MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seatfiller

So I just read the article http://www.odaconline.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/110118-mbkb-preseasonpoll and apparently it's only the top 10 teams that are allowed in the conference tourney.  I don't like that the tourney brings on a "new" season in itself.  They should've had 12 and 13 have a play in game and then kept the old style.  O well this old man didn't have a say.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Seatfiller on November 07, 2018, 09:47:38 PM
So I just read the article http://www.odaconline.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/110118-mbkb-preseasonpoll and apparently it's only the top 10 teams that are allowed in the conference tourney.  I don't like that the tourney brings on a "new" season in itself.  They should've had 12 and 13 have a play in game and then kept the old style.  O well this old man didn't have a say.

They have to do something as this conference has grown larger. I've even heard thoughts of trimming to eight, but anyway...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

guest323

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 07, 2018, 10:04:18 PM

They have to do something as this conference has grown larger. I've even heard thoughts of trimming to eight, but anyway...

Eight teams makes more sense to me. Puts more emphasis on end of schedule games for teams fighting to make the tournament.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 08, 2018, 02:01:57 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 07, 2018, 10:04:18 PM

Eight teams makes more sense to me. Puts more emphasis on end of schedule games for teams fighting to make the tournament.

Yeah, but the understandable concern of an unbalanced schedule is the issue of teams missing out based on how their schedule worked out compared to another team's schedule.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Definitely a complicated problem. The unbalanced schedule  issue is there no matter how many teams are left out of the tournament.

Seatfiller

Quote from: guest323 on November 07, 2018, 11:12:29 PM
Southern VA beat HSU last night

Who's HSU?  ??? ???

Just in my personal opinion I like every team going to the conference tourney.  Reminds me of the old Big East days, in the ODAC you never know who could win, Randolph beating VWC last season (after getting blown out a couple of days earlier) proved that.

ronk

guest323

Quote from: Seatfiller on November 08, 2018, 08:06:40 PM

Who's HSU?  ??? ???

Just in my personal opinion I like every team going to the conference tourney.  Reminds me of the old Big East days, in the ODAC you never know who could win, Randolph beating VWC last season (after getting blown out a couple of days earlier) proved that.

*HSC

...Who's VWC?  ;D

jknezek

Quote from: guest323 on November 08, 2018, 10:33:05 PM

Who's HSU?  ??? ???

*HSC

...Who's VWC?  ;D

It's one thing not to remember a recent name change. The vast majority of alums of ODAC schools played or spectated against VWC. It's hard to change that old nomenclature. I think the Marlins have a few years before old timers start picking up on VWU.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on November 09, 2018, 10:08:03 AM
Quote from: guest323 on November 08, 2018, 10:33:05 PM

Who's HSU?  ??? ???

*HSC

...Who's VWC?  ;D

It's one thing not to remember a recent name change. The vast majority of alums of ODAC schools played or spectated against VWC. It's hard to change that old nomenclature. I think the Marlins have a few years before old timers start picking up on VWU.
Or University of Lynchburg!  :o

y_jack_lok

Yesterday: Lynchburg beats Ferrum 75-57 and EMU beats Averett 90-74. Averett was an ODAC killer last season, but I think they graduated several of their best players.

Tonight: E&H, Roanoke, R-MC, and Guilford in action.

y_jack_lok

R-MC easily handles Immaculata 83-56. Immaculata was 13-12 last season and below .500 the seven seasons before that. A solid win, but hard to draw any conclusions about the Jackets based on what I saw and the opponent's history.

hasanova

Sluggish start in both halves for Guilford at Methodist, but the Quakers came back strong to lead 37-31 and win 72-65, respectively.  There were three Quakers in double figures led by Carson Long's 24 and nice contributions from a couple of newcomers.  Methodist is a good team and will be a contender in the USASAC this season.  Not sure why the attendance was listed as 212 ... there were 3 times that many people at the game.  Perhaps tickets sold.

Seatfiller

Bad start to the season for Roanoke yesterday as they lost to Ursinus college yesterday 72-64.  I didn't get to keep track of it until half and at that point it was a 10 point lead for Ursinus.  I looked up Usinus last year and they seemed a little better than average, but not a team Roanoke should lose too.

Today Roanoke beat Clarks Sumit 90-47.  I'm guessing the lost last night had RC fired up today.  Right now from what I've seen in the ODAC I'd say RMC is the team to beat (Like always).