and rebounded at both ends, and forced you to deal with him (& Turner).  The scorers (Barton, Connelly, Clayton) all made 2nd team or HM.  I think Cortland will get 1 1st teamer, 2 on the second, and one or two HM.  5 out of 15 represents the season they had.

Look at last year's All-SUNYAC team

Zera - leading scorer - lost in quarters
Bellucci - 2nd leading scorer - lost in quarters
O'Garrow - glue that made Cortland a contender
Perioli - glue that made Oswego a contender
Harris - post that everyone had to game plan for.

Taggart gives Cortland the presence to contend with the wide-body 6'8's you will see if you have to play Wooster, or some of the New England teams in the NCAA's.  Against midget SUNYAC teams, he sits a lot because he isn't quick enough to guard a Jaysen Murphy type player.  But in tournament play, he becomes a load, Simon can play the point instead of the post, and you have a great, deep lineup, with Ranieri, Headley, & Jutton/Maggiacomo.

Potsdam beat Fisher last year with in your face defense, Fisher couldn't run their offense, and Fisher's 6'4" scorers were mismatched when they did get inside.  They don't have a counter for Taggart.

I'm rooting for Corts.  They are a class act.  Sleeper could be Plattsburgh. if they show up with their A game, they can take anyone.  Lots of talent in Williams, Gorham, Gibbs-Smith & Miller.

Corts will have to play their usual great defense.  PG by committee may be a disadvantage against Reaves in the semi's.  If he's hot, like he was Tuesday, you can play great defense and he will still find a way to score. 

Should be a great SUNYAC tournament.  A Cortland win, and they should be a lock to host a first round game, and possibly, due to Fisher's tiny gym, the regionals as well. 

NCAA's - don't be surprised if a NJ or Ohio team gets moved into the region for balance.  Utica is the last ranked team, but unless they upset Fisher, they may not get an at large bid, particularly with a recent loss to Oswego.  Wooster has Wittenberg (#6 in poll)  in their conference, and Witt is < 500 mile bus trip to Rochester or Cortland, so that may be in the cards.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

retired12

Check out Potsdam's webiste, it shows that Barton was First Team Selection. This probably means that Belluci was awarded POY.

cstate19

i just got word ben is poy cortland had 3 honors players.........i will try to get more

cstate19

and btw.......gibbs-smith is a punk..........he is so lucky i will not be making the trip to utica this weekend........the redicule on his chin hair among other things would be enough to take him out of his game...........i guarentee i could rile him up enough to get a T..........message to G-S......your a good player....shut your mouth and hoop......dont worry about all that street sh*t.....your not making the NBA....get off the d3hoops message board for fans!!!!!!!!.........if you have that much free time get in the gym or the weight room.........i know your gonna read this...........your a solid player......work hard, ball out and be respected......

thebear

From the SUNYAC Web Site

2005-06 SUNYAC Men's Basketball All-Conference Teams

First Team
Name                          School                Pos.     Yr.       Ht.       Hometown/Previous School

Ben Bellucci               Brockport           G         Sr.       6'4       Cicero/Cicero-North Syracuse

Frank Ranieri              Cortland             F          Sr.       6'4       Cicero/Cicero North Syracuse

Ahmad Mims               Oswego              F          Sr.       6'4       Syracuse/Cicero-North Syracuse                     

Kris Gibbs-Smith        Plattsburgh         F          Sr.       6'6       Rochester/John Marshall

Edane Barton               Potsdam              G/F      Sr.       6-3       Spring Valley/Colgate University

Second Team
Name                          School                Pos.     Yr.       Ht.       Hometown/Previous School

Gregg Jones                 Buffalo State      F          Sr.       6'3       Syracuse/Nottingham

Simon Skrelja              Cortland             G/F      Sr.       6'3       Hastings-on-Hudson/Hastings

Nick Perioli                Oswego              G         Jr.        5'10     Liverpool/Liverpool

Mat Burridge               Oswego              C         Jr.        6'7       Oswego/Hannibal

Chris Reaves               SUNYIT             G         Jr.        5'9       Syracuse/Herkimer CC

Honorable Mention

Jerry Cheves               Brockport           F          Sr.       6'3       Brockport, NY/Brockport

Dion Mozelle              Buffalo State      F          So.       6'5       Rego Park/Xaverian

Scott Taggart               Cortland             C         Sr.       6'6       Sidney Center/Franklin

Jaysen Murphy            Oneonta              F          Jr.        6'3       East Elmhurst/Robert Wagner

Sean Coffey                 Oneonta              G         Sr.       6'2       New Paltz/New Paltz

2005-06 Player of the Year: Ben Bellucci, Brockport                                             

2005-06 Rookie of the Year: Scott Morton, Geneseo           

- Sgt. Joe Friday

cstate19

thanks bear...taggart gets HM......ouch.....guess i was off on thinking 1st team....

thebear

The two picks I don't get are Murphy and Coffey as HM.

Oneonta did squat this year until the last weekend.  Sure they had some injuries, but they also had 12 conference losses. 

Can't tell me that Maggiacomo didn't deserve HM over Coffey.  He was the dagger in the heart of most of Cort's opponents with his well-stroked threes coming off the bench.

I also thought Gilkes and Gorham were better choices for HM than Murphy as inside players.

Interesting all 5 first teamers are /slash/ G-F's who can go inside or outside.  No pure guards or posts in the group.  Wonder if this is a trend.

Good luck to Corts this afternoon, sure they'll come to play.

- Sgt. Joe Friday

fisheralum03

according to D3hoops.com, Plattsburgh beats Oswego 69-65 to advance to the finals against the winner between Cortland and SUNYIT

John McGraw

FINAL

Plattsburgh 69 Cortland 65
-Plattsburgh leads for a combined four or five minutes of the game. Anthony Williams hits a late three pointer for the go-ahead basket. Williams finished with 26pts.

HALF

SUNYIT 50 Cortland 38
*Wildcats shoot 9x18 from 3pt range

fisheralum03

That halftime score between Cortland and SUNYIT is surprising.

dewcrew88

Cortland down 4 54-50 after being down 12 at the half...

dewcrew88

17-4 run by Cortland, they've taken their second lead. 55-54 Cortland. IT is falling apart

dewcrew88

Quote from: budcrew08 on February 24, 2006, 04:05:47 PM
17-4 run by Cortland, they've taken their second lead. 55-54 Cortland. IT is falling apart

Technical foul on Cortland's Frank Ranieri... they said he said something to the officials.

Technical on BOTH teams. A guy from IT called for a Tech foul too.

dewcrew88

fisheralum03