FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob.Gregg

Obviously, writer dealing with two teams with bit players making HUGE contributions, missed on the W&J kicker's name.  Been there, done that.

Maricio Garibay's 46-yard kick knuckled, hit the crossbar, bounced over giving W&J a 31-28 lead with less than a minute to play.  It was the 5th longest FG in school history. 

Interesting note, Garibary lost his place-kicking job in the Westminster game, struggling to hit PATs.  Josh Hnat missed a late field goal attempt, then hit the PAT in OT with what proved to be the winning point when Westminter's two-point pass play was broken up in the endzone.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: HScoach on November 20, 2017, 09:15:30 PM
If Case can possess the ball and not get beaten over the top, they could hang with Mount for a while.  The Mount O has good overall numbers, but it's not consistent.   Lots of big plays and lots of 3 and outs.  Very little in between.

There's also usually an adjustment period for a team in their first game against Mount Union.... maybe Kevin Burke helps CWRU prepare for that, maybe not? 

The key to me is the first 10 minutes of the game. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

raiderpa

The key adjustment for most teams that meet Mount Union is the speed of the game.  Mount has superior speed at most positions,  i.e..LB, DB, WR...
Most teams have some speed at certain positions, but Mount's overall speed is very difficult to match and usually is only matched by few teams, later in the playoffs.
The three Mount receivers are all burners with great hands and the Linebackers can keep up with the wideouts at most schools.

Bob.Gregg

I've tried to be a good little boy all fall long.
Then, in the span of a week, I get smitten like FOUR times.....

Damn, haven't even really had that much to SMITE about, 'cept maybe for the little thing about "how much stupidity fits in 40 seconds of the Academic Bowl".....LOL
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

DagarmanSpartan

Gang,

Over on the OAC board, a few people have pointed out that MU's usual starting QB is not on their two deep for the game.

Given the sheer depth in MU's program, that won't necessarily help us much, but I can't help but think that their offense may be down just a bit.

If a backup starts, then we need to blitz, blitz, blitz until he shows he can handle it.

jamtod

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on November 21, 2017, 11:52:06 AM
Gang,

Over on the OAC board, a few people have pointed out that MU's usual starting QB is not on their two deep for the game.

Given the sheer depth in MU's program, that won't necessarily help us much, but I can't help but think that their offense may be down just a bit.

If a backup starts, then we need to blitz, blitz, blitz until he shows he can handle it.

Per Pat and updated game notes, this was apparently a "typo" and has been changed. Fulford now listed as starter.

ADL70

FWIW  Burke also listed as starter (Jacob that is)
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

HScoach

Quote from: ADL70 on November 21, 2017, 01:28:19 PM

Wow.   I thought for a second that Kevin was suiting up to play QB ???
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

ADL70

Quote from: HScoach on November 21, 2017, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: ADL70 on November 21, 2017, 01:28:19 PM

Wow.   I thought for a second that Kevin was suiting up to play QB ???

But for which team?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

WRMUalum13

If Case can possess the ball and not get beaten over the top, they could hang with Mount for a while.  The Mount O has good overall numbers, but it's not consistent.   Lots of big plays and lots of 3 and outs.  Very little in between.

Great point HS coach, to add to that id say if that an early indicator of success for the Case defense will be preventing those bigger plays on 1st and 2nd down. Of all the statistical categories Mounts offense impresses in 3rd down conversion percentage is not their best attribute and Case has one of the best 3rd down Ds in the country.

E.115

From Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Mount Union and Case Western Reserve: Two remarkable football programs

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/11/mount_union_case_western_two_r.html

HScoach

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on November 22, 2017, 02:13:50 PM

Great point HS coach, to add to that id say if that an early indicator of success for the Case defense will be preventing those bigger plays on 1st and 2nd down. Of all the statistical categories Mounts offense impresses in 3rd down conversion percentage is not their best attribute and Case has one of the best 3rd down Ds in the country.

For reference last week against W&L, Mount was 0 of 8 on 3rd down.  Big-time explosives, but not grind it out consistent.

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: HScoach on November 22, 2017, 03:02:21 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on November 22, 2017, 02:13:50 PM

For reference last week against W&L, Mount was 0 of 8 on 3rd down.  Big-time explosives, but not grind it out consistent.

How much of the lack of success do you think lies in the fact Mount has a new OC who's spent most (if not all) of his coaching years on the defensive side of the ball? 
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

HScoach

I think it's more about the average O-line and RB's.  Plus the QB has shown better accuracy on the deep ball than he has on hitting a 7 yard out on 3rd down.  Wierd season offensively.

E.115

Both W&J and CWRU have, by complete consensus, been picked not to advance this Saturday:

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2017/11/24/quick-hits-take-on-second-round-scores/

Good luck to the PAC.