FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhythm21

Quote from: ecreddevils on October 24, 2018, 02:48:18 PM
Quote from: Rhythm21 on October 24, 2018, 01:09:47 AM
Hypothetically, if Eureka wins and then beats Lakeland and Rockford, I could see them getting matched up with the AQ from the CCIW, which is still up for grabs (Ill Wesleyan at the top.) If CUW wins out, it's more than likely going to be a cold journey to Whitewater. I'm jumping on the Eureka bandwagon. I don't know much about the Red Devils, aside from that Reasnover is the truth. Do they have the size on the offensive and defensive lines to hang with a CCIW team? And their secondary looks like it has the length to compete with Healy and IWU's WR core, but their LB measurements seem a bit undersized (though that hasn't seemed to hinder them at all this year.) Either way, excited to see how they handle Nixon, Sanders & Tennette this Saturday. Should be a great game.

I predict the EC offense will steamroll a CUW team that gave up 34 to CUC last week.  They will not shut down Reasnover.

Now, it will be interesting to see where EC gets paired when (ok, if) they go 10-0.

My opinion as a fan is that they should get a CCIW matchup and not get sent to one of the U-Dubs or Saints.  If EC gets IWU (this is a 35 minute road trip and game that makes a ton of sense if you want a huge crowd) we will have a ballgame.  I could also see North Central as a possibility.  Strength of schedule (235 out of 238) and conference reputation does not help, but 10-0 is 10-0.  This is an EC team that showed well at St. Thomas last year and deserves to test their mettle against a geographically proximate foe out of the CCIW. 

The last time the NACC was competitive in an NCAA playoff game was when 10-0 CUC took on Bethel in 2012. They ended up going for 2 and the win with under a minute left in the game and came up short. I would love to see another 10-0 NACC Champion take that confidence into the playoffs. That year CUC had an explosive offense with Koeher at QB and Maddox at RB, not to mention Jamal Thomas operating out wide like a D3 Brandon Cooks. And the defense was able to make just enough plays to keep the Cougars in it until the end. Eureka's defense looks stout this year, not counting when the game is in the bag and the second unit comes in to get some PT. Reasnover is one of the best the NACC has seen in its decade existence, if not the best; I'd put him up in the top 3 with Borsellino of BU and Copeland of CUC. But in the playoffs, teams are going to force Drew Barth to make plays by stacking the box excessively and keying hard on Reasnover. We haven't had to see it much, but the Red Devil WRs are going to have to be able to beat man-to-man coverage. Hoping to get a closer look at the receiver play this Saturday vs. CUW.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 24, 2018, 02:57:53 PM
I could totally get on board with Eureka as a 7 or a 6 seed depending on who else is in the bracket.

A 6 or 7 seed would be interesting. Would be curious to see which conference draws us for that 1st round match-up. Getting ahead of myself, though. Still 3 weeks left and the de-facto NACC Championship Game less than 48 hours away  ;)
AU Black and Blue

RFMichigan

Yes, I think that Eureka will prevail vs. CUW. Weather doesn't look too bad, although I think a wet field would actually favor Eureka more. Might have to peek in at this game.

Rhythm21

:o Wow, that Eureka v CUW game was absolute insanity from start to finish! Instant NACC Classic. @ecreddevils- Eureka proved that they belong at the top of the NACC. Reasnover gave everything he had, and his game winning TD made my jaw drop, literally. I was so impressed by Eureka's offensive line throughout the entire afternoon; Am I allowed to nominate them for D3 Team of the Week, @Pat Coleman?  ;)
Such an exciting and well-played game by both offenses. Both defenses are going to hate watching the film tomorrow, but they did make some big plays that swung momentum back to their respective offenses. So happy I was able to catch it live.
AU Black and Blue

Ryan Stoppable

Week Nine scores:

Eureka 48 (5-0, 8-0)
Concordia Wisconsin 45 (4-1, 6-2)

Rockford 13 (1-4, 2-6)
Concordia Chicago 41 (1-4, 2-6)

Benedictine 42 (2-3, 2-6)
Lakeland 52 (3-2, 3-5)

Wisconsin Lutheran 0 (1-4, 1-7)
Aurora 43 (3-2, 3-5)

I didn't actually see the big game of this week, so let's take it from someone who did:
Quote from: Rhythm21 on October 27, 2018, 05:29:02 PM
:o Wow, that Eureka v CUW game was absolute insanity from start to finish! Instant NACC Classic. @ecreddevils- Eureka proved that they belong at the top of the NACC. Reasnover gave everything he had, and his game winning TD made my jaw drop, literally. I was so impressed by Eureka's offensive line throughout the entire afternoon; Am I allowed to nominate them for D3 Team of the Week, @Pat Coleman?  ;)
Such an exciting and well-played game by both offenses. Both defenses are going to hate watching the film tomorrow, but they did make some big plays that swung momentum back to their respective offenses. So happy I was able to catch it live.
Le'Anthony Reasnover's individual brilliance proved to be a little bit too much for the Falcons - his 48th carry of the game, and 5th touchdown run (tying his conference record...for the 4th week in a row) with 19 seconds left was decisive, and the Red Devils now have one hand on their second straight playoff berth.

Lakeland in recent weeks has adopted a run-heavy attack of their own, posting 495 yards on the ground in this week's win. (Though Nunnery got hurt late, because God forbid we actually keep a QB healthy this season...) We get our shot at trying to stop Reasnover next week, as he continues his quest to trash the NACC's single season and single game record books - his 1,654 rushing yards and 31 rushing TDs thus far are both conference records as well, quite handily so in the case of the latter. Fans of passing may want to look elsewhere next week. ;D
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

ECFAN$2018

I was at the game.  Reasnover and Nixon put on an offense show for the ages.  Eureka had about the worst start to game I have ever seen, but recovered in the 3rd quarter.  It was a game that made you feel like the team with the ball at the end (and had enough time to score) was going to win the game.  Eureka got the ball with 4:45 and pretty much ate up the clock (17 seconds left for CUW).   Reasnover run to end the game was RIDICULOUS! 

ecreddevils

Quote from: ECFAN$2018 on October 28, 2018, 09:09:56 PM
I was at the game.  Reasnover and Nixon put on an offense show for the ages.  Eureka had about the worst start to game I have ever seen, but recovered in the 3rd quarter.  It was a game that made you feel like the team with the ball at the end (and had enough time to score) was going to win the game.  Eureka got the ball with 4:45 and pretty much ate up the clock (17 seconds left for CUW).   Reasnover run to end the game was RIDICULOUS!

I dare you to show me a more entertaining game at any level on Saturday.  Reasnover deserves All-American First Team consideration, he is truly a generational talent at this level.  Kurt Barth for coach of the year.  EC in the driver's seat now. 

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ecreddevils

Rhythm21

Quote from: ecreddevils on October 31, 2018, 03:27:22 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 31, 2018, 01:58:43 PM
Regional rankings are out: 
http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2018/first-regional-ranking

Great to see EC get some recognition at 10 even with the poor strength of schedule.

Welp, that was short-lived  :o

The biggest news of the day... AU puts a beating down on the Beagles! Serious congratulations to the Spartans for a solid rivalry win!!!

The Lakeland-Eureka result was maybe the worst thing that could've happened for the NACC. Eureka's defense was exposed; Reasnover took a beating with somewhere around 50 carries; Eureka's pass offense is nowhere near good enough to compete in the playoffs. Dissappointed in that final 2-point conversion play call: Reasnover looked gassed all the way back in the 3rd quarter and everyone on the Lakeland D knew he was getting the rock. I'm afraid Reasnover isn't going to have anything left in the tank come playoff time, and Barth and the Red Devil pass game are going to be asked to carry the team.

Big congrats to Lakeland on Senior Day! The defense was... well, Lakeland's defense. But their offense took control of that game, not giving up after falling behind 21-0 with 10:00 left in the 1st quarter. They showed some resiliency and earned that win.
AU Black and Blue

Ryan Stoppable

Week Ten scores:

Eureka 55 (5-1, 8-1)
Lakeland 56 (4-2, 4-5)

Concordia Wisconsin 0 (4-2, 6-3)
Rockford 24 (2-4, 3-6)

Aurora 41 (4-2, 4-5)
Benedictine 24 (2-4, 2-7)

Concordia Chicago 27 (1-5, 2-7)
Wisconsin Lutheran 30 (2-4, 2-7)

First things first, Reasnover is every bit as good as advertised - a combination of relentlessness and ability that few can match. I for one won't be shedding a tear that we won't have to face him again. ;D

Quote from: Rhythm21 on November 03, 2018, 05:25:35 PM
Big congrats to Lakeland on Senior Day! The defense was... well, Lakeland's defense. But their offense took control of that game, not giving up after falling behind 21-0 with 10:00 left in the 1st quarter. They showed some resiliency and earned that win.

No, the Muskie D didn't make a lot of stops, but they made some key ones - forcing a pair of turnovers in the 1st quarter to stop the game from getting completely out of hand, and eventually getting the ball back for the offense late.

And that's without even going into the other games, like Rockford putting a whooping on CUW and Benedictine now having their most losses in a season since 2005. We may not have the best teams in this conference, but it is never boring in the NACC.

But anyways, there is one week to go, and the automatic playoff berth is still to be decided.

• Eureka needs a win over Rockford, which would make them the outright champions, OR an Aurora win would give them the head to head tiebreaker whether or not CUW is involved.
  • Concordia Wisconsin needs a win over WLC AND a Eureka Ioss AND a Lakeland win; CUW, EC and LU would all be 1-1 head to head, each also with a loss to RU, so it would go to H2H point differential: Falcons +14, Red Devils +2, Muskies -16.
  • Lakeland needs a win over Aurora AND Eureka and CUW both to lose; that would leave LU and EC tied, and head to head would send a 5-5 team to the playoffs.

NCAA Appearances

Rhythm21

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on November 05, 2018, 12:38:09 AM
But anyways, there is one week to go, and the automatic playoff berth is still to be decided.

• Eureka needs a win over Rockford, which would make them the outright champions, OR an Aurora win would give them the head to head tiebreaker whether or not CUW is involved.
  • Concordia Wisconsin needs a win over WLC AND a Eureka Ioss AND a Lakeland win; CUW, EC and LU would all be 1-1 head to head, each also with a loss to RU, so it would go to H2H point differential: Falcons +14, Red Devils +2, Muskies -16.
  • Lakeland needs a win over Aurora AND Eureka and CUW both to lose; that would leave LU and EC tied, and head to head would send a 5-5 team to the playoffs.

:o I honestly thought Eureka had the bid wrapped up. +1 Ryan Stoppable for the breakdown.

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on November 05, 2018, 12:38:09 AM

No, the Muskie D didn't make a lot of stops, but they made some key ones - forcing a pair of turnovers in the 1st quarter to stop the game from getting completely out of hand, and eventually getting the ball back for the offense late.

And that's without even going into the other games, like Rockford putting a whooping on CUW and Benedictine now having their most losses in a season since 2005. We may not have the best teams in this conference, but it is never boring in the NACC.

Lakeland's defense always has playmakers that create huge momentum swings for their offense, which is why I've had trouble understanding their inconsistency over the past 5 or so years on that side of the ball. I'm not sure if players are abandoning their responsibilities or not making correct reads or if they don't fit the D-coordinator's scheme. I honestly don't quite know what's been going on. But if they ever get it figured out with the way their offense can explode at a moments notice, Lakeland might be the odds-on favorite to win the NACC for many years to come.

Rockford beating CUW, Lakeland-Eureka thriller, AU-BU rivalry; You are correct, the NACC is anything but boring!
AU Black and Blue

Captain_Joe08

It's finally nice to see RU finally be competitive in the NACC this year for football. That program has come a long way from they had to fight Maranatha (That canned their football program a year or two ago) for their only win. Hopefully they can continue that upward trend.

As for CUW, they started out strong then all of the sudden they have lost two straight heading into the Luther Bowl against WLC. As much as I see CUW reclaiming the Cup over a WLC program that has gone downward over the last few years, I could still see them losing here.

I think EC still walks away with the Auto-Bid. Granted they have been playing with fire the last few weeks and it burned them against LU, but I don't think RU can effectively stop Reasnover enough times to get the W.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on November 06, 2018, 01:09:33 PM
It's finally nice to see RU finally be competitive in the NACC this year for football. That program has come a long way from they had to fight Maranatha (That canned their football program a year or two ago) for their only win. Hopefully they can continue that upward trend.

This is the first time since 2008 they've had multiple conference wins in the same season. And against two teams that will finish above .500 in the league, no less.

NCAA Appearances

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on November 10, 2018, 10:58:11 AM
Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on November 06, 2018, 01:09:33 PM

This is the first time since 2008 they've had multiple conference wins in the same season. And against two teams that will finish above .500 in the league, no less.

And they almost came away with a third against my alma mater.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Ryan Stoppable

With Aurora's OT victory over Lakeland, Eureka has officially clinched the NACC's automatic berth to the playoffs! They will be headed back to the postseason for the 2nd year in a row, though representing a different conference this time.

(They are well on their way to winning their own game as well, which will give them the outright championship.)

NCAA Appearances