MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CNU85 on July 03, 2017, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 29, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
Well it isn't over to be sure. This entire new conference is going to force some serious decisions for a lot of people. That doesn't mean York isn't finally done with the CAC relationship despite years of loyalty and looks for a little more even playing field. That doesn't mean SVA isn't looking for something closer to home (i.e. the USA South - that is just me guessing; haven't heard a thing). It also doesn't mean others are fed up and decide to see if there are better pastures to graze in.

A lot of moving pieces... and the new conference hasn't, surprisingly, even formed as of yet.

I've always wondered if the CAC would try to find a few more football schools. Or convince a current member or two to start football.  I don't think the NJAC for football is along term solution. But. like you said...that's just me!

In my opinion, they made a move towards football with the addition of Southern Virginia... but then it went sideways. From what I have gathered, there is no attempt to add football in the near future. Far too complicated.

As for adding schools... who do you think they could add? There really aren't any options in this region left. That is the entire reason that if SV left and York was also compelled to leave... the CAC would be in serious jeopardy (and still may be) of dissolving.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 14, 2017, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on July 03, 2017, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 29, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
Well it isn't over to be sure. This entire new conference is going to force some serious decisions for a lot of people. That doesn't mean York isn't finally done with the CAC relationship despite years of loyalty and looks for a little more even playing field. That doesn't mean SVA isn't looking for something closer to home (i.e. the USA South - that is just me guessing; haven't heard a thing). It also doesn't mean others are fed up and decide to see if there are better pastures to graze in.

A lot of moving pieces... and the new conference hasn't, surprisingly, even formed as of yet.

I've always wondered if the CAC would try to find a few more football schools. Or convince a current member or two to start football.  I don't think the NJAC for football is along term solution. But. like you said...that's just me!

In my opinion, they made a move towards football with the addition of Southern Virginia... but then it went sideways. From what I have gathered, there is no attempt to add football in the near future. Far too complicated.

As for adding schools... who do you think they could add? There really aren't any options in this region left. That is the entire reason that if SV left and York was also compelled to leave... the CAC would be in serious jeopardy (and still may be) of dissolving.

Good points. And you are in the know more so than I am.  I really don't like all of the conference shuffling every year. But I'm old school. I think I said in an earlier post that I still miss the days of the Cincinnati Reds being in the same division as the LA Dodgers. The NL West

ronk

Old school would be the Reds in the same league as the Brooklyn Dodgers(no divisions). ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'd argue, we don't really have conference shuffling every year. Outside of a school here or there moving, the last time we had a major announcement was the Landmark creation over ten years ago. Yes, schools have moved but "significant" moves have happened every four or so years for the most part.

I was talking more about the region, the CAC, etc. today with a couple of SIDs in the area (as we all worked a separate event)... we didn't have any solutions, but it was fun to try and figure out where the chess pieces are to move. Rumors of TCNJ and Rowan being interested in leaving the NJAC (maybe the CAC could then grab them) continue to get thrown at me, but not sure that's going to happen - Rowan has been long thought to be moving to DII, but that has stalled. The speculation I have heard of Frostburg being pushed to DII got a bit more interesting today, but also not sure it will happen.

The long and short of it was this... if the CAC loses SV or York for obvious reasons... I am really not sure the CAC can save itself. Sad to be sure, but it would take another massive conference shuffle for the CAC to either save itself... or its members to save themselves.

(I also thought today that those listening to the three of us must have been completely confused especially at the level of detail we discussed this and other topics in DIII. LOL)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Quote from: ronk on August 02, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Old school would be the Reds in the same league as the Brooklyn Dodgers(no divisions). ::)

Or when they were the Redstockings or Redlegs?

Swish3

Being somewhat familiar w/the Wang twins, I'm surprised they ended up at Hood...there had to have been a lot more D3 schools w/much better programs interested in them.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Swish3 on August 07, 2017, 08:27:46 AM
Being somewhat familiar w/the Wang twins, I'm surprised they ended up at Hood...there had to have been a lot more D3 schools w/much better programs interested in them.

He's a great recruiter with some real ambition for the program.  I imagine they were sold a pretty nice vision of the future.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Swish3

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 07, 2017, 08:45:03 AM

He's a great recruiter with some real ambition for the program.  I imagine they were sold a pretty nice vision of the future.

He must be...those kids will likely be stars at Hood.

ronk

Quote from: Swish3 on August 07, 2017, 10:52:00 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 07, 2017, 08:45:03 AM

And I was thinking more of the 2 from good programs @ Wise and Mount Carmel.

He must be...those kids will likely be stars at Hood.

Swish3

CNU's first game is at R-MC...that will be a tough one!  The Captains still have some good players, but they lost a lot, and the Jackets really came around after a rough start.  I don't know that Marcus Carter will be available at the beginning of the season, which will hurt...need a big year from him and McFarland!

GO CAPS!

jesskleangda

Is Carter injured?  Why wouldn't he be available?  That could be significant. 

Couldn't be more excited for the 2017-2018 CAC season.

Swish3

Yeah, I believe he had surgery for some sort of lower leg issue...not sure if it was a knee, ankle or something else...w/the season approaching, I'll try to get an update.

You're a UMW fan, right?

jesskleangda

Goose_13

Holy crap!! Ferrum is going to the ODAC and Southern Virignia is (is that confirmed?) leaving the NJAC!? What rock have I been hiding under for the past 4 to 6 months!?! I even had lunch with a couple of my old cronies from CNU last week and they didn't even say anything about all of this. I'd hate to see the CAC go away, especially with it's longstanding tradition. I thought the move to the CAC was a must for CNU. Now it could be all for not. Can we speculate on the possibility of the CAC dissolving for a second. Where in the world would CNU end up?! I can't even wrap my head around it. The Ferrum move to the ODAC seems like a no brainer. Cuts down on some of those long trips to Georgia for sure, plus it's a private school in a conference filled with private schools, so I get that. Southern Virginia I can understand too, especially from a football standpoint and the travel. I'm not exactly in the know here, but in my experience, I didn't think SVA had a lot of money to be able to spend on travel as extensive as the NJAC can be, so is this a cost saving move? Definitely can see that. Whew that was a lot to catch up on in a matter of minutes. Love to hear anyone else's take on this or expanded take from what I've had a chance to read. Hope everyone is doing well!!