MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringSt7

Quote from: middhoops on February 14, 2020, 09:27:21 PM

Who among you is going to lay out the scenario for tomorrow's games impact on the opening round of the conference tourney?

Assuming Amherst, Trinity, and Middlebury all finish at 7-3, I think it will be Middlebury who gets the three seed because of their win against Tufts, followed by Trinity at 4 and Amherst at 5 due to head to head. This is obviously very unlikely but if Amherst loses to Conn and Williams beats Tufts, it will be the Ephs at 5 and Amherst at 6 because they'll both be 6-4.

If you want to see in depth breakdown on the 7-10 seeding I posted one on Wednesday night. But basically if all 4 finish at 3-7, which is not all that unlikely, Bates and Bowdoin go through.

Colby Hoops

Quote from: SpringSt7 on February 14, 2020, 10:10:44 PM

Who among you is going to lay out the scenario for tomorrow's games impact on the opening round of the conference tourney?

Assuming Amherst, Trinity, and Middlebury all finish at 7-3, I think it will be Middlebury who gets the three seed because of their win against Tufts, followed by Trinity at 4 and Amherst at 5 due to head to head. This is obviously very unlikely but if Amherst loses to Conn and Williams beats Tufts, it will be the Ephs at 5 and Amherst at 6 because they'll both be 6-4.

If you want to see in depth breakdown on the 7-10 seeding I posted one on Wednesday night. But basically if all 4 finish at 3-7, which is not all that unlikely, Bates and Bowdoin go through.

Trinity will have beaten both Amherst and Midd, so the first tiebreaker is h2h amongst the group. Trinity will be 2-0 and get the #3 seed I believe. Amherst is 1-1 so will get the #4 seed.

Bucket

Quote from: SpringSt7 on February 14, 2020, 10:10:44 PM

Actually I think if all teams end up at 7-3, then it would be Trinity 3, Amherst 4, Midd 5. With 3 teams with the same record, you go to head to head first. Both Trinity and Amherst beat Midd, and then Trinity beat Amherst. Thus they win the tiebreaker, followed by Amherst.

Panthers need to win tomorrow and hope for a Hamilton win over the Bantams for Midd to have a home game in the quarters. At least that's the way I understand it.

Pretty crazy to think that Midd could go into next weekend as the top-ranked team in the Northeast, but the 5th seed in the conference tournament.

SpringSt7

Forgot Trinity beat Middlebury as well! My bad.

nescac1

Thanks Colby Hoops, really illuminating.  I hope Jefferson is OK, after playing so well for four years would be a shame to miss his first NCAA opportunity.  If Colby can have their eight guys they will be really tough.  But Jefferson is really key. 

At this point, I think Colby and Midd have to be Pool C locks. The loss to Trinity probably knocks Amherst out given their spot in the regional rankings.  Tufts needs one more win in its next two to feel secure.  Amherst, Trinity or Williams could easily win the league tourney, especially Trinity, which has been on fire lately.  Might be playing the best of anyone in Nescac right now!  But otherwise, a three bid league. 

Old Guy

Apologies - it was Old Guy complaining about Strahorn in the past and I recalled incorrectly.
[/quote]

I don't think so. I don't ever remember "complaining about Strahorn." I did go to the Midd-Colby game at Colby last year, and I am old, and might have forgotten. I can assure you it's not an attitude I have. Now Whitmore, that's another matter. I saw him play for Bowdoin (vs Bates) and saw some spectacular explosions at Middlebury over the years, but don't recall ever recalling posting anything about Strahorn. Could be wrong though (suffer in my dotage from CRS (Can't Remember . . . Stuff). Think it was someone else though.

maineman

If Midd wins today vs Bates they're likely to be a 5th seed in the NESCAC tournament and play at Trinity.  I believe that with their win against Tufts, their resume will be strong enough, even with a quarter final loss to the Bantams, to get a Pool C bid.

Bucket

Quote from: maineman on February 15, 2020, 08:33:02 AM
If Midd wins today vs Bates they're likely to be a 5th seed in the NESCAC tournament and play at Trinity.  I believe that with their win against Tufts, their resume will be strong enough, even with a quarter final loss to the Bantams, to get a Pool C bid.

All depends on Trinity result. Midd wins and Trinity loses, and Midd is 4th and would host the Bantams.

If Trinity wins, then Midd is 5th—but would play at Amherst. A Trinity win vs Hamilton would net them the 3rd seed.

Whatever the case, with a win today, Midd would probably enter next weekend as the top ranked team in the NE. (Panthers were second in this week's ranking behind Tufts.) A loss in the quarters, as you say, would not drop them far enough in the rankings to preclude Midd from a Pool C bid. They'd be safely in the field.

One game at a time, though.

Beat Bates!

JEFFFAN

What a strange season it has been for Grant Robinson.   He played 28 minutes yesterday but only scored six points and appeared to be sort of an after-thought in the game.   One can only surmise that injuries have dramatically impacted his season as he is too talented a player to have disappeared like this for any other reason.

Cards Fan

https://youtu.be/wswbX7F_DWk

Watch the INSANE final sequence from the Middlebury vs Bates game, punching Bates ticket to the playoffs!

mathteacherjedi

Williams just beat Tufts.

nescac1

Tremendous Ephs win on senior night, Williams put on a defensive clinic this weekend.  More thoughts on that later, but wow, that Midd  / Bates ending ... Bates had the ball with 13 seconds left in a tie game, missed a shot, Farrell pushed the ball very fast off the rebound, he stumbled (looked like either a foul or a travel, most likely a travel, to me, but no call), Bates snags the ball, and Nick Gilpin, not really known as a shooter but having a monster game, nails the three to win it at the buzzer.  Wow!  Wild finish. 

I think, 1-8, absolutely anything can happen in the NESCAC tourney.  On any given night, we've seen all season long, anyone can beat anyone.  Should be wild. 

Cards Fan

A Bowdoin win confirms Bowdoin and Bates moving into to the playoffs. A Bowdoin loss pushes Hamilton and Bates. Bates has the 7 seed no matter what.

7express

So....if Hamilton hangs onto beat Trinity, the 8 team field won't be set until after Bowdoin/Wesleyan game tomorrow afternoon correct??  However, if the Bantams win, than the Bowdoin/Wes game doesn't matter because Bowdoin would get the last spot.  Does that sound about right??

old_hooper

The way it looks as far as seeding:
1. Tufts
2. Colby
3. Amherst
4. Trinity
5. Midd
6. Williams
7. Bates
8. Hamilton or Bowdin (need to beat Wes tomorrow)