MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

PLU-Linfield had a halftime score of 18-16...enjoy your eastern Washington road trip...

(509)Rat

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 07, 2016, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on January 07, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
The real question is what do you do with your next top 25 if everyone keeps winning in the top 5? Does Elmhurst move up to 1 for beating Augustana even though the rest of their schedule is even weaker than Whitworth's?

??? Says who?

The record of the teams Whitworth had beat (d3 opponents against d3 competition) at the time of my post = 48-63

The record of the teams Elmhurst had beat (prior to Augustana as stated in my original post) = 41-70

Both had only beat 3 teams with winning records.

So yeah, Elmhurst had an even less impressive resume than Whitworth leading up to the Augustana win.

(509)Rat

Whitworth beat Pacific 62-50. I suspect Whitman will have an easy time with the Boxers tonight. Valle scored 2 points on 1-13 shooting, but when you can hold a team to 50 points it doesn't really matter how cold one of your top scorers is that night. Willamette and George Fox next weekend...

HoopsCoachG

Quote from: (509)Rat on January 09, 2016, 02:20:52 PM
I suspect Whitman will have an easy time with the Boxers tonight.

I am going to disagree with you Rat. I think Pacific will give Whitman problems tonight. The Boxers are extremely physical. If the refs let them play like they did last night, it could be interesting. Whitworth's composure played a big part in the win last night. They did not let what they could not control affect what they could.  I can see Whitman letting the physicality get to them. Should be interesting!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: (509)Rat on January 09, 2016, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 07, 2016, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on January 07, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
The real question is what do you do with your next top 25 if everyone keeps winning in the top 5? Does Elmhurst move up to 1 for beating Augustana even though the rest of their schedule is even weaker than Whitworth's?

??? Says who?

The record of the teams Whitworth had beat (d3 opponents against d3 competition) at the time of my post = 48-63

The record of the teams Elmhurst had beat (prior to Augustana as stated in my original post) = 41-70

Both had only beat 3 teams with winning records.

So yeah, Elmhurst had an even less impressive resume than Whitworth leading up to the Augustana win.

I'm not sure that you're tracking with my objection. In this sentence:

Quote from: (509)Rat on January 07, 2016, 03:54:42 PMDoes Elmhurst move up to 1 for beating Augustana even though the rest of their schedule is even weaker than Whitworth's?

... the words "rest of their schedule" seem to imply that you're referring to Elmhurst's remaining games, not EC's already played games, especially because you used the present tense verb "is" rather than the past tense verb "was'. And, while it would seem counterintuitive to base a Top 25 ballot upon what remains on the schedule rather than what's already been played, D-Mac has tipped his hand on Hoopsville that he bases his vote, in part, on conference strength. That's one of his arguments for not putting Benedictine above Elmhurst.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

(509)Rat

Quote from: HoopsCoachG on January 09, 2016, 04:09:31 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on January 09, 2016, 02:20:52 PM
I suspect Whitman will have an easy time with the Boxers tonight.

I am going to disagree with you Rat. I think Pacific will give Whitman problems tonight. The Boxers are extremely physical. If the refs let them play like they did last night, it could be interesting. Whitworth's composure played a big part in the win last night. They did not let what they could not control affect what they could.  I can see Whitman letting the physicality get to them. Should be interesting!

When you make less than 30% of your free throws like last night, I guess you pray the refs don't call fouls that would send you to the line.

(509)Rat

Whitman up 67-44 on Pacific with 13 min left in the game

D O.C.

(509)Rat

Here's the mostly unexpected results from this weekend...

Jan 8
UPS 87        Willamette 54
Linfield 53    PLU 51
Whitw 62     Pacific 50
GF 77          L&C 73

Jan 9
Whitm 91     Pacific 74
GF 82          PLU 74
L&C 76        UPS 69
Will 70         Linfield 68

and the conference standings which don't make any sense after 1-2
Whitworth   4-0
Whitman     3-1
George Fox  2-2
Pacific         2-2
PLU            2-2
UPS            2-2
L&C            1-3
Linfield       1-3
Willamette  1-3

HoopsCoachG

First to admit I was wrong about the Whitman- Pacific game. It does not matter how physical you are when you commit 26 turnovers and give up 36 points on them!

blackhawks4

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 31, 2015, 05:24:07 PM
I am quite comfortable with Whitworth in my top five (they will fluctuate along with every one else I suspect for the rest of the season).

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 31, 2015, 05:24:07 PM
I think PLU may be the surprise of the season and don't be shocked to see them in the NCAA tournament this season. I will actually seriously consider them for the Top 25 after watching them this week in Vegas.

blackhawks4

Watched both Pacific games.  WW really struggled with Pacific's athleticism down low.  The half-court pace of that game actually benefited Pacific. The Boxers blocked and altered a lot of shots.  That was Pacific's one chance--WW will mop the floor with them in Spokane.

The WMN-Pacific game wasn't even as close as the 17 point final score.  WMN had a huge advantage catching them on the second night.

The only remaining question in my head going forward, is "can WMN go perfect through the rest of the conference?"  The Tacoma road trip, and @ LC are the three big ones. 

I think WMN beats WW at home.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on January 10, 2016, 10:19:16 AM
Whitworth   4-0
Whitman     3-1
George Fox  2-2
Pacific         2-2
PLU            2-2
UPS            2-2
L&C            1-3
Linfield       1-3
Willamette  1-3

FTFY
Whitworth   4-0
Whitman     3-1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(509)Rat

(509)Rat

Whitworth #1  ;D

Anyone heard from blackhawks? I'm worried he's stroked out somewhere...