BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

My unspoken fear of "not enough arms*" at McMurry is showing itself.

* "You can never be too blonde, too rich or have too much pitching.  -- The Baseball Pundit."

Spence

Quote from: indian4life on February 22, 2008, 12:26:43 AM
Quote from: Spence on February 21, 2008, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 21, 2008, 02:40:04 PM
With the season two weeks into the long run, which teams are surprising you or disappointing you? I am a bit surprised by TLU and their struggles while Texas-Tyler is right where I thought they would be.

Haven't seen it mentioned but Mary Hardin-Baylor is undefeated at 5-0.
With the season two weeks into the long run, which teams are surprising you or disappointing you? I am a bit surprised by TLU and their struggles while Texas-Tyler is right where I thought they would be.

Because 3 of their 5 wins were against teams that a 5A high school team could compete with the other two coming against a declining program in Texas Weslyan and Trinity who is always a challenge an this would be their only quality win.

So that's one more quality win than UT-Tyler has right now?

indian4life

Quote from: Spence on February 22, 2008, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: indian4life on February 22, 2008, 12:26:43 AM

Because 3 of their 5 wins were against teams that a 5A high school team could compete with the other two coming against a declining program in Texas Weslyan and Trinity who is always a challenge an this would be their only quality win.

So that's one more quality win than UT-Tyler has right now?

This is very much true!

CUAfan

CTX 9, UTT 8 in 10 innings ... and here is how the winning run was scored.

In the bottom of the tenth, Concordia's leadoff man singled, then the next batter sac-bunted him to second. Then, Texas-Tyler's coach had his pitcher intentionally walk the next guy...but the pitcher bounced the first intentional ball in the grass and Concordia's runner went to third on the wild pitch. After that intentional walk was done (with another near wild pitch on the fourth ball), the coach called for another IBB to load the bases with one out. The Patriots' pitcher, now free to pitch normally but with his rhythm thrown off, IMO, by the consecutive IBB's, then walks in the winning run on four pitches.

Concordia used 4 pitchers, and UTT used 6. Concordia also left 18 runners on. Yes, 18.
Let's go 'Nados!

Just_Some_Guy

Big game for Chad Thielepape, and a solid job by the CUA pitching staff. Congrats to the Tornadoes on that win (though it doesn't count towards ASC records like their box score indicates.)

How was the zone CUAfan?

I just ask b/c Campbell had walked 1 to 10Ks in in previous two starts.

In retrospect do you think UT Tyler should've stayed with Zeigler rather than go to Wolfe there in the 8th?

JSG

CUAfan

It's hard to say about the zone, as I didn't have a really good angle on it. It did seem a little inconsistent though. I thought it was odd given Campbell's track record this year, but then CTX was making good contact and getting guys on with regularity, so maybe he just had an off-night?

I didn't really have an issue with taking Zeigler out. He'd been in for 3+ innings and his pitch count had to be getting up there, and he did seem to be losing a little, so taking him out made sense. No one thought Wolfe would do as poorly as he did, so IMO it only looks bad in hindsight.

It will be interesting to see how the games today go. If CTX can hang with UTT in both games today, it bodes well for their conference schedule.
Let's go 'Nados!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CUAfan on February 23, 2008, 09:33:31 AM
It will be interesting to see how the games today go. If CTX can hang with UTT in both games today, it bodes well for their conference schedule.
It bodes well now.

The ASC-West is now a five-team race, CTX, HSU, McM, TLU, UMHB (in alphabetical order).

And I saw that SRSU beat a respectable UT-Dallas team.  Holding UT-Dallas to 2 runs either means great SRSU pitching from Jaime Rojo or no UT-Dallas offense.  (We know that pitcher Mark Cox for UT-Dallas is potentially a very good one this year.) 

If SRSU or HPU or Schreiner pick up a hot pitcher, then that just made sweeping the series on a "weak sister" that much harder!

This will be a fun race!

mcm_sid

Just FYI - all staffed home games at McMurry (which is most home games) will be available with live stats.

http://livestats.internetconsult.com/mcmurry/baseball

utilitycat17

Quote from: CUAfan on February 23, 2008, 12:26:29 AM
Then, Texas-Tyler's coach had his pitcher intentionally walk the next guy...but the pitcher bounced the first intentional ball in the grass and Concordia's runner went to third on the wild pitch.

I'm just curious, because its been a while since I played at the college level, but I thought at the college level you didn't actually have to throw the intentional balls.  I thought you just had to declare that you wanted to intentionally walk the batter, and then they could take their base.  If that is the case, then I would say that was a huge oversight by the coach.  But if not, then maybe that is something they should work on in practice.  I know as a former catcher, that I hated dealing with intentional walks because pitchers were notorious for throwing at my feet, and that is tough to deal with when you are standing upright.  I personally think it is something that is easily overlooked in practice, but still necessary, as it can be costly and demoralizing to give up bases and runs over something so seemingly easy as an intentional ball. 

Ralph Turner

McMurry 6, Austin College 1.  Game 1
McMurry 20, Austin College 5. Game 2.

McMurry scored 10 earned runs in the second inning of Game 2, as Curry got the win and Stephens takes the loss for AC.

Spence

Quote from: mcm_sid on February 23, 2008, 01:32:41 PM
Just FYI - all staffed home games at McMurry (which is most home games) will be available with live stats.

Does this include non-McMurry games?

MCM Gangster

McMurry has plenty of arms, just walks are  killing them right now.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MCM Gangster on February 24, 2008, 01:11:32 AM
McMurry has plenty of arms, just walks are  killing them right now.
Greetings McM Gangster!

Welcome to the message boards!

mcm_sid

Quote from: Spence on February 23, 2008, 08:15:14 PM
Quote from: mcm_sid on February 23, 2008, 01:32:41 PM

Does this include non-McMurry games?

Do you mean neutral games at McMurry's site?