FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Greenville WR Bryson Taylor for his Automatic Qualifying performance in the Triple Jump --  48' 7.25" 14.81 m...Best in D3 so far!

Join us on the Track Board

http://www.raceberryjam.com/indexod.html

Scroll to 2006 Performances, Men, Triple Jump (TJ)

retiredguy

Heard from a solid source Northern IBFC schools leaving in '08 to Great Lakes.  Southern IBFC schools to new SLIAC with some UMAC schools joining SLIAC.  So long IBFC enjoy your weak AQ for two more years.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: retiredguy on April 10, 2006, 07:34:29 PM
Heard from a solid source Northern IBFC schools leaving in '08 to Great Lakes.  Southern IBFC schools to new SLIAC with some UMAC schools joining SLIAC.  So long IBFC enjoy your weak AQ for two more years.

Retired guy, IMHO, the logical way for the IBFC to react to the changes in the NIIC and LMC merger is this.

NIIC/IBFC--Aurora, Benedictine, Concordia IL.
NIIC/UMAC--Rockford
LMC/IBFC--Concordia WI, Lakeland
LMC/UMAC--Maranatha Baptist
LMC/MIAA--Wisconsin Lutheran (WLC is staying with the MIAA until Tri-State is a full member in 2008.  IMHO, this is the key to the entire set of movements.  Only Maranatha and Rockford do not have access to the Pool A bid.  If the Northern AC wanted to move ahead for a Pool A football bid in 2009, then they could earn one that early and let WLC joion the next year.)

As I understand the NCAA by-laws, the Northern AC would be in Pool B in 2008 & 2009 and then Pool A in 2010.

Then the SLIAC will have these football playing members:  Eureka, Greenville and MacMurray (currently in the IBFC), and Blackburn, Principia and Westminster MO from the UMAC.  Six full members are enough to form the core for the sake of an AQ.  Beginning in 2008, the SLIAC could sponsor football, add the UMAC affiliates (Martin Luther and hopefully UMinn-Morris) and have the 7 or 8 full members.  The SLIAC would be Pool B in 2008 and 2009 and then qualify for the AQ in 2010.

The UMAC members which are sponsoring football are Martin Luther and Provisional 2008 UMinn-Morris and Crown and Provisional Class 2009 Northwestern MN and Presentation.  The UMAC would have 5 full core members in 2009.  They would need to add 2 affiliates to arrive at 7.  By 2011, they would earn the AQ.  By 2009, if College of St Scholastica and Northland were to add football, they would not need to add affiliates.  (Northland and St Scholastica already sponsor Ice Hockey, so I wonder if they would add football.)

Unless more schools add football in the UMAC, I see the easier, faster and more certain way to the AQ to be thru the SLIAC.  If the SLAIC/UMAC wish to continue the North/South division format and the Dome Day tradition, then they could accommodate them easily.

Pat Coleman

Heard from a solid source Northern IBFC schools leaving in '08 to Great Lakes. 

Great Lakes?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

IBFC_Alum

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 10, 2006, 09:33:47 PM
I this works out like you say it will the SLIAC will not be deserving of an AQ. Look at the teams you have mentioned....Mac is the only team to reach the playoffs(2001,2002) and they did not win a playoff game. Greenville is very much improved and in a year ot two could have contended for the IBFC crown.  The rest of the teams are mediocre.  Mac and Greenville should look to go another direction.  Even if it means more travel they have to take a step forward with their programs and not backwards.  It may be complicated to just up and join a new conference but this will not work.  Every year it would be Mac and Greenville winning the conference and then when they get to the playoffs they they would  be hurt by a weak conference schedule. Are their any other options?

Retired guy, IMHO, the logical way for the IBFC to react to the changes in the NIIC and LMC merger is this.

NIIC/IBFC--Aurora, Benedictine, Concordia IL.
NIIC/UMAC--Rockford
LMC/IBFC--Concordia WI, Lakeland
LMC/UMAC--Maranatha Baptist
LMC/MIAA--Wisconsin Lutheran (WLC is staying with the MIAA until Tri-State is a full member in 2008.  IMHO, this is the key to the entire set of movements.  Only Maranatha and Rockford do not have access to the Pool A bid.  If the Northern AC wanted to move ahead for a Pool A football bid in 2009, then they could earn one that early and let WLC joion the next year.)

As I understand the NCAA by-laws, the Northern AC would be in Pool B in 2008 & 2009 and then Pool A in 2010.

Then the SLIAC will have these football playing members:  Eureka, Greenville and MacMurray (currently in the IBFC), and Blackburn, Principia and Westminster MO from the UMAC.  Six full members are enough to form the core for the sake of an AQ.  Beginning in 2008, the SLIAC could sponsor football, add the UMAC affiliates (Martin Luther and hopefully UMinn-Morris) and have the 7 or 8 full members.  The SLIAC would be Pool B in 2008 and 2009 and then qualify for the AQ in 2010.

The UMAC members which are sponsoring football are Martin Luther and Provisional 2008 UMinn-Morris and Crown and Provisional Class 2009 Northwestern MN and Presentation.  The UMAC would have 5 full core members in 2009.  They would need to add 2 affiliates to arrive at 7.  By 2011, they would earn the AQ.  By 2009, if College of St Scholastica and Northland were to add football, they would not need to add affiliates.  (Northland and St Scholastica already sponsor Ice Hockey, so I wonder if they would add football.)

Unless more schools add football in the UMAC, I see the easier, faster and more certain way to the AQ to be thru the SLIAC.  If the SLAIC/UMAC wish to continue the North/South division format and the Dome Day tradition, then they could accommodate them easily.
"Division III Football, Where They Pay to Play"

IBFC_Alum

I this works out like you say it will the SLIAC will not be deserving of an AQ. Look at the teams you have mentioned....Mac is the only team to reach the playoffs(2001,2002) and they did not win a playoff game. Greenville is very much improved and in a year ot two could have contended for the IBFC crown.  The rest of the teams are mediocre.  Mac and Greenville should look to go another direction.  Even if it means more travel they have to take a step forward with their programs and not backwards.  It may be complicated to just up and join a new conference but this will not work.  Every year it would be Mac and Greenville winning the conference and then when they get to the playoffs they they would  be hurt by a weak conference schedule. Are their any other options?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: IBFC_Alum on April 11, 2006, 08:17:03 AM
I this works out like you say it will the SLIAC will not be deserving of an AQ. Look at the teams you have mentioned....

Are their any other options?

Whether they are deserving is one thing.  What is permitted by D3 by-laws and philosophy about access to the playoffs is another.

What I have outlined is what I can imagine the SLIAC Presidents and Commissioner might do to offer playoff access to their student-athletes.

Were I the hired consultant, that would be my recommendation. :)

My anti-elitist nature loathes the smug pseudo-superiority of those who think they are better because [of] "TSDS" (shorthand for a common Texas-ism; they believe their feces has no odor).  D3 is about access.  A conference champion, the best among their peers, deserves access.  The expanded format has taken many of the inequities out of the playoff.  (A good IWU made it to the Final Four.) In this case, the bid for this large SLIAC/UMAC conference will "come from Pool B".  Practically speaking, the IBFC bid will move to the Northern AC.

Respectfully, Mac and Greenville are in the SLIAC for all sports.  They are not going to join another conference, and drag all of the programs to the CCIW or the HCAC or the MWC.  That travel would be detrimental to those programs.

IBFC_Alum

The CCIW would be a good fit for Mac beacuse they play a lot of those schools from that conference in other sports as it is anyways.  The CCIW has teams from Wisconsin and the Chicago area as does the IBFC.  So travel would not be an issue with that conference.  Now obviously that is one of the strongest conferences in the nation, so Mac would love to join, but that is not going to happen.  It would take several years for Mac to become even close to a contender in the CCIW but it would be very attrractive to possible recruits down the road. I am a fan for strong competition becaus eit only helps you in the playoffs.  What is the use of going to the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first round every year because you have played a weak schedule. Makes no sense to me. The CCIW is only a dream for Mac though. It will never happen.

79jaybird

Of the schools appearing on this board, I would like to see Aurora, CUW, and Lakeland possibly joining the CCIW. At one time Carroll College was apart of the CCIW, prior to joining the MWC
Aurora- b/c the Spartans play CCIW Teams in every sport
CUW/Lakeland-- b/c they are a consistent playoff team and I think would fit in the CC.  They are relatively close to Carthage/NC/EC/Wheaton
I don't know ( and wouldn't suspect) that the CCIW is looking to add schools. 
IMO, I could see the CCIW adding 2 teams = 10  then going to two 5 school brackets.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Gomer Pyle

With all this talk of possible moves by some to the SLIAC i  e-mailed The Information Director of that conference and asked for a comment as to their
   intent on getting back into football.
  Yes, No, Maybe.  As of now, nothing.  Really didn`t expect much but doesn`t cost anything to ask.
  One things for sure i don`t believe any school from
  the IBFC wants to go to a conference that doesn`t have an AQ to the NCAA play-offs.

IBFC_Alum

My conference pics for next year....

1) Lakeland
2)CUW and Mac

IBFC_Alum

4) Greenville
5) AU
6)CU-RF
7)Eureka

79jaybird

What about Benedictine?  Where do you see them fitting in?
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

IBFC_Alum

sorry about that.

5) AU
6) BU
7)CURF
8)Eureka

What do you think.........

FatalImpact

There is no way that those picks are right.....You gotta get your facts straight man....no way is that in any way shape or form a good selection for the conference next year
Aurora Football 24/7 365