What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pat Coleman

It's always possible we could add message boards for more sports (though it's not possible to create entirely new sites to cover these sports). If you could pick one sport for us to add, what would it be?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

joehakes

Pat,

Having been in New England for six years, but also taking a look around the country, I think that lacrosse will be the "next big thing" in college sports.  This may be especially true in small college athletics.

The sport is fast, has contact, and keeps going.  The men's and women's games are quite different, but both involve a set of skills that is challenging and entertaining.  It is also a numbers sport with a smaller financial investment than football. 

The only caution that I would give you about adding a lax board is that the lacrosse community is a pretty well established, and large tribe that already has a number of web discussion opportunities.  But one specfic to DIII may be good.

the_cru

I am from Maryland and now live in New England.  Maryland rules the sport of Lax, and it is really a great sport.  More and more people are getting involved in it, and I dont think it will be long til everyone in New England has a Lacrosse stick.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: joehakes on January 30, 2006, 07:44:02 AM
The only caution that I would give you about adding a lax board is that the lacrosse community is a pretty well established, and large tribe that already has a number of web discussion opportunities.  But one specfic to DIII may be good.

Good points, Joe, especially the one I highlighted.

One possible additional caveat: D3 varsity lacrosse is pretty much limited to an area from Ohio to New England and to the southeastern states. Thus, there may not be much national interest in D3LAX.com.

On the other hand, at the club level, it's played by a number of MIAC venues. In Texas, there's a club league, a mixture of D3 and D1 institutions. I believe there's also something similar in California.

Overall, the sport is burgeoning at all levels. It's not as expensive as football,* nor do players have to be behemoths to compete well.

* E.g., in the MAC, a number of non-football members have taken it up in recent years: Messiah, Elizabethtown, DeSales.

Jacketlawyer

I have advocated lacrosse before, and do so now again.  131 DIII colleges have teams.  It's true that it's mostly an East Coast sport, but it is growing.  At least four more DIII schools plan on adding a varsity team within the next year or so.

I would love to see a site added only for DIII lax.
" and do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Jacketlawyer on January 30, 2006, 09:46:35 AM
At least four more DIII schools plan on adding a varsity team within the next year or so.

That's good news. Can you name them, please?

Jacketlawyer

Quote from: Warren Thompson on January 30, 2006, 09:56:59 AM
Quote from: Jacketlawyer on January 30, 2006, 09:46:35 AM
At least four more DIII schools plan on adding a varsity team within the next year or so.

That's good news. Can you name them, please?

Christopher Newport University in Virginia, and Adrian College in Michigan  come immediately to mind.  I'm gonna have to do some digging on the other two. ;D
" and do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew

Coach C

Pat et al -

I would agree that LAX is the way to go.  Although it has several established websites, D3Sports.com has a respected brand presence that could surmount the fact that there would not be any LAX content on the site.

C

viking68

From the great state of Iowa, I put in a vote for wrestling...

janesvilleflash

I would say wrestling, track, and softball, in that order. I know LAX is popular, but only to the people that are into it. The other sports, everyone can identify with more.
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

Ron Boerger

Gotta be soccer!  There are a whole lot more teams out there playing soccer than an east coast-focused sport like LaX:

Lacrosse:  132 men's, 157 women's
Soccer:  383 men's, 406 women's

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership_svcs/sponssummary for all sports

Gray Fox

I voted for track, but I think soccer is the best choice for Pat et. al.
Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Indoor T&F  Men 221,  Women 229
Outdoor      Men 249,  Women 259
Total                470              488

Two seasons, 4 sports, 958 total teams that could be housed on one single board (similar to one of the region child boards on the hoops boards). 

My thoughts on the layout for the T&F board are that we really don't need conference-specific or region-specific boards.  I would imagine one sub-board for:

(1)  links and references,
(2) a women's indoor,
(3) a women's outdoor board,
(4) a men's indoor board and
(5) a men's outdoor board.

The hyperlinks are frequently similar.  As for market-dominance, I know of no track sites similar to what we have here.  Track and field content seems different from Lacrosse or Soccer.

Could the management handle another fall sport like soccer to the expectations of the fans of this board in 2006-07?

Thanks to Pat for considering the question! :)

seventiesraider

As a High School track coach, I'd vote for Track & Field both out of self interest and the fact that track exists at schools that have never considered lacrosse or swimming. Anyway, it's my idea of the ultimate "love of the sport" activity.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

David Collinge

On behalf of the NCAC, I cast my vote for men's and women's swimming.  Swimming is a popular and widespread sport.  I realize that if you don't follow an NCAC team, you have no hope of cheering on a national championship team, but you can always dream... ::) :D

Seriously, though, my personal preference would be to create a board that would siphon off current discussions of a sport that is not football or basketball but takes up space on football or basketball pages.  I don't know what the worst offender is in this regard, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is lacrosse.