Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: baddog on May 07, 2006, 06:34:40 PM
Cowboys lose 2 today and, so, are eliminated. :'(
I guess it was not any big deal beating the "big bats" of MC! :D
Thanks for the update.

TLU hosts UT-D tomorrow.

Warren Thompson

If I were a rabid TLU fan, I'd say "Go Bulldogs." But since I'm not, I'll merely say "Go TLU."  ;)

All_Heart

TLU falters to UTD in the first game 4-3 in 10 innings, but rebounds winning the championship 6-4 to claim their 2nd consecutive ASC championship.  Off the top of my head all-tournament team was:

MVP: Aaron Crais - TLU (2nd straight year)
1B: ???
2B: Brett Rosen -UTD
3B: Scott Matocha - TLU
SS: Jacob Kaase - TLU
OF: Trent Elizondo - UTD
OF: Casey Rehfeld - TLU
OF: Ryan Stepp - HSU
DH: Nick Bird - UTD
DH: Brett Cannon - TLU
P: Daniel Besa - TLU
P: Brian Wallace - TLU
P: Trey Schurr - UTD

Once it's posted I will make corrections, fill in the 1B slot b/c I can't remember.

Congrats to the Bulldogs...

What are the chances of UTD sneaking a Pool C bid?

All_Heart

MVP: Aaron Crais - TLU (2nd straight year) .533, 3 HR, 10 RBI, .600 OBP,
1B: None Selected
SS: Jake Jackson - UTD

LINK (tournament team):
http://www.tlu.edu/athletics/baseball/news/060508_all_tournament%20team.html

STATISTICS:
http://www.tlu.edu/athletics/baseball/news/asc_day4_indiv_stats.doc

Ralph Turner

Quote from: All_Heart on May 08, 2006, 07:55:42 PM
TLU falters to UTD in the first game 4-3 in 10 innings, but rebounds winning the championship 6-4 to claim their 2nd consecutive ASC championship.  Off the top of my head all-tournament team was:

MVP: Aaron Crais - TLU (2nd straight year)
1B: ???

Once it's posted I will make corrections, fill in the 1B slot b/c I can't remember.

Congrats to the Bulldogs...

What are the chances of UTD sneaking a Pool C bid?

Props to TLU!  Go far in the playoffs!

As for UT-D's chances, let's look at the Regional Rankings.  I don't think that UTD has enough quality wins. 

Secondly, I would encourage UT-D to play a tougher non-ASC schedule.  The only D3 game that I saw that looked interesting was one game at Southwetern.

I think that going to California for Chapman or CSU-East Bay or NWC teams like George Fox will help with the Quality of Wins Index.

Next year, maybe UTD can get some teams from Wisconsin or Minnesota to play when they come for spring training.  They will be "in-region" games from geographic region #4.  Next year Austin College will be a another non-ASC opponent.

Tom Brady

Wisconsin or MN?  I really dont see how that would help their non-conference schedule?  Just my thought...  I will post my West-Regional prediction on here shortly....

All_Heart

It's not always easy to get a good tough non-conference schedule.  I know some universities don't have the means to go out West and play teams like Chapman like McMurry did this year. I agree with you about UTD's chances at an at large bid, though they are a good team that would compete well at the regional level.  I know last year ETBU and Hardin-Simmons were both as tough as Linfield and La Verne.  I guess I just wish people would realize how tough the ASC is because since the preseason poll no ASC team has been ranked and it's because it's a tough conference and the teams beat up on each other.  Also, is it not the biggest conference around? 16 teams. 

As far as teams coming down from the North it's tough to get good teams with the exception of Franklin and Marshall, and sometimes St. Olaf it's tough to get very good teams to come to this region.

I think that's why Trinity will always have an advantage in the SCAC because they can play so many tough non-conference opponents from the ASC, but the ASC teams (at least in TX) just have Trinity or for Miss Coll, just Millsaps (and Bellhaven?)  Southwestern has been tough in the past, but not that strong this year - though they did pick up some quality wins early.

Interested to see what you guys think the West regional will look like.  I think it will be a 6 team pool featuring CSU - East Bay, Chapman, Trinity, Texas Lutheran, George Fox and Redlands with Chapman hosting again this year.

Tom Brady

Here is my take on the West Regional...

1. Trinity
2. Chapman
3. Redlands
4. East Bay
5. TLU
6. George Fox

Rirst round games----Fox beats Trinity (you can call me crazy but GF has more experience and I think Trinity is overrated like they always are)
TLU over Chapman- TLU figures out that Klovstad throws nothing but junk and they give him his first L of the year.
East Bay is all over Redlands.  I think Redlands will be in over their head but they still have some pretty good pitching.

I realize these are all upsets (based on the seeds) but this seems to me to be a WIDE OPEN regional.  I honestly think either TLU or East Bay will win it.  Chapman is probably the favorite but they have had 3 pitchers acount for 245 out of 333 Innings (74%) with only 2 guys getting any time out of the bullpen (51 innings, or 15% of the seasons total.  Add that all up and you have 5 pitchers throwing  89% of the innings and too me that is just plain crazy.  There is no way a team can win a 6 team Regional with only 5 pitchers.
I also like East Bay who is coming off of a pretty nice sweep of George Fox.  East Bay has put the hitting a pitching piecec of the puzzle together this year, and they have done A LOT of it on the road.
Well, whatever happens it should be a pretty fun regional.  Maybe a new team from the West will go to Appleton this year........maybe not.

BigPoppa

Chapman is solid, but their 4 and 5 starters concern me. I think they could be in trouble in the expanded regional format. Teams with solid pitching depth will be the ones to survive the weekend.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

All_Heart

I think it's tough to call Trinity overrated this year.  Yes, they have two losses to TLU, but they have a LOT of depth on the mound and a 6 team region format would probably be beneficial to them.  With Huggins, Frey, Bignall, Horn and then the likes of Hopkins, Poffenroth and Bronson they're going to be tough.  That said, I think a lot will depend on Oates.  Oates is a top quality arm (perhaps draftable next year?), but he's been injured since fairly early on.  If he could return to early season form it would be big for Trinity, but they might have a reluctance to use him, and then only in moderation.  And even then, can he throw like he started the season?

They have quite a few seniors on board and freshman SS Ryan Cavan has been instrumental in their success.  People can say what they want, but I think the West Regional has to be one of the TOUGHEST across the board.

BigPoppa

The west is certainly getting tougher. For year, they had no fared well in the World Series and then both Chapman and George Fox won national titles in the past few seasons. It is definitely moving in the right direction.

Anyone know which regions have the most champions... or how many each region has?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on May 09, 2006, 03:38:59 PM
Here is my take on the West Regional...

1. Trinity
2. Chapman
3. Redlands
4. East Bay
5. TLU
6. George Fox

But with all the teams from the west coast, that prolly means Chapman gets to host their fifth straight regional.  That's too bad.

Tom Brady

Ron, I agree that it is too bad if Chapman hosts yet again.  It all comes down to the fact that they have the only facility of the teams playing that could host.  I know Redlands had a really nice park but no lights.  East Bay is not near any of the other schools and why fly 5 teams to Oregon?  I hope they play the West Regional out in San Antonio just so somebody else has a chance to host.  I tell you what, if I was a coach or a player I sure would love playing a Regional at my home park. 

Ralph Turner