Author Topic: FB: Ohio Athletic Conference  (Read 5053114 times)

Offline Craft_Beermeister

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Ohio Athletic Conference
« Reply #51660 on: July 15, 2017, 10:00:23 am »
I have confidence in Davis because the staff clearly has confidence in him.  He went out and won that job.  He did not play well in those games, but we're talking about a freshman carrying the expectations of being the Mount Union QB on his shoulders.  That's a lot to ask of him (or any frosh).  To me the true test is how he handles it this year.  Those jitters need to be gone now.  I expect to see much more consistent QB play regardless of which one of them is in there.  I was impressed at times by each of those kids (Davis, Poorman, Taitt, Fulford).

All of the QBs are good and should be much improved this year.  Luke Poorman is the one I expect to move to front of the pack.

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #51661 on: July 15, 2017, 11:24:53 am »
I was impressed with Poorman's accuracy.  The biggest question mark I had with him was how important does the staff view running ability?  Davis appeared to be the best of the trio running the read option if that's in the plan going forward.  Each guy had different strengths so it'll be fun to see who did the most to address their weaknesses in the offseason. 

Offline Craft_Beermeister

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51662 on: July 15, 2017, 02:42:09 pm »
I was impressed with Poorman's accuracy.  The biggest question mark I had with him was how important does the staff view running ability?  Davis appeared to be the best of the trio running the read option if that's in the plan going forward.  Each guy had different strengths so it'll be fun to see who did the most to address their weaknesses in the offseason.

I agree that's they all of various different strengths that can be leveraged to success in 2017.  My bet is on the one that LK invested the most time and effort recruiting.

Offline Kira & Jaxon's Dad

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • MTU Football
« Reply #51663 on: July 15, 2017, 08:55:48 pm »

I agree that's they all of various different strengths that can be leveraged to success in 2017.  My bet is on the one that LK invested the most time and effort recruiting.

If that is true, why didn't he regain the top spot last year once he was healthy again?
National Champions - 12:  1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015

Offline rscl70

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #51664 on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:57 am »

If that is true, why didn't he regain the top spot last year once he was healthy again?

By the time he was healthy again it was very late in the season.  Davis had been running the team well for a long time and the other players were comfortable with him.  I suspect it has a great deal to do with the old adage "don't switch horses in the middle of a stream."

49-35= 12

Offline ITH radio

• All-Conference
  • Join us each Sunday at 7:30 PM
    • View Profile
    • Season VI of ITH
« Reply #51665 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:08 am »
It seemed to be that Davis didn't necessarily  "win" the job but the injuries at QB forced Coach K to go with the "next man up" and fortunately for Mt fans, most next men up on the Raiders roster are bona fide starters. I think Davis did well and is clearly a running threat, but he obviously struggled - like FY are going to do - in a couple of big games.

The good news is that the QB competition and the returning team coming back makes Mt a clear preseason favorite like every other year. I kind of agree with Pat they deserve a preseason 1 vote (vs. the old defending champs get the automatic 1 philosophy).

Will be interested to see how it plays out.
Follow us on twitter @ITHuddLLe

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #51666 on: July 25, 2017, 10:48:03 am »
In the least surprising news of the summer Chuck Moore was selected to be inducted into the M Club HOF in his first year of eligibility.  I think that in honor of that Ric should return and post that audio highlight of the 95 yard score in Salem!  I enjoy Sam Bourquin, but I do miss Ric on the mic.  And I guess that other guy too...   ;D

Offline Sherburne

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51667 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:19 am »
In the least surprising news of the summer Chuck Moore was selected to be inducted into the M Club HOF in his first year of eligibility.  I think that in honor of that Ric should return and post that audio highlight of the 95 yard score in Salem!  I enjoy Sam Bourquin, but I do miss Ric on the mic.  And I guess that other guy too...   ;D
Doc,
You've sure got that right! Ric, please!
Sherb

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #51668 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:56 am »
Not the call you'd probably prefer, but I have mine and Keith's handy:
http://www.d3football.com/audio/sb29/mooretd95.mp3
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline section13raiderfan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51669 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »
Was that the play where Chuck was tearing down the field and all of a sudden Pierre Garcon runs past him to throw a block?😀😂👍 Chucks fast....but Peirres real fast! GREAT memory for me. Chucks a slam dunk if there ever was one for the M CLUB.

Offline Sherburne

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51670 on: July 26, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
Was that the play where Chuck was tearing down the field and all of a sudden Pierre Garcon runs past him to throw a block?😀😂👍 Chucks fast....but Peirres real fast! GREAT memory for me. Chucks a slam dunk if there ever was one for the M CLUB.
section13,
I'm 'almost' certain you are correct. Whenever, wherever that play occurred, with GarÁon blowing by Chuck Moore was mind boggling. Thanks!

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #51671 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:15 am »
Stumbled across this OAC preview on Twitter.  It's written by ONU student Grant Pepper.  While I of course disagree with his predictions I tip my cap for writing it.  Those previews take some real time and homework.  I applaud a student taking the time to do so.

OAC preview

p.s. What would the odds be on Mount actually finishing 3rd in the OAC?  I don't think even HScoach or mr. mom would touch that one!

Offline wally_wabash

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Wally on the Twitter
« Reply #51672 on: July 27, 2017, 11:31:29 am »
Stumbled across this OAC preview on Twitter.  It's written by ONU student Grant Pepper.  While I of course disagree with his predictions I tip my cap for writing it.  Those previews take some real time and homework.  I applaud a student taking the time to do so.

OAC preview

p.s. What would the odds be on Mount actually finishing 3rd in the OAC?  I don't think even HScoach or mr. mom would touch that one!

Zero.  He's a year behind trying to build ONU optimism on a foundation of UMU "rebuilding".  I'm not sure I see many credible arguments for Mount Union not being an overwhelming OAC favorite in 2017. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ďThe O line has proven they can block some of the best in the conference and I can't wait to see what they do on Saturday." Matt Hunt, DePauw Quarterback, Sacked 5 times in the 121st Monon Bell Classic

Offline Dr. Acula

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #51673 on: July 27, 2017, 12:00:10 pm »
I'm still bullish on JCU so I'd say I could see either way on Mount and JCU, but I think those two are the clear favorites.  I certainly can't see ONU beating Mount.  Williams is a nice RB, but they just don't have the horses elsewhere to pull that off.  He's correct in pointing out that Mitchell was a huge part of the 2016 offense and he's gone.  But how much of that was forced by the QB situation last year?  You had freshmen QB's and a productive senior RB who, despite his size, just did not fumble the football.  Any coach would lean heavily on the RB there. 

I think Mount's D should be significantly improved (no secret to anyone who watched the final game against UMHB).  The return of Charlie Dear at MLB is huge.  They have to replace Mitchell, Kennedy and a couple very good O linemen, but I don't see any of those things as cause for concern.

I'm glad Pepper wrote it because it gives us something to talk about while we painstakingly wait until camp starts! 

Offline Sir Battlescars

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51674 on: July 27, 2017, 01:25:37 pm »
2017 is going to be a great year for OAC football! I agree with a lot of what Grant Peppers has to say and enjoyed reading his thoughts and predictions about the upcoming season. It couldnít have showed up at a better time, as I was just starting to get that itch for some D3 football. So now that Mount Unionís 24 year dominance over the OAC has finally come to an end, it will be interesting to see if the Coaches and Media polls will look anything like Mr. Peppers predictions. I personally think this will be the most exciting season for the OAC since 1994 when there was a three way tie for 1st.

Itís nice having three, four, and possibly five OAC schools with a legitimate chance of winning the conference this year for a change.
2014 NCAC Football Pick 'Em Champion!!