FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foss

DOC w/ one of his best and longest posts ever? Usually it's a one or two liner that contains a mini-puzzle to solve.

Regarding the 'Cats wins over UMHB, oddly enough I thought the 2014 playoff game at the CRUthedral where we were ranked #10 and UMHB #2 was the biggest talent gap in our favor for a game we won. Riddle seemed to throw whenever and wherever he wanted that game and the Crusaders seemed helpless to stop him. And UMHB's best O that day was their punter. We kept stopping them, and then their punter ran for 3-4 1st downs. Even w/ that, we had almost twice as many 1st downs and controlled the time of possession. I thought the final score wasn't indicative of how much better we were than UMHB. That was the only time we've played them when I thought we were decisively better.

A lot of fun games against the Cru, win or lose, except for the beatdown early last year.
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

Foss

Quote from: wildcat11 on November 22, 2017, 11:31:35 AM
Quote from: (509)Rat on November 22, 2017, 10:15:03 AM
Quote from: Kelly Boggs on November 22, 2017, 07:22:39 AM
DO.C,

You left out the first meeting between the Brett Elliot led Cats and The CRU in the 2004 Stagg Bowl. The Wildcats won 28-21. I would argue it was by far the toughest game for Linfield that season. The Cats were dominate that year. That Linfield team had one of the most explosive offenses I have ever seen. I was living in McMinnville at the time and saw every home game that season.

Whitworth and UWSP were the only other teams to even give them a game that year. The Butcher was the real deal.

The UWSP game was huge because we lost our starting Tight End that game and started to go with our four wide outs (Allan, Carter, McKecknie, Hazenberg) and never looked back.  Joel Clark had a pretty darn good day at the 'Catdome in 2004 too.

All 61 of Brett's TD passes in 2004: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxHhcCW_78

That was a fun one. Worth the trip.
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

Foss

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on November 22, 2017, 12:28:40 PM
Hazenberg was my favorite on that 2004 team. He was a football player and played wherever he was needed. He was an absolute kamikaze on punt returns.

Still remember him playing both ways almost the entire 2005 game, when UWW beat us by 3. We needed help w/ their great WRs, so we put one of our best athletes on them. All around great player.

Kelly Boggs

UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

D O.C.

Foss...I must be exhausted from last night's post. I don't recollect
Quoteso we put one of our best athletes on them. All around great player.

I DO remember Berkowitz doing that with Stanley on Allen in that "no running game" WW playoff game that got them over the hurdle.

RFB

Linfield  17
UMHB   14

Defensive slugfest in Belton on Saturday. Happy Thanksgiving you filthy animals!

D O.C.

They're licking their paws right now.

DChicks

Quote from: wildcat11 on November 22, 2017, 11:31:35 AM
All 61 of Brett's TD passes in 2004: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxHhcCW_78
I remember that first TD against Oxy. It was the first offensive play of the game by Linfield, and we started every game with a run play (everyone knew we could pass, so we wanted to prove we could run too). I looked down and saw that expanse of open space (all 11 defenders were within 5 yards of the line) and thought that we should throw it deep. He did and the rest was history.

D O.C.

Ha! I remember that OXY "strategy".
No one could figure out why in Hades they would do that and we're still laughing.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: RFB on November 22, 2017, 02:22:25 PM
Linfield  17
UMHB   14

Defensive slugfest in Belton on Saturday. Happy Thanksgiving you filthy animals!
why are you jinxing us RFB?
Go Cats!

Foss

Quote from: D O.C. on November 22, 2017, 02:08:56 PM
Foss...I must be exhausted from last night's post. I don't recollect
Quoteso we put one of our best athletes on them. All around great player.

I DO remember Berkowitz doing that with Stanley on Allen in that "no running game" WW playoff game that got them over the hurdle.

I must be a bit exhausted myself. That reference was to the UWW (not UMHB) game in 2005 you nicely mentioned for me.  :) I went and fixed that.

Between the UWW & UMHB games, there have been some dandies. I am still haunted by not being able to ground out one final 1st down against UWW in 2005.

RFB

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 22, 2017, 04:03:17 PM
Linfield  17
UMHB   14

No jinx. I'm a believer after watching Linfield's defense last week.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: RFB on November 22, 2017, 04:14:40 PM
Linfield  17
UMHB   14

im just saying you haven't been the best prognosticator this year...
Go Cats!

D O.C.

RFB

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 22, 2017, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: RFB on November 22, 2017, 04:14:40 PM
Linfield  17
UMHB   14

im just saying you haven't been the best prognosticator this year...

Fine MC. Linfield 21, UMHB 14. Feel free to quit crying now.