MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 04, 2017, 01:11:37 AM
Quote from: Just Bill on May 03, 2017, 05:19:33 PM
I suspect an affiliate member in football is in their future.

Yeah, but who? Finlandia is focused upon getting into the UMAC as a full member, and former NACC member Maranatha Baptist just dropped the sport. That leaves absolutely no independents available for the NACC to add as an associate member for football.

I was actually thinking about that myself. And the only thing I could come up with is that they'd have to get one or more of the UMAC's football associates to jump ship (the former IBFC members?) But that bridge can be crossed when we come to it.

Quote from: AndOne on May 03, 2017, 09:41:40 PMHowever, should the Bennies depart stay, the conference will stand at a nice even 12 members for basketball, barring any additional additions or subtractions. Might we then see a 2 division split, possibly with northern and southern divisions?

If Benedictine is leaving, I don't think it makes sense to go to divisions if they'll have to get rid of them after a year or two. (It would certainly make sense if they stay, with a 6-6 team split along state lines.) But either way, I don't think the NACC would go to a 22 game conference schedule.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on May 04, 2017, 01:36:09 AM
As far as BU moving to D2, it seems that the possibility of it not happening is based on time.
We've been hearing about a reputed move for a couple years, and now it looks like it won't be accomplished for at least a couple more years.

I didn't hear anything about Benedictine moving to D2 until two or three months ago.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Captain_Joe08

Kinda of a no-brainer move here for ITT joining the league. Still think the bigger debate is going to be will the league move back to two divisions in certain sports.

The BU to D2 talk is interesting but I can't see it happening at the present time. Would put football at disadvantage especially with the scheduling agreement the league has with the MIAA.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

blue_jays

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on May 04, 2017, 08:58:29 AM
Kinda of a no-brainer move here for ITT joining the league. Still think the bigger debate is going to be will the league move back to two divisions in certain sports.

The BU to D2 talk is interesting but I can't see it happening at the present time. Would put football at disadvantage especially with the scheduling agreement the league has with the MIAA.

Their president is making it a priority to make the D2 move. It's gonna happen. If it falls apart, it won't be from a lack of trying.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: blue_jays on May 04, 2017, 09:51:50 AM
Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on May 04, 2017, 08:58:29 AM

Their president is making it a priority to make the D2 move. It's gonna happen. If it falls apart, it won't be from a lack of trying.

Kinda wondering what the motivation to move to D2 from the president is all about.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Gregory Sager

It's all speculation, but I suspect that it's a combination of: 1) the president of BU believing that D2 membership could raise the school's local profile (which I doubt would actually happen, but it's a plausible theory); 2) Benedictine having the quality facilities necessary to both entice the GLVC to offer it membership and to attract D2-caliber student-athletes; 3) the fact that, since Chicagoland is underserved in terms of D2 institutions (the only one is Lewis, way out in Romeoville), BU will enjoy a great recruiting niche at that level; and 4) the CCIW's intransigence -- that league is never going to admit BU as a member in a million years, no matter how hard the Bennies keep knocking on the door.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Just Bill

http://benueagles.com/news/2017/4/4/general-benedictine-to-explore-ncaa-dii-transition.aspx

They believe, based on consultants and research, that they will actually save money because a large number of student-athletes are more likely to take (for example) a $4,000 athletic scholarship than a $8,000 academic scholarship. Based on what I've seen over the years, I tend to believe them.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

I wasn't aware of that research, but that would be a powerful fifth incentive to move to D2, along with the other four I've named.

(I was amused by that BU press release back when I initially read it, because it said that Benedictine has been a member of D3 since a decade before D3 was actually created. Quite far-seeing, those Bennies. ;))

blue_jays

Quote from: Just Bill on May 04, 2017, 02:58:51 PM
http://benueagles.com/news/2017/4/4/general-benedictine-to-explore-ncaa-dii-transition.aspx

They believe, based on consultants and research, that they will actually save money because a large number of student-athletes are more likely to take (for example) a $4,000 athletic scholarship than a $8,000 academic scholarship. Based on what I've seen over the years, I tend to believe them.

Some of the associated math/reasoning I've heard is pretty suspect. If they're going to rely on athletes to take up a higher percentage of their student body, they'll likely have to build more facilities to accommodate them, and any cost savings gets swallowed up and then some when capital projects are involved. Nothing puts institutions in financial straits faster than buildings that they have trouble paying off...

Just Bill

I think they can fill a recruiting niche in Chicago. They can provide an attractive landing spot that falls between mid-level D-I's Loyola/DePaul/UIC and the Chicagoland D-III schools.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Just Bill

Edgewood announces 11 recruits...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/prep-boys-basketball-area-state-players-choose-edgewood-college/article_50d1d873-5936-5b60-81cd-1cbab8595163.html

Ryan Buss, Green Bay Preble, 6-foot- 6 forward
Drew Freitag, Beloit Memorial, 5-11 guard
Jake Graf, Brookfield East, 6-0 guard
Caleb Hill, Iowa-Grant, 6-1 guard
Caleb Holzman, Howards Grove, 6-5 forward
Nick Lynch, Janesville Craig, 6-3 guard
Jake Negus, Janesville Craig, 6-1 guard
Will Schwartz, Darlington, 6-2 guard
Ben Seefeld, Hartland Arrowhead, 6-5 forward
Noah Wand, Shullsburg, 6-4 forward
Jack Warrick, Mineral Point, 6-6 forward

Greek Tragedy

Big loss for the Muskies as it's been reported on the CCIW board that leading scorer Brandon James is transferring to North Central.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Stoppable

Benedictine has won at least a share of the last 3 NACC regular season titles, but if the head coaches and SIDs are to be believed, we could see a changing of the guard atop The standings this year.

2017-18 NACC Men's Basketball Preseason Poll
1. Aurora (16), 232
2. Concordia Wisconsin (4), 210
3. Benedictine (2), 205
4. Wisconsin Lutheran, 176
5. MSOE, 135
6. Dominican, 119
7. Marian, 108
8. Lakeland, 84
9. Edgewood, 81
10. Rockford, 62
11. Concordia Chicago, 40

Should be an interesting season for the Muskies. Don't know if we can expect too much in terms of wins and losses this year, but with a new head coach and opportunities for guys to step up (especially with James having transferred), one thing it should not be is boring.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

gordonmann

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: gordonmann on October 27, 2017, 06:21:53 PM
Wow, Aurora by a comfortable margin.

I think that was anticipated. Aurora basically returns everyone. Benedictine loses their Big 3 and Concordia loses Kittel.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!