D 3 softball

Started by oldNorse, April 10, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.115

Quote from: justafan12 on May 21, 2018, 09:20:55 AM
NCAA got what they wanted; one team from each region.  Anyone know their rational for the rankings?  Its not by regional seeding:

1. Va. Wesleyan #1 Atlantic
2. Texas-Tyler  #2 West
3. Rowan #2 East
4. MIT #1 New England
5. Luther #4 Midwest
6. Ill. Wesleyan #1 Great Lakes
7. CWRU #5 Central
8. Ithaca #2 Northeast

Would you guess it's some sort of national power ranking or SOS-related?

Here's the bracket from the NCAA website:  https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d3/2018

justafan12

Any idea on which fields the games will be played on this year?  Last year, only the first day and last day were played on the main field at the complex.  Lots of complaints from teams about that last year.  D3 softball committee's response was:

"The primary concern from participant evaluations was that teams were not permitted to play all games on the championship field. The committee asked NCAA staff to explore opportunities for the Division III teams to compete on the championship field beyond the first day of competition and the championship series."

Just wonder if any action will be taken regarding this.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: justafan12 on May 21, 2018, 11:26:14 AM
Any idea on which fields the games will be played on this year?  Last year, only the first day and last day were played on the main field at the complex.  Lots of complaints from teams about that last year.  D3 softball committee's response was:

"The primary concern from participant evaluations was that teams were not permitted to play all games on the championship field. The committee asked NCAA staff to explore opportunities for the Division III teams to compete on the championship field beyond the first day of competition and the championship series."

nope, same as last year. All non-opening day, non-championship games will be on Integris/aka Field 4.

DagarmanSpartan

Good to see CWRU get its first bid to the DIII Women's College World Series.

Let's hope that we win at least one or two to show that it wasn't a fluke!

GO LADY SPARTANS!!!

justafan12

Quote from: Caz Bombers on May 21, 2018, 12:38:41 PM
Quote from: justafan12 on May 21, 2018, 11:26:14 AM

nope, same as last year. All non-opening day, non-championship games will be on Integris/aka Field 4.
That is what I though; NCAA doesn't care.

titanalum94

There were more signs up last year for the DI "World Series" than there were for the DIII "Championships" during D3's week as well

justafan12

I talked to one player last year who said she felt 2nd class in OKC.  Said she would rather have been in Salem where at least they treated you like you mattered.  NCAA has known this was a major complaint in 2017 of the players and fans and still did nothing about it.  Appears those opinion surveys that you fill out when your there are just worthless pieces of paper.

Mr. Ypsi

#6 IWU 5, #3 Rowan 1.  Second-team AA pitcher Ally Wiegand was a bit shaky early on, yielding two of her four hits in the first inning, but then gave up only a solo HR in the fourth.  Sophomore 2B Shelby Fulk led the way with a 2 1 2 3 1 stat line.  I'll put up our sophomore class against any in the country, as it includes both Ally Wiegand (a finalist for national player of the year) and Shelby Fulk, plus first-team AA SS Sam Berghoff, #2 pitcher Brea Walker (who had a complete-game shutout in the super-regional),  and LF Sydney Alery (who homered in each game of the Saturday sweep of UWW, and was co-MVP [with Berghoff] of the super-regional.

Hanna Hull (Va. Wes.), the reigning POY and likely this year's winner again is only a sophomore and so amazing she may be worth any two of the above!  (How did she end up in D3?)  But can any other team claim a quintet like IWU's?

I'm obviously pleased to win game one (once again, no chance of dead last! ;D), but not satisfied yet!  Play relaxed; as a #6 seed no one expects you to win.  But YOU know you can win it all - the 2010 IWU baseball team was probably the #8 seed, but brought home the walnut-and-bronze!

justafan12

And off to the back fields they go!!  I wonder if they even tarp the back field for D3. Probably will make them play on the one with no stands.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: justafan12 on May 25, 2018, 10:29:52 AM
And off to the back fields they go!!  I wonder if they even tarp the back field for D3. Probably will make them play on the one with no stands.

Don't know about that, but both winners' bracket games were postponed to Saturday.  In the games that did get played, both went to 8 innings: CWRU eliminated Rowan, 2-1, and Ithaca eliminated MIT, 3-2.  No word (that I found) whether the postponed games were due to active rain or unplayable fields.  Interesting that the first two teams eliminated were the third and fourth seeds.

Alas, I will miss the IWU/UTT game due to visiting cemeteries with Mrs. Y's relatives.  Go TITANS!

Bombers798891

What a season by the Bombers! Probably needed to win the conference tournament to get in to the NCAas, and they go 2-1 against a team they'd lost to twice in the regular season, including a gutsy 1-0 12-inning win in the elimination game. Then they bounce back from a loss to eliminate Manhattanville in the regionals. *Then* they take out #6 Fisher-another team they'd lost to twice in the regular season- by responding to a no-hitter by scoring seven runs to get to Oklahoma City.

Now, just two innings away from elimination here, they rally for two runs to tie and then walk it off in extras. What a tough, gutsy team that refuses to go quietly and rises to the occasion when their season is on the line.

titanalum94

There is a bracket crossover this afternoon with the IWU/TT loser playing Ithaca and the VWU/Luther loser facing Case Western in the bottom half of the bracket.

DagarmanSpartan

Good to see the Lady Spartans beat Rowan to remain in the hunt.

Let's hope that the magical ride continues!

E.115

^Kudos to Case Western Reserve on their hard-earned victory.

At one point, I had the CWRU softball game running on my IPad, Cleveland Cavs playoff game on the tv, and was keeping an eye on the CWRU women's doubles national quarterfinal on my phone. Wife said I had to tone it down...

Bombers798891

The Bombers take down Texas Tyler 5-2. Ithaca has now won five straight win-or-go-home games in this postseason. What a great team