Wendy's Classic/Chase Tournament

Started by Razor, January 03, 2008, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Our preliminary plan is to cover all of Saturday's action with blogging on the Daily Dose, coaches interviews and broadcasts of games not otherwise carried on WYSL.  We'll link to the station's feeds for the title games since JC DeLass does a great job.

Looking forward to the visit to Rochester and hoping weather doesn't derail our plans.

Ethelred the Unready

Do the good folks at D3Hoops have any plans to cover the Chase this year?
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

gobombers15

If I had to take a guess, here's how I think they'd seed (this is not how I'd seed, just how I think they'd seed based on past tendencies to avoid conference matchups, if possible):

1) Rochester
2) Geneseo
3) RIT
4) Fisher
5) Roberts Wesleyan
6) Brockport
7) Naz
8 ) Keuka

This avoids conference matchups in the 1st round. Also, if form holds, and it almost never does in the Chase, there'd be no conference matchups in the semis, either. I think they'll seed UR ahead of RIT since UR beat them, and RIT ahead of Fisher for the same reason. Where they slap a 7-2 Geneseo will be the key. We know the top four and the bottom four, though.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ethelred the Unready on January 08, 2009, 01:30:49 PM
Do the good folks at D3Hoops have any plans to cover the Chase this year?

I don't think we'll have anyone personally in attendance, no, though of course since J.C. DeLass is the region's Hoopsville correspondent we will have some in-person reporting going on.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sjfcards

Quote from: gobombers15 on January 08, 2009, 10:24:30 PM
If I had to take a guess, here's how I think they'd seed (this is not how I'd seed, just how I think they'd seed based on past tendencies to avoid conference matchups, if possible):

1) Rochester
2) Geneseo
3) RIT
4) Fisher
5) Roberts Wesleyan
6) Brockport
7) Naz
8 ) Keuka

This avoids conference matchups in the 1st round. Also, if form holds, and it almost never does in the Chase, there'd be no conference matchups in the semis, either. I think they'll seed UR ahead of RIT since UR beat them, and RIT ahead of Fisher for the same reason. Where they slap a 7-2 Geneseo will be the key. We know the top four and the bottom four, though.

I see it just a little different. I have it:
1. U of R.
2. RIT
3. Fisher
4. Geneseo
5. Roberts Wesleyan
6. Brockport
7. Keuka
8. Naz

I can see Fisher and Geneseo as interchangable with similar records (assuming they both take care of business this weekend) and similar schedules. But Fisher's win against one ranked team gets them the nod. Just judging by the past Chase rankings, I could see Keuka jumping Brockport, but I don't think it will happen. The seedings tend to just be about records, and not so much about SOS or quality wins.
GO FISHER!!!

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: sjfcards on January 10, 2009, 12:45:16 AM
Quote from: gobombers15 on January 08, 2009, 10:24:30 PM

1) Rochester
2) Geneseo
3) RIT
4) Fisher
5) Roberts Wesleyan
6) Brockport
7) Naz
8 ) Keuka

I see it just a little different. I have it:
1. U of R.
2. RIT
3. Fisher
4. Geneseo
5. Roberts Wesleyan
6. Brockport
7. Keuka
8. Naz

I can see Fisher and Geneseo as interchangable with similar records (assuming they both take care of business this weekend) and similar schedules. But Fisher's win against one ranked team gets them the nod. Just judging by the past Chase rankings, I could see Keuka jumping Brockport, but I don't think it will happen. The seedings tend to just be about records, and not so much about SOS or quality wins.

If I were Naz and got ranked behind Keuka, a team that just lost by about 50 to first-year team Wells, I think it would fire me up a little.  Something needs to wake the program up.  The Chase may be just the ticket.

sjfcards

We have seen Naz show up during the Chase tourny when not much was expected of them in the past. I remember my Freshman year, Naz was not all that great but beat Fisher (the 2 seed) and U of R (the 3) before eventually losing to Brockport in the Championship.
GO FISHER!!!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sjfcards

It should be an interesting week with the Chase Tournment. I hate it when Fisher has to play Roberts in the Chase. You never know what they are going to throw at you, and you can't make much of who they have beat, and who they have lost to.
GO FISHER!!!

FisherDynasty

I dont hate it Fisher has beatin roberts last 3 or 4 times theyve played in the chase. Id rather have Fisher play Roberts then a Naz team that will play fisher tough no matter how good they are this year.

magicman

Chase first round matchups:

Men's Tournament
Wednesday:
At Brockport:
6:15 pm - #1 Rochester (9-2) vs. #8 Keuka (3-4), 8:15 pm - #3 Geneseo (8-3) vs . #6 Brockport (3-6).

At Nazareth:
6:15 pm - #4 St. John Fisher vs. #5 Roberts Wesleyan (8-6), 8:15 pm - #2 RIT (8-3) vs. #7 Nazareth (2-8).

I think the seeding committee read the posts on this page and made sure they were different.

tigerfan2

I know this is the way it works with the Chase but the #6 and #7 seeds get to play home games vs. the #2 and #3 seeds, wow.

Based on the records its interesting that Naz got the #7 seed instead of Keuka, I haven't seen any games but from the sounds of it, it really doesn't seem like they deserve it.

Plus it would just be funny to see anyone but Keuka be the #8.

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: tigerfan2 on January 12, 2009, 09:11:17 AM
I know this is the way it works with the Chase but the #6 and #7 seeds get to play home games vs. the #2 and #3 seeds, wow.

Based on the records its interesting that Naz got the #7 seed instead of Keuka, I haven't seen any games but from the sounds of it, it really doesn't seem like they deserve it.

Plus it would just be funny to see anyone but Keuka be the #8.

I'd bet the committee took into consideration Keuka's 100-54 loss to first-year team Wells when deciding where to place them.

FROMAFAR

I don't like playing NAZ in first round at NAZ >:(.......... Talk about Karma. I know NAz is horrible, but something tells me this is not good. But what do I know ;)
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?