MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

Quote from: sac on December 16, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 16, 2017, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: maroonandgold on December 16, 2017, 12:28:39 PMLast night Alma, the early favorite of the coaches for second place, lost again, putting their record at 1-5(?).    Not only is their record quite poor, but the team they lost against does not appear to be that strong

??? ???

Paging AndOne, paging AndOne, please pick up the white courtesy phone ...

North Central could probably win this years MIAA, and I'm not even sure it would be real close.

My metrics that only include this year's numbers have Calvin as the top team in the MIAA with an efficiency margin of +8 (points per 100 possessions above average). That would place them fifth in the CCIW (Carthage is a bit ahead). North Central is right up there with Illinois Wesleyan at +18 with Augustana at +23. Wheaton is just behind at +6 after their loss to Alma.

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on December 16, 2017, 10:08:27 PM
Quote from: sac on December 16, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 16, 2017, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: maroonandgold on December 16, 2017, 12:28:39 PMLast night Alma, the early favorite of the coaches for second place, lost again, putting their record at 1-5(?).    Not only is their record quite poor, but the team they lost against does not appear to be that strong

??? ???

Paging AndOne, paging AndOne, please pick up the white courtesy phone ...

North Central could probably win this years MIAA, and I'm not even sure it would be real close.

Multiple choice..........
The above is an insult to
A) The MIAA?
B) NCC?
C) Both?

* Of course if the answer to the above is B, that would seem to contradict sac's earlier position delineated in his post following last night's game but,......................which seems to have disappeared since it was posted.  :o  ???  ;)

Central Region / Re: MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« on: Yesterday at 11:46:10 pm »
NC 72  Alma 51

NC dominated the first half of this one but in kind of weird way as they only shot 40% against Alma's zone but defensively held Alma under 30%.  The first half rebounding was a staggering 31-13 advantage for NC with something like a dozen offensive rebounds yet that had few second chance points.

Alma did make it a better game in the second half and I think got the margin under ten once.  Key moment was probably Alma missing a fast break 3 that would have cut the lead to 7 only to see NC bury a 3 at the other end off the miss.  Potential 7 point margin to 13, the Cardinals buried them in the last 6 min.

Raridon played a secondary role in this one with Alma playing almost exclusively zone and doubling him anytime he got the ball within 15 feet of the bucket.  I don't know if NC normally plays him on the perimeter in a guard role but that was where he spent most of this one.  His buckets were mostly nifty step through the zone shot from mid range.   Alma did try to play man defense once and Raridon skillfully cut to the left wing and buried a silky smooth 3......and that was the last man defense Alma attempted, maybe for the season.

The entire margin of the game is exactly the difference of 14 made 3's for NC to 7 for Alma,  Scots had their chances they just couldn't make enough shots to stay with North Central.  But I never felt like Alma was a big threat, NC is simply bigger, stronger, deeper and a little more skilled overall.

Nice to see the Cardinals, always enjoy seeing good CCIW teams.

sac

The post I made on Alma/NC didn't disappear, I only posted on the CCIW board last night.  http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4592.46665

sac

Hope 91  St. Vincent 74

Fairly close contest most of the way, Hope finished on a strong run for the final margin.

J. Beckman 21, Hawkins 19, Towns 12, Ray 12, Granger 12

Hope's off tomorrow, play some school from Ohio on Thursday, Bald.......something, pretty sure they've never played in any significant soul crushing contests before. 

OC_SID

Quote from: sac on December 19, 2017, 10:07:19 PM
Hope 91  St. Vincent 74

Fairly close contest most of the way, Hope finished on a strong run for the final margin.

J. Beckman 21, Hawkins 19, Towns 12, Ray 12, Granger 12

Hope's off tomorrow, play some school from Ohio on Thursday, Bald.......something, pretty sure they've never played in any significant soul crushing contests before.

Let me finish the name for you ....... Baldwin Wallace ... no worries, I was not present nor a student at the time of the significant soul crushing contest ...  ;D

Flying Dutch Fan

Based on the stats and the radio call last night (I know, first time in forever not attending a Hope game in person), Dennis Towns had a really solid performance.  12 points, 9 boards, 6 assists, and 3 blocks in 30 minutes.  Couple that with 12 points and 5 rebounds off the bench for Preston Granger and 5 boards and 3 assists for Rob McGivney, and I'm encouraged.  Going to need that kind of effort from our bigs going forward.  Have to keep reminding myself that these three guys had a total of 364 minutes of varsity playing time prior to this season.  Dante and Jason are going to be the focus of the other teams defense, so the bigs play a big part in our success.  Teddy Ray (not sure if he's a big or a wing or a guard - he fulfills all those roles when needed, scoring, defending, rebounding) added to that mix and you have the makings of a team that can be pretty darn good.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

pointlem

Hope leads St. Vincent by one point at half and wins by 17.
BalW leads St. Vincent by one point at half and wins by 17.

Perhaps an overtime game tomorrow night? Well, at least a good match up . . . and a good test for Hope's young team.

sac

The other common opponent with the Yellowjackets is Marietta a 102-71 loss for Hope on opening night, and  73-72 last second win for BW a couple weeks later.  I would certainly like to think Hope has improved since that first game.

When placed side by side there are few things that stick out

--Hope is a slightly better shooting team, but only slightly.  Maybe an advantage if it turns into a uptempo high shot kind of game.
--BW is the much better rebounding team, a weak spot for Hope so far,  Hope is actually negative margin on the season
--BW loves the 3-point shot while maybe being only slightly above average, the 3-point line has been a sore spot for Hope defensively against good teams and BW will shoot a lot of them
--FG% defense is in BW's favor where Hope comes into the week near the bottom of D3, but BW is on the low end of avg here at 43%

Two pretty good offensive teams and maybe not so great defensively.

BW has two great wins against top 25's  UW-River Falls and Marietta, but also two curious kind of losses at Wheaton and at Muskingum.  On those nights BW didn't shoot the 3 ball very well, they survived not shooting it well at Marietta which could have been a loss.

sac

BW 79  Hope 71

Hope made a mad scramble game of it after falling behind 65-51, never did have possession or chance to tie but were within 2 a couple times.  BW did a nice job knocking down FT's at the end.

Hawkins 25, Beckman 20, Granger 13

TUAngola

Quick synapsis of Trine MBB with one nonconference game to go before MIAA play begins

Record: 4-6, about where I thought we'd be.  With graduations and transfers last year, only a couple returners who were in the regular rotation on the squad, Copeland and Langston.  Everyone else is new, either transferred in or freshman or were injured, or football player (more on that later).  I've seen 5 of the 8 home games, some decent play at times, but a lot of trouble on defense, especially with teams with guards who can get to the rim, we aren't the quickest team.  We've rebounded ok, foul shooting and turnovers, a Trine staple in the past, has been average at best. 

Players:  Coach will probably play 8-9 guys heading into conference play, 3 who typically start will be Copeland, Smith and Paul.  2 out of these 3 should also start; Hunter, Johnston and Klune, depending on opposing team matchups.  2-3 others in rotation will probably be Corcoran, Brown, and Winters.  Marcus Winters is a neat story, 2nd semester addition after finishing his junior year on the football team as MIAA defensive player of the year and 2nd team All American.  Once he gets comfortable with the plays I think you'll see him get more playing time as the year goes on.

MIAA prediction:  I am guessing we'll be no better than 5-9 in the league.  I think the race is wide open for the 4 team post season tournament.  Besides Trine I've only seen Adrian play in person so far this year, they are much improved over last year and could sneak into the top 4.  Alma, Calvin, Hope and Olivet should be right up there too.     

Only 10 days until the WBB teams open up play at the brand new MTI Center.  Showdown with Hope.  Then the men home opener a week later against Adrian on the 10th, which will be the official grand opening of the arena.  Another "sneak peak" inside MTI, this time of the video board being installed. 

Merry Christmas everyone!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flying Dutch Fan

Hey folks, only 8 days until the MIAA season tips off.  We are once again having a pick 'em contest (link to that below).  Given what many of us have seen as parity in the league this year, this contest will be a real challenge.  Please come join the fun:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=5915.new#new
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

GreatScot!?

Quote from: TUAngola on December 24, 2017, 01:35:12 PM
Quick synapsis of Trine MBB with one nonconference game to go before MIAA play begins

Record: 4-6, about where I thought we'd be.  With graduations and transfers last year, only a couple returners who were in the regular rotation on the squad, Copeland and Langston.  Everyone else is new, either transferred in or freshman or were injured, or football player (more on that later).  I've seen 5 of the 8 home games, some decent play at times, but a lot of trouble on defense, especially with teams with guards who can get to the rim, we aren't the quickest team.  We've rebounded ok, foul shooting and turnovers, a Trine staple in the past, has been average at best. 

Players:  Coach will probably play 8-9 guys heading into conference play, 3 who typically start will be Copeland, Smith and Paul.  2 out of these 3 should also start; Hunter, Johnston and Klune, depending on opposing team matchups.  2-3 others in rotation will probably be Corcoran, Brown, and Winters.  Marcus Winters is a neat story, 2nd semester addition after finishing his junior year on the football team as MIAA defensive player of the year and 2nd team All American.  Once he gets comfortable with the plays I think you'll see him get more playing time as the year goes on.

MIAA prediction:  I am guessing we'll be no better than 5-9 in the league.  I think the race is wide open for the 4 team post season tournament.  Besides Trine I've only seen Adrian play in person so far this year, they are much improved over last year and could sneak into the top 4.  Alma, Calvin, Hope and Olivet should be right up there too.     

Only 10 days until the WBB teams open up play at the brand new MTI Center.  Showdown with Hope.  Then the men home opener a week later against Adrian on the 10th, which will be the official grand opening of the arena.  Another "sneak peak" inside MTI, this time of the video board being installed. 

I can't imagine how bad a team would have to be to finish 9th.

sac

Adrian 64  Sienna Heights 51   --Bulldogs beat their crosstown rival and it was fairly comfortable.

IPFW  99  Olivet 93  ---pretty close game all the way, Olivet had it tied with 5 min to play and were within 2 just under a minute to go.  http://www.miaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/boxscores/20171228_adp2.xml?view=boxscore 

Adams 37, Edmond 29

Olivet's getting almost 50% of its points from just 2 guys, I can't imagine there are too many teams with that kind of imbalance and two 20+ pts per game scorers.

.....and their best dude has been in street clothes all year. :o

shknowsbest

Olivet could be very tough, IPFW beat Indiana University by 20 at Bloomington earlier this year.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: GreatScot!? on December 28, 2017, 09:01:32 PM
Quote from: TUAngola on December 24, 2017, 01:35:12 PM

I can't imagine how bad a team would have to be to finish 9th.

I think 5-9 was the projected record, not the range of placements.

If any team was going to try for 9th place it would have been the 2002 and 2003 Alma squads that combined to go 0-24 in conference play. But even those teams both finished 7th!