Posters' Poll

Started by Mr. Ypsi, January 06, 2006, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Like pick em leagues, you'll get a bunch to "play" the first couple of weeks and then you'll see a drop off.  I could see doing a Top 15 or 20 and then use the "others receiving votes" to make it 25.  

Obviously this is just for fun, but yeah, you need consistent voters.

I would definitely post the Posters Top 25 or whatever after Pat's poll, so you don't upstage it or anything!  :D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ralph Turner

Mr Ypsi,

Now let's think this one through.

Those 50+ essays of college kids is just mindless drivel that they probably have plagiarized off an obscure web site. You have seen the same stuff for decades!

The intellectual effort that we D3 posters will place on these polls is vastly greater!  We, the assembled pollsters, represent the collective genius of the finest institutions of higher education in America.

Then consider voting on 20 places.  I really am not interested in whom someone thinks is the 24th best team.  There are plenty of those teams receving votes in the Pat's poll and his system is automatically tabulated.

Those "RV's" will be eliminated after the first round anyway! ;)

Mr. Ypsi

I'm not real worried about upstaging Pat's poll!  And I certainly hope that he is not worried about it either! ;D

While I HOPE all voters are serious about their ballots, this is for fun, not mention in the NY Times!  (Though differences from the d3hoops.com poll may well lead to interesting conversations!)

[In the interests of continuity, I'm not letting anyone in after the second ballot.  I've appealed to people NOT to post unless they INTEND to post every week.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what I can do - I HOPE we won't have a drastic drop-off.  It's not like if they definitely MUFFED most of their picks!  IF we do, and if I have the time and energy, I'll try to post updatd results with only the REGULAR posters included.  But, based on the info I got from YOU, I doubt that will be necessary - they all seem like dependable folks!]

Mr. Ypsi

OK!

OS and Ralph, you win!  I'll score all entries as though they are top 25, but posters are free to submit between 15 and 25 teams!

Jeez, is it THAT difficult to say Elmhurst (after losing at home to Millikin) is only the 25th best team! ;D

But, last warning, any more rebellions from the minions and I quit! ;) ;D :P

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 06, 2006, 11:58:07 PM
Mr Ypsi,

Those 50+ essays of college kids is just mindless drivel that they probably have plagiarized off an obscure web site. You have seen the same stuff for decades!

Ralph,

You haven't seen my exam questions - if they can find the answers on websites, more power to 'em!

I do recycle questions every few years - it is truly hilarious when a student gives me an 'A' answer to the WRONG question!  (And it is truly pathetic when a student gives me an 'E' answer to the right (or wrong) question!)

In my statistics classes I even try to warn them: "I'm sick and tired of the SAME wrong answers - here's where students USUALLY go wrong: if you HAVE to be wrong, at least be creative!"  It helps slightly, but not by much!

BTW, my all-time favorite cheating story (I think I've posted this before, but oh well), Robert Angell (emeritus professor at UM, and grandson of the guy for whom UM's #1 classroom building is named) received a paper in 'History of Sociological Theory'.  It rang a bell - HE had written the paper some 65 years before!  Some fraternity files are just too complete for their own good! ;)

Greek Tragedy

I was just trying to make it easier for you!  Limit it to 15 or 20 and your bound to get at least 25 different teams from all the posters.  That's all...  ;)  You still make it a Top 25.

I mean, Pat's poll goes to 25 but then there are like 15 other teams that get votes.  So, just trying to narrow it down for you.   ;D

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School on January 07, 2006, 02:01:43 AM
I was just trying to make it easier for you!  Limit it to 15 or 20 and your bound to get at least 25 different teams from all the posters.  That's all...  ;)  You still make it a Top 25.

I mean, Pat's poll goes to 25 but then there are like 15 other teams that get votes.  So, just trying to narrow it down for you.   ;D

Understood and appreciated!

Just didn't want #23, 24, and 25 to be 2 or 1 'quirky' votes - you've noticed, I'm sure, that the ORV's gets shorter and shorter as the season goes on.  I hope that people will be understanding if the poll results are sometimes delayed, but I'd rather do it right than do it quick!  (NOT to imply that this is a scientific poll, but let's pretend it means something!)

smedindy

I vote for 25. It is a top 25, after all. Without voting for 25 then it's not really a top 25.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: smedindy on January 07, 2006, 08:23:28 AM
I vote for 25. It is a top 25, after all. Without voting for 25 then it's not really a top 25.

I echo Scott's concern. Chuck, hold people's feet to the fire. Make everyone submit 25 teams, and don't count any ballots that have fewer than 25. How much harder is it to list 25 teams than 20 or 15 or 10, anyway?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Flying Dutch Fan

My 2 cents - I agree with Greg & Scott.  I think if you hold it to 25, you will also ensure that you get voters who are really committed -like maybe we should all be committed  ;) .

You can count me in - with great appreciation to you cabs!!!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Greek Tragedy

I'm down for whatever.

And I'm sure it's harder to pick 25 than 10!  ;D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ralph Turner

QuoteRalph,

You haven't seen my exam questions - if they can find the answers on websites, more power to 'em!

I do recycle questions every few years - it is truly hilarious when a student gives me an 'A' answer to the WRONG question!  (And it is truly pathetic when a student gives me an 'E' answer to the right (or wrong) question!)

In my statistics classes I even try to warn them: "I'm sick and tired of the SAME wrong answers - here's where students USUALLY go wrong: if you HAVE to be wrong, at least be creative!"  It helps slightly, but not by much!

BTW, my all-time favorite cheating story (I think I've posted this before, but oh well), Robert Angell (emeritus professor at UM, and grandson of the guy for whom UM's #1 classroom building is named) received a paper in 'History of Sociological Theory'.  It rang a bell - HE had written the paper some 65 years before!  Some fraternity files are just too complete for their own good! ;)

ROTFLMAO   :D :D :D :D

Mr. Ypsi

OK, like I said, I'm winging it!

But I'll go with smed, GS, and FDF - to be counted, ballots must have all 25 (otherwise, it DOES mess up the tabulations in the bottom of the poll.

Time permitting, I will send mistakes back for correction (I received the first ballot today, with Stout picked for both 20th and 22nd - if there is not time for correction [or I don't receive a correction], I WILL score such ballots, counting the double at the first spot, and moving everyone up one after the second spot - but please double-check your submissions).

Knightstalker

When is this poll starting?

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

hopefan

Yes, when are polls due, based on which games?  (thru Saturday, or Sunday?)

And how do you want them turned in  -  posted here, (which is kind of fun so potshots can be taken), or emailed to you as the most secret and secure data - so we can accuse you of rigging it!!! :D :D :D
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!